Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after years of riding supermotos, metric bikes, and dirt bikes, I am the proud new owner of a 2003 V-Rod. With the whole CCCovid-19 thing going on, a buddy of a buddy was in a tight spot and needed cash ASAP. I had cash, a truck and trailer, and I ended up with this "gem". Haha. It needs a little love, but overall it seems pretty solid. It has just a tick over 16k miles, and in rideable condition. Thought I would share the journey of making this ol' girl mine. Thanks for looking.

The good:
It was CHEAP
It has a title
It has most of the parts

The bad:
Needs a rear tire
Needs rear brake pads
Needs a rear seat mount
Custom bars won't work with insturment cluster
No air filter installed, none....
No license plate mount
No tail lights or rear turn signals
Needs an oil change
Needs a quiter exhaust
I'm sure I am missing a few small details.

Here are a few pics from the night I bought it. I took it to my local car wash and got some decent pictures.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle Engine Exhaust system

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spent a little time getting to know her a little better. I fit the air box, filter, and decided to go topless. I removed the rear tire, polished the wheel, and installed a new tire with balance beads, and replaced the wheel bearings.. If you have never used the zip tie method for swapping tires, you have to try it. It is my go to tire mounting/dismounting method.

I then fit the instrument cluster, made a license plate mount, added a tailight from my buggy project as a place holder, made a mount for the rear seat, and cleaned it up a bit

Table Furniture Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Engine Auto part

Land vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the instrument cluster is kinda hack, but it is attached, doesn't move, and functions as intended.

I couldn't stand how loud the exhaust was, so I made my own. 2.00 X .120 DOM, a 2.5" muffler from my buggy, and a little welding. It turned out okay for a first attempt. I LOVE how it sounds. It is loud, but not obnoxious, it has a very deep rumble, and cost me like $50.00. I am happy with that.

Automotive exhaust Auto part Pipe Metal Exhaust system

Tire Metal Automotive wheel system Fish Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this exhaust isn't for everyone, and it isn't 100% finished yet. I am trying to do this on a shoe string budget, as I have other projects that require most of my disposable income.

Thanks for looking!!

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Nice work. Keep posting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I could not stand feeling like I was on a rice rocket. I found 6 x 3 riser to get hand like e bars back so I could cruise down the road like you should be. Bought a small sheet of chrome diamond bent it made little shield for cluster drill s then made mounting cut for cluster remounted cluster then ever thing mounted back on a lot better ride. My bitch is 2009 muscle which I drove to tx to pick up oct 2008. And I still luv the thrill she gives.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i love it! kind of a Vrod chopper and it came with some nice extra chrome goodies. Nice fab work on your part. And that swingarm should polish out nice if you work on it. You might get busted without some rear signals though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Small update on the ol' V-Bob. I have just over 400 miles on it since I put the muffler on, and I love the sound. Under power at higher RPMs, it sounds like nothing I have ever heard. I had a buddy take it for a rip, and it sounds half RC-51, and half race car, definitely doesn't sound like a Harley at WOT. One small issue I had while riding, the nipple for the overflow tank snapped off, and started leaking coolant on the engine, kind of a bummer. Once I got that resolved, we are good to go.

A few questions:

Has anyone rebuilt the front brake master? It seems to have a slight internal leak, and isn't building pressure like it should. Calipers, pads, rotors are good and within spec. I swapped new fluid and bled the brakes with a vacuum bleeder, but no dice. Can't seem to get a decent brake feel. If you squeeze the lever all the way, it will apply adequate brake force. I feel like it should be better though.

I also have difficulty finding neutral once in a while, and when accelerating rapidly, sometimes it doesn't want to stay in second gear. It doesn't seem to pop out, just never really seems to pop into gear. I am used to metric sportbikes and supermotos, which have a much tighter/crisper shifting feel in my opinion. Maybe this is just something I need to get used to.

What are some comfort items that make this better suited to tall riders? I am 6'3" and find it somewhat uncomfortable after 30-45 minutes. Also the rear shocks suck, so I am looking into upgrades there.

In closing, this thing is way more fun than anticipated and gets to triple digit speeds scary quick.

Thanks for looking!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The nipple on the overflow bottle is a common issue and Harley has released a redesigned bottle w/o the nipple and you can get one from the dealer.

I rarely have the neutral (2nd gear miss) thing but it does happen. This is my first rod too so not sure if that's common to the model but it does happen occasionally.

Agree on the suspension. I've already replaced the front springs w/ a set of progressives and will be doing the rear shocks soon. Huge difference so far w/ just the front done.. highly recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The nipple on the overflow bottle is a common issue and Harley has released a redesigned bottle w/o the nipple and you can get one from the dealer.

Good to know, I haphazardly shoved a piece of 3/16 brake line in there to stop the leak for the time being.

I rarely have the neutral (2nd gear miss) thing but it does happen. This is my first rod too so not sure if that's common to the model but it does happen occasionally.

It really only happens when I am getting on it hard.

Agree on the suspension. I've already replaced the front springs w/ a set of progressives and will be doing the rear shocks soon. Huge difference so far w/ just the front done.. highly recommend.

I was looking at that today. Do you know by chance what kit you used?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts