Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
So I've been dicking around with the cam covers for a few days. Got the front one off finally. Went to put the new one on & of course it doesn't want to fit. I dont want to scratch it so I remove an allen screw from the head that holds 2 ground wires. Suddenly the washer slips out of my fingers and you get 1 guess were it went. I'm tired I never should have tried this now. If I would have waited I would have been less clumsy & more cautious.
LOL. Still haven't figured out why it is so much harder to put something back that you just took out. At least you didn't use Permatex to hold your gasket in place (did you?) like I did. No problems yet but I'm still holding my breath. :(

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
robbwest said:
LOL. Still haven't figured out why it is so much harder to put something back that you just took out. At least you didn't use Permatex to hold your gasket in place (did you?) like I did. No problems yet but I'm still holding my breath. :(
Negative on the permatex. I would only worry about that if it deteriorates the gasket material. I would check their website.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
Man that $ucks. That's why you should only let a qualified HD service technician work on your bike. :stilpoke:

The word "qualified" should never be paired with the words "HD service technician".....

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
Negative on the permatex. I would only worry about that if it deteriorates the gasket material. I would check their website.
Hope you're right. Apparently another forum member wasn't so lucky. I know Max recommends some kind of sticky grease. It's any excess that is the problem, not compatibility with the gasket itself.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
robbwest said:
Hope you're right. Apparently another forum member wasn't so lucky. I know Max recommends some kind of sticky grease. It's any excess that is the problem, not compatibility with the gasket itself.
When Permatex sets up it is rubbery, similar to the gasket. If you didn't get carried away I wouldn't think you would have a problem. The lip on the head where the covers sit is pretty wide. Also oil & the heat in that area isn't going to break down Permatex.

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
When Permatex sets up it is rubbery, similar to the gasket. If you didn't get carried away I wouldn't think you would have a problem. The lip on the head where the covers sit is pretty wide. Also oil & the heat in that area isn't going to break down Permatex.
Well I thought I was being conservative but I did clean up a little excess after tightening everything down. Anyhow I'm off to Little Sturgis so this will be the last thing on my mind for the next 4 days. Hold down the fort y'all.:D

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Ahhh....the open engine black hole. Hope you get that little bastard of a washer out, I'll have my fingeres crossed for you.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
Manual was the 1st thing I bought. Lowered the engine and still had a hell of a time getting the front cover off. I don't want them knicked up and this looked like an good alternative. 10 years ago I probably would have pushed the tool box over, screamed at anyone who I saw & went to the titty bar. Maybe I should do the last.
Greyson make sure when you put it back together go get some ball end allen wrenches, if you don't have them already.

Let us all know when you find the washer.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
smoothrod said:
Greyson make sure when you put it back together go get some ball end allen wrenches, if you don't have them already.

Let us all know when you find the washer.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm good to go with the tools. I hope the alternator cover is the trick. I replaced it already so I am "skilled" at it, lol. I'll be at it sometime tonight and let you guys know how I make out. I have some "man" business to take care of 1st though.

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
I've been off my bike for 2 months now because of my screw ups, but as mentioned before, I'd rather be the one messing it up and learning from it than having to wait for someone who is supposed to be "trained" and nearly take as long to fix it. I hope to be back up some time next week. Good luck bro.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
smoothrod said:
Dont panic man, take off your alternator cover after your drain your oil down and start looking with a flash light. It will be there somewhere.
+111

I would drain the oil and open up the side... it has to be in the timing chain somewhere.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
I would like to nominate myself for that award... perhaps a few links of this chain would make a nice plaque.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
I would like to nominate myself for that award... perhaps a few links of this chain would make a nice plaque.
Great pic, Joe! I'd love to hear the story behind THAT one... you know, learn from the master. :D

At least you F'd up in style!!!

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Omg!!!!!!!!

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
DrHeathenScum said:

So I shouldn't start the bike & hope the washer just disapers?

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I had the heads and cyclinders and pistons off to do a top end........very carefully, very cautiously, slowly and deliberately managed to drop a wrist pin in the opening. It promptly vanished. No amount of searching, flashlights, magnets helped. After a few hours, I decided to drink quite a bit of beer. Being a social guy, I had some friends over to help me drink, and to share my sad tale. Sure enough, the only guy who did not ride peers in, smiles, reaches in, and grabs the wrist pin, which he handed to me. I had just said how I would probably have to pull the engine.........So instead of crying into my beer, it turned into a celebration! Hope it works out the same for you!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts