Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend wants to race my scooter in his 03 mustang 5 speed for 500 bones from a 5-10 mph roll, here is a list of mods he has

4.10 gear, nitto drags, upper and lower control arms, rear seat delete, pulleys, cold air intake, off road x-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, subframe connectors, 31 spline posi, 31 spline moser axles, 160 thermostat,

What do you think the results will be?

Chad

·
Registered
214 Posts

Is the $500 enough to cover your insurance deductible?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
chad said:
Convincing proof that Darwin was right?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Raced one from a 50mph roll last week...with some REAL motor work......he started it......I finished it!! And then cried about it at the stop light. Told him I'd break-out the Trans Am ws6 - not stock- and smoke his arse again........nuf said.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Chad,
IF you know how to ride, you will smoke him. Even at a roll on, you will need to slip the clutch to get the best possible hole shit. That Disgustang is capable of low 13's with said mods. Your V-Rod is good for high 11's (if stock) with a competent rider. Make sure you know what you are doing, and then take his $$.

John

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Not from personal experience, but as I understand it, good drag racing requires a lot of practice and familiarity with your machine, and getting the most out of it. They'll be close enough so that you'll have to be *right on* in order to win, but the same will be true for the driver of the 'stang (if it's a standard xmission). Which is good, as that makes the race a bit fairer, and based on skill as well as the machine.
so:
Practice, Practice, Practice.

Then, when you feel comfortable- pony up your $500 and be sure to let us know how it goes.

The Power to Weight ratios do not indicate much, if any advantage to the VROD. The Mustang, with mods, can push well over 400 ponies (and as many ft-lbs of torque) on probably just over 3,300 lbs (if he's lightened it by doing things such as removing the seat).

Sounds like a damn good and fair race to me, and the 'roll-on' will probably work a bit in his favor- reducing the tire spin opportunity.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
morey000 said:
The Power to Weight ratios do not indicate much, if any advantage to the VROD. The Mustang, with mods, can push well over 400 ponies (and as many ft-lbs of torque) on probably just over 3,300 lbs (if he's lightened it by doing things such as removing the seat).
Based on his minor motor mods, Intake, Exhaust and Pulleys, he's lucky if he's making 290 crank HP. Probably making about 240 at the rear wheels. (stock is 260 crank HP)

Screw the roll on street race. Take the car and bike down to the local drag strip on a "test and tune" night. Everything else is just BS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's all rider, no matter what type of race it is all rider

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
I ran a Mustang in the track championship run-offs- he was dialed in around 13.xx. One of the funnest races of the year for me since I was chasing him - Passed around 2/3 track ( I cut an .002 light) and rolled off and rode through the traps with front tire just ahead of his - VRod had it solid on top end - also, cars will typically launch harder than VRods - therefore he is not doing himself any favors by going for a roll on approach - If you have a 2002 or 2003 without a 28 tooth this really plays in your favor. I would nail the throttle and fan the clutch quickly (28lbs psi in rear tire) assuming 2003 or 2002 with standard 30 tooth front sprocket shift at 55mph and 85 pmh - you will still be in third at end of 1/4 mile at about 110 to 115. I would recommend that you race at a drag strip were it is both safe and legal. I am not familiar with the impact of the mods - John Kaz and others know cage racing set ups - but if he has less than 300 HP it would be no contest. Also, make sure that he knows what he is doing so that you do not come out of there in a bodybag - I have seen some preety bad things happen when inexperienced drivers take to the track.
Kevin

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Take his money.Probably the easiest money you'll make.But watchout,He could have a bottle hiden somewhere.:teu26 He would need at least a 150 shot to hang:D You can hide N2O just about anywhere now.:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Easy Money. He has a 14 second car 13 at best. No real motor work there.

Take it from a Mustang freek....You can take him. If it was an blown 03 or o4 Cobra with some work I would say it would be a race.

2003 V-Rod
2004 1200C

2003 Mustang COBRA BLACK COUPE
Eaton SuperCharged
2.9 Ultra Grip Pulley
Billet Flow Throttle Body & Plenum (Engraved Terminator)
Diablosport Custom Tune
Amazon Racing Stage 1 Filter Kit
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
Flowmaster Catback
MM Polyurethane Bushings
Kirban Shifter
Chrome Cobra Inserts
Chrome SVT Wheels
Nitto Extreme NT555R 135/35R/17
Cobra Grill Emblem
Chrome Pulley Cover
Chrome Bullet Fuel Door