Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been dicking around with the cam covers for a few days. Got the front one off finally. Went to put the new one on & of course it doesn't want to fit. I dont want to scratch it so I remove an allen screw from the head that holds 2 ground wires. Suddenly the washer slips out of my fingers and you get 1 guess were it went. I'm tired I never should have tried this now. If I would have waited I would have been less clumsy & more cautious.

·
I know,I know..apes?
506 Posts
That sucks! Stuff like that ALWAYS happens to me. Can you use a magnet to get it out. I would say take a break until you are fresh,but if you are like me, it will dig at you until it's finished. Good Luck!

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
Man that sucks.... just fire it up and maybe it will make change...sorry couldn't help it man...

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Dont panic man, take off your alternator cover after your drain your oil down and start looking with a flash light. It will be there somewhere.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Dude SO sorry!!! You know that there are countless of us here that have done something similar and can really feel your pain. :cheers:

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
Feel for ya man... Get some rest,,, Inspection mirror, telescoping magnet, and led mag light. Good hunting!!

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smoothrod said:
Dont panic man, take off your alternator cover after your drain your oil down and start looking with a flash light. It will be there somewhere.
Thanks for the info. And thanks for all the support. I am done for the night. I'll get an flexable magnet and try that for a few minutes before I pull the alternator. Doubt I'll have any luck though. It was like slow motion watching it go. Who knew you could see it bounce off so many parts. I already know I'll have bad dreams tonight.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Man that $ucks. That's why you should only let a qualified HD service technician work on your bike. :stilpoke:

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
That sucks, I will tell you the stupid ass stuff I've done so far putting my motor back together to make you feel better.

1 I mixed the cams up on the rear, but checking lash I realized this.
2 I plugged in the wrong connector on the coil, it was the security alarm plug.
3 Then I think the rotor key sheared off because of me. So I'm a dumbass also so don't feel bad.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
Man that $ucks. That's why you should only let a qualified HD service technician work on your bike. :stilpoke:

Yeah imagine what all they do also, and you wonder why your labor bill is as much as it is.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vrod-Mike said:

Ha Ha. Even with this mistake I would rather do my own work as long as I can handle it. I just enjoy it, mistakes & all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rule #1 If there's a hole something is going in it. :hidesbeh:

Don't sweat it though some of the best experiences come from the worst luck. When I went through MMI, a guy I was working with (on a V-Rod) was getting on my nerves and I let it bother me so much that as I was harping on him to do something (he was lazy as hell) I dropped a screw in the vehicle speed sensor hole. After being "P.O.ed" at him and me for about 10 minutes I decided to make the best of it and asked the teacher of the next session if I could stay and fix it. It took me almost all of the next class but I got the engine out, split the cases, and reassembled everything and got the bike buttoned up and started. All in all I ended up having the best day at school of the whole year.

p.s. you do have the manual and know to lower the engine to get the covers off right? :stilpoke:

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
Ha Ha. Even with this mistake I would rather do my own work as long as I can handle it. I just enjoy it, mistakes & all.

I was just busting chops. I would never bring my bike to a dealer for service. I also enjoy doing the work myself. I'm considering doing a turbo and if I do get it I'll do the install. That should be fun for someone that has never done it before. Good luck finding that washer.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
X1 MIKE said:
p.s. you do have the manual and know to lower the engine to get the covers off right? :stilpoke:
Manual was the 1st thing I bought. Lowered the engine and still had a hell of a time getting the front cover off. I don't want them knicked up and this looked like an good alternative. 10 years ago I probably would have pushed the tool box over, screamed at anyone who I saw & went to the titty bar. Maybe I should do the last.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
I was just busting chops. I would never bring my bike to a dealer for service. I also enjoy doing the work myself. I'm considering doing a turbo and if I do get it I'll do the install. That should be fun for someone that has never done it before. Good luck finding that washer.
I know you where. When I find the washer I'm bringing it to the BBQ.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
I'll make a plaque out of it for you. "What not to do when pulling cam covers" :)
It could be named the "I Screwed The Pooch Award". Everytime some "screws the pooch" we add their name & the part. I could be the Stanley Cup of F'n up.

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
If your not making mistakes, you are probably not doing anything! I was setting my cam advance and dropped a 10mm wrench in there, looked and looked and could not find it, when I finally did find it, it was stuck to the back of the alternator fly wheel by the alternator magnets. At least I already had the side cover off.

Mike

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
It could be named the "I Screwed The Pooch Award". Everytime some "screws the pooch" we add their name & the part. I could be the Stanley Cup of F'n up.

Better make it big then cause I screw up a lot. Just ask my wife. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts