Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the bike, now comes all of the fun of mods. Problem being I have yet to build a nice tool kit to complement the bike. Just wanted to take a poll to see what the opinion is for must have tools for any VRSC owner. What does everyone suggest??

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Kurtbuckeye said:
Ok so I have the bike, now comes all of the fun of mods. Problem being I have yet to build a nice tool kit to complement the bike. Just wanted to take a poll to see what the opinion is for must have tools for any VRSC owner. What does everyone suggest??
One 5mm allen wrench...

·
My High
359 Posts
Well lets see I`m sure someone will chime in here as well,,,, Metric socket set assortment( deep well and standard ),,allen sockets metric,,,rubber strap wrench and rubber mallet(LOL) and keep them clean as well (don`t want that chrome scratched) box end and open end wrench set all in metric,, Try sears for a nice set,,,,,,T

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Deff. a set of Torx Sockets, Oil filter socket wrench, full set of american & metric sockets, allen wrenches, and sockets, torque wrench, magnet extenstion, all sorts of extensions and ratchets, and the usual variety of other tools

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
A good set of Metric allen sockets is a must eBay is a good start. A Sears Craftsman bike jack is good to own also.

Welcome fellow BUCKEYE..........Go Bucks!

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Deff. a set of Torx Sockets, Oil filter socket wrench, full set of american & metric sockets, allen wrenches, and sockets, torque wrench, magnet extenstion, all sorts of extensions and ratchets, and the usual variety of other tools
:them: ...Don't forget about the bike jack! Gots to have one of those too!

·
Freedom
614 Posts
Torx sockets...both male and female sets.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
A cresenthammer!

Just kidden. I have seen V-rod tool kits for sale on Fleabay, it comes with assortment of goodies for the V. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
Here's my take.... Items marked with * are suggested for on-the-road tool kit.

Metric Sockets (inc. correct sizes for axle nut and clutch nut)
Torx Sockets
Allen Sockets
*Allen sticks
*Metric wrenches (prefer ratcheting type)
Sears yellow jack
Protection shrouds for paint/fenders
Lock-tite (red and blue)
Graphite lock lube
Brake bleeder (Order from 1130cc.com)
Tank removal tool(Order from 1130cc.com)
*Screwdrivers
*Flashlight
*Zip ties
*24" baling wire
*Electrical tape
*Fuses
*Leatherman multi-tool with full accessory bits (includes torx, allen, screwdrivers, etc)

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Ahhh. A cell phone.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I see all the standard things, socket set, wrench set, allen sockets, etc etc etc. But what about the specialty items that don't come in sets? I just got done doing the tank mod, progressive springs, digital dawg keyless, etc. and had to use a large crescent wrench for the fork caps and rear axel. What are the specialty sizes of the larger nuts and bolts that would be required as extras? Also, the front brake calipers were attached with an odd bolt. My 10mm wrench fit on it, but not my socket so could not torque it, but came close by hand. Is there a special socket for this, or just need a 12 point or something?

Had to replace multiple allen bolts as the round head ones had a tendency to strip (bottom of forks).

Glenn

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Geez, is this for your shop of to carry on the bike? For travelling on the bike the Cruz Tools tool roll that the dealers sell is perfectly adequate. All I could think to add would be a few carefully chosed ( for size ) six sided and torz sockets and some slip jaw plyers. For a home shop you can be extravegant since size and weight aren't a consideration.
Don't know if a bike lift is really necessary. I think a Baxley Wheel Chock and a good scissors lift are enough for routine maintenance including lowering the engine for valve adjustment.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I think Pondo was on the right road....what is a good set of tools to carry on the bike?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts