Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding my new 2011 Muscle and I'm quite happy with it except suspensions. They are ridicolous for a very expensive byke like this one. If you find a bump it will be on your spine.Be aware to keep your mouth open if you don't want your dentist to take care of you!! I had many BMW bykes before but no one was so terrible as far as suspension is concerned.I'm reading around in many forums and I understood the best way is Progressive Shocks 440-4071 rear and Ricor valve and 10W oil into forks. All this means around 950 bucks.It is a considerable amount of money that I'm happy to spend only IF I'm going to solve the problem and I'm not ready to do it if it is going just better. What do you think?
Thanks
GFZ

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
I went with Ricor Intiminators and their shocks and I am totally pleased. Had a good bit of discussion with Brian @ Ricor and I to go with their 13" shocks.

Got the Intiminators first and the reduction of brake dive was so dramatic it was strange for the first couple of rides. Waited a little while for the shocks to get built and hated, even more, the way my stock shocks sent every bump straight through my spine. After getting the Ricor shocks it just mows over the bumps and without taking away the feeling of what the bike is doing while leaned over.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I do not believe Ricor makes an emulator for the Muscles inverted forks... You options on the front are basically send your forks to race tech and have them rework them.....

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
I do not believe Ricor makes an emulator for the Muscles inverted forks... You options on the front are basically send your forks to race tech and have them rework them.....
Overlooked the inverted forks. So when it comes to options for the front end, you may indeed be forked.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
I will write more later. I am at work. I did my suspension. Traxxtion Dynamics rewworked my forks and put Bitubo shocks on the back. Very happy.
Tell you more later when I can spend more time on the computer.

Bicep

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
These are the ones you want. 13 inches eye to eye. (330 MM) WMT 01 is red springs, WMT 02 is black springs, WMT -03 is chrome springs.
They have compression damping, rebound damping and perload adjustment. They use racing shock technology. They are basic racing shocks. The 440 don't have these manual adjustments.
Bitubo will also put the proper "spring rate" spring on your shock for you. Based on your weight, the bikes weight and your riding style, and set the spring preload.

I would buy these all over again. They are more money than 440's but I think they would out perform the 440's.

Also the forks. I was the first to have my Muscle's forks done at Traxxion Dynamics. They now know what to do to the muscle's forks because they use mine as a prototype. Again, Big difference.

Every time I ride. I love what I have done to my suspension.
I felt the same way you do about the ride quality. It handled like crap. Shocks bottom out all the time. I weigh 250 lbs. Stock was just not working. I spent a lot of money, but I plan to keep my bike for a long time. These mods make the bike a pleasure to ride through the entire ride, not just in between bumps. It lays over in a turn and stays right there. No bouncing or bucking. The brake dive is gone. The front end is at the top of it's travel and is supported much better because of the proper "spring rate" springs that are now in the forks. I don't drag my heels on the ground anymore. It made the bike turn much easier and that feeling of heaviness in the steering got lighter.

I just got back from a ride with my daughter on the back. She loves the way the bike rides now. She is 18 and doesn't know anything about Motorcycle handling. But she knows the difference between what it was like before and what it is like now.

Go to Bitubo's web site and click on the search tab. Click on the manufacture. find and click on Harley-Davidson, Kind, Click on Moto. Then Search. go to the next page to find the V-Rods. Click on any model V-Rod. They they are, your new shocks.

http://www.bitubo.com/
http://www.traxxion.com/

Bicep

Attachments

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Sorry, After all that, I forgot to mention the tires. They are also part of what makes a bike handle. I got rid of the Dunlaps and got Metzeler ME 880 Marathon front and rear. Stock sizes. 38 lbs. of air in the front, 42 lbs. of air in the rear.

Bicep

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
13" 440's and their stock size springs in the front. Cost me about $550 shipped. Shop around/wait for a deal. The ride is sweet. Then get some Avon Cobras.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, After all that, I forgot to mention the tires. They are also part of what makes a bike handle. I got rid of the Dunlaps and got Metzeler ME 880 Marathon front and rear. Stock sizes. 38 lbs. of air in the front, 42 lbs. of air in the rear.

Bicep
My Muscle is 2011 then has Michelin Scorcher 11.I don't know the difference with others but my problem is riding in town where old road are full of bumping. Do you know road with stones?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'd look into getting Ricor or Racetech valves and springs along with light weight fluid for the forks if they're available for the Muscle and Works Street Trackers or better shocks for the rear. The valves and lightweight fluid in the forks makes a world of difference on dicey roads.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
if you got the cash, then, get a lighter front rim, you'll be pleased
if you have more cash, go Ohlins upside down,,,

good rear shocks will vastly improve the ride, and you could just replace the fork oil with the thinner stuff, SE fork oil or some of Ohlins fork oil

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The SE oil is actually heavier. Without going to some kind of valve in the forks, I don't think thinner oil is a good idea using the stock plunger rod set up.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
I am not sure on the F forks that the valve would work, those forks have a different lay-out right tube, left tube,
And i know nothing of oils and lubricants,

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
My Muscle is 2011 then has Michelin Scorcher 11.I don't know the difference with others but my problem is riding in town where old road are full of bumping. Do you know road with stones?
In the USA we call those kind of roads "A Cobblestone Road"

I don't know any way to fix your ride quality on a Cobblestone road.

Bicep

Attachments

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
In the USA we call those kind of roads "A Cobblestone Road"

I don't know any way to fix your ride quality on a Cobblestone road.

Bicep
There really is not a perfect solution for cobblestone roads here in Italy. The Ricor setup on my bike has helped to improve the ride on roads like that, but it still feels like running over a bunch of stones. Like riding washboard you can get more speed and smooth things out a bit, until you realize that many of the roads like that over here are extremely slick.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
There really is not a perfect solution for cobblestone roads here in Italy. The Ricor setup on my bike has helped to improve the ride on roads like that, but it still feels like running over a bunch of stones. Like riding washboard you can get more speed and smooth things out a bit, until you realize that many of the roads like that over here are extremely slick.
Move?

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
Funny! Going to be here for another two and a half years dealing with cobblestone roads in ten minute doses.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts