Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from the title, to all the guys who have a vrscf,plese write here you opinions about good and bad points

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
I'll get the ball rolling I guess.

My biggest bone to pick, engine covers. I hate polished aluminum, it's a pain to clean, hard water spots are a nightmare...it's bad enough that there are so many hard to reach places to clean as it is, making it hard as hell to remove on top of that is even worse. I wish I had the extra cash to just chrome everything for this reason, drives me bloody nuts.

You pretty much can't ride the F in the rain. Sure, who would want to yea yea, but being caught in a random rain storm sucks because the rear tire will make sure you wear anything it touches in a bad way, I've been caught in 3 storms already, and had to replace all 3 shirts with a perfect black stripe right down the center, damn.

On the good side the bike has great brakes, get the anti-lock installed it's a must, extremely worthwhile can't stress it enough. Also if you like attention this is your ride, because everyone will be asking questions and checking the bike out because so few people even know what it is. I couldn't count the number of stoplight conversations I've had, which I enjoy and think is pretty cool. :)

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
The good
Inverted forks
Best 240 wheels on a v-rod yet
the bad
I hate the cheap looking handle bar set up
Ship anchor stock exhaust

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
IMHO
Pro's: 240 rear, the dual exhaust, the molded handlebars, the inverted front forks, the LED Brakes and Turn Signals.
Con's: Polished wheels, covers, and swimgarm. Not enough pullback or height on the bars. The ridiculous air box cover with 10 extra bolts to take it off. The cheesy looking front fender. The rear end before I put the International license plate mount on it. The seat.
Otherwise, it is a normal Harley that I have modded and made my own.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
i have owned alot of bikes from street rods to hayabusa's. The best part? a big ASS tire (i went to a 260 with 2 miles on it) a huge plus for harleys IMOP. my biggest knock on harleys has always been big bikes but skinny tires,,,, a weird look to say the least. I think the stock pipes along with big tire and low looks liek a hotrod.

Fast? sure its fast enuf for a cruiser. The front brakes are really good with dual disc. The ride position alot of guys hate (feet forward and reaching) but for me its cumfy. I got new front pegs and turned the controls over and its even better. Fuel injection is really good and controls are decent and i like the gauges. Of course water cooled and the trans/motor sharing oil is nice.

dont likes???? HMMMM??????? paint options so i went black and will change next winter. Maybe some ghost flames would be killer.

·
Registered
658 Posts
After only 2 weeks of ownership I'm loving my F (my first HD product)

But one thing that really annoys me is the key lock system. This would apply to all HD's I think.
It is just so fiddley to use and the steering lock being separate is even worse. Especially if your eyes aren't what they used to be close up
My previous Yamaha Roadliner had one key operation to turn on the ignition and unlock the steering....much much better system

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm from Perth too - I've had my F since November last year.
Pros:
Lots of polished alloy - I don't like chrome, and I don't mind polishing. and yes I do ride it - 4000km now.
The look of the bike - mine is vivid black, and I like the twin pipes.
The wheels - look great.
ABS brakes - first bike I have ever had with ABS - brilliant!
The seat - its comfortable and looks good.
The engine - its a pearler! I have fited a SERT and TAB airfilter - more responsive now and I love revving it
Handling generally - once you get used to the weight and 240 tyre, its good.
LED indicators and tail light.
Cons:
Forward controls. You sit on the damn bike like sack of s***! I am getting mid-mount foot controls.
The fuel gauge!
The name - "Muscle" no further comment
The headlight - useless
Rear dampers - I will go with IKON units later, and maybe lighter oil in the front forks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Pros:
Lots of polished alloy - I don't like chrome, and I don't mind polishing. and yes I do ride it - 4000km now.
The wheels - look great.
The engine - its a pearler! I have fited a SERT and TAB airfilter - more responsive now and I love revving it
Cons:
Forward controls. You sit on the damn bike like sack of s***! I am getting mid-mount foot controls.
The fuel gauge!
The headlight - useless
Rear dampers - I will go with IKON units later, and maybe lighter oil in the front forks
I've talked myself out of more than one F due to the foward controls. How much is the mid conversion and where do you get it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've talked myself out of more than one F due to the foward controls. How much is the mid conversion and where do you get it?
I have ordered V-Mod mid controls, about $550AUD (VMod.com) With our south pacific peso at parity with the greenback its worth it, and the air freight from Wisconsin (did I spell that correctly?) to Western Australia isn't that much.
When I have installed them and ridden the bike I will post an assessment.
Don't talk yourself out of a VRSCF - they are awesome:) I sold a Triumph Thruxton to buy mine. Even at inflated Aussie prices ($28k) it was worth every cent. Closest modern equivalent I can think of to a 20s Brough!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pros:
The wheels - look great.
Cons:
The fuel gauge!
The headlight - useless
After getting back from a 500km ride today I hate the seat.
Other than that and the fact I like forward contols I agree with your pros and cons
Talk about stiff suspension!
Hit a few sharp bumps on Chittering Valley Road ...OUCH
Let me know when you do the shocks and maybe we could get a better price for 2 sets

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Since the pros are so many I will list the cons first.

Polished aluminum
stock exhaust
no 6th gear

Everything else is a plus. It is fast and handles well. Seat is ok, headlight is fine with the HID kit installed. Overall look is great.
That damned satin/ polished aluminum combination is horrid. It looks ok at first, then you start to realize you can't get it to shine right. All of it will be coming off in time. Will either be powdered or chromed.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
That damned satin/ polished aluminum combination is horrid. It looks ok at first, then you start to realize you can't get it to shine right. All of it will be coming off in time. Will either be powdered or chromed.
Glad someone agrees, I can't stand it. Too bad it costs a fortune to chrome stuff plus pouring all your fluid all over taking off some of the stuff that would need to be chromed...sigh, maybe this winter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My pros: The low ride of the bike; you have more control when at lights and slowing down. I love the polished look and the contrasting colors (mine is silver). I love the wheels and the fat back tire. The led lights and nothing sticking out (nice smooth look). The seat is very comfortable. Smooth ride. Lots of attention from on-lookers. The ABS rocks! Modern look. Fuel injection. It will fly, way faster than alot of air cooled HD bikes out there (ask me how I know ;-) )
Cons: The exhaust is kinda bulky and very long (it catches alot of debris). It is very heavy. It has kind-of a whiney sound from the engine with the stock exhaust. No 6th gear! (what were they thinking)!? Lots to polish, but that gives you time to be proud of what you are cleaning! Lots of air cooled HD riders don't know what it is. Most people don't know it's a HD!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Love the bike but now starting to notice the cons
Can't see $hit out of the mirrors as they vibrate
Just burnt my leg on the pipes walking it around the garage

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pros: tire, forward controls (once reversed fit perfectly), low cg, not the average looking bike and draws attention, sound once the pipes were changed

Cons: more mods from vendors, more exhaust options on look and noise level, that roostertail in the rain (helps to have to rear bag on to keep it off your back), more seat options (corbins seems nice, but a bit hi on the rear seat, more mirror options with integrated lights. This is more of a wish list, I Love This Bike! Oh, the 260 Metz should be stock :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey I like it ...seating position for me could have been custom measured..perfect. no real cons for me aside from mebbe the aluminum, but i'd be bitching about chrome if it was there instead, comfy as all get out , even after a 1000km day, old lady goes to sleep on the back. Tons of pull with both of us!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts