Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 09 bike 2 weeks ago, I cleaned er right up. I even cleand the inside center part of the Slip-on pipes that were installed.

They were black, So i spray 9'd em and cleaned them back up to normal grey/silver color. After about 200miles later, there turning black again.

Does this lead me to beleive that im running too rich? or is this normal for soot to be exiting the mufflers? I also notice black specs on my rear rim after a few short rides.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
When I got my 09 bike 2 weeks ago, I cleaned er right up. I even cleand the inside center part of the Slip-on pipes that were installed.

They were black, So i spray 9'd em and cleaned them back up to normal grey/silver color. After about 200miles later, there turning black again.

Does this lead me to beleive that im running too rich? or is this normal for soot to be exiting the mufflers? I also notice black specs on my rear rim after a few short rides.
yes black soot = to rich

·
Work in Progress.
448 Posts
Ours always go black because we have no lead in our gas.

Gone are the good old days of tuning by your exhaust colour.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
yes you could be to rich on accel and to poor on decel, somebody correct me if i am wrong, and you could have a leak at the gasket headers or loose clamp at the slipon so air come in and pop

·
Registered
49 Posts
Open cans will always pop.
If you've got the PC go to the zero coloum and add some +, but only @ 2k and above, bit of trial and error. Wont eliminate but will reduce alot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ours always go black because we have no lead in our gas.

Gone are the good old days of tuning by your exhaust colour.
yes you could be to rich on accel and to poor on decel, somebody correct me if i am wrong, and you could have a leak at the gasket headers or loose clamp at the slipon so air come in and pop
yes black soot = to rich
Man, one says too rich, one says unleaded gas, another says this and another says that.

This forum is giving me a complex. Im just gunna drive the shit out of my bike and forget about it.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Open cans will always pop.
If you've got the PC go to the zero coloum and add some +, but only @ 2k and above, bit of trial and error. Wont eliminate but will reduce alot.
He probably do not have a PCV he did not mention any tuner, but i assume he has a V&H tuner then you can't ad gaz on decel

anyway ride shit of it but be careful:moped:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I bought the bike used, it was said to have the stage 1, SE filter, V&H pipes and a SEPST. But I did not get the SEPST with the bike, the seller was the second owner and the original owner didn't give it to him, and he never knew the difference.

So anyway, is it possible for the tuner to make one cylinder richer than the other? or is this a throttle body or injector adjustment?

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
I'm pretty sure, based on my own experience and the many accounts right here on this forum that a basic fuel map from your tuner will not suffice. You have to get a dyno tune from an expert to really get it right.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
Get it tuned by a good dyno guy. I just had mine done by Dr Dyno when he was in York this week. Runs really good now and the AFR line on the dyno graph is really nice and flat now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts