Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is looking at buying his first v twin after owning a cbr 600. He has narrowed it down between a vrod muscle and a yamaha warrior. We just went and looked at this warrior last night for $7200.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/51-...12-2002-12k-miles-pr108-240-chrome-black.html

and also looked at an 09 muscle with 3k miles for 15k...vance and hines pipe with auto tune.

opinions, thoughts??? Money is an issue...

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i'd say go for the vrod but not a muscle. i like the warrior too but not crazy over yamaha's

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,389 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.com -- if money is an issue then the answer is obvious.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If he looks around he can find a new Warrior for under $7k, a little more for a midnight ed. If he plans on hanging onto it he can purchase a YES 4 year warranty online for around $400.

$15k seems spendy for a used Muscle. I'd shop a little harder.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I agree, a two year old Muscle can be had cheaper. Look around a little. I'd take the V over the Warrior, but not at twice the money.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Of course most of us will be bias here seeing since is a HD forum. Anyways, my opinion is Vrod also. I'm by no means a Jap bike hater. I had a 2004 Yamaha Yzf r1 prior to my Vrod and loved it. I love it so much when I decided to slow my life down I was looking hardcore into a Warrior also. I was sold on the looks of it and with the mods and ad ons it really improves the look of the bike. Some how I my search started to shift towards the Vrod. Once I sat on a Vrod and really started to compare the two I was sold on the HD. Just seemed more of a solid overall better bike for the long run. It was definitely more pricey but a stock Vrod was everything I wanted from a heavily modded Warrior. It just seemed like the Warrior was trying to be everything the Vrod already is.

Have him really look at both. Sit on them, ride them, etc etc then decide. And once again...the money thing may be the ultimate choice. Cruise the for sale section here....tons of deals.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
New 2011 Muscle is listed at $15K, it has a satin chrome look to the "shiny" bits. I like it as it is. 2009s are over priced as they were much higher list price in 2009. You would have to really want the V&H pipes over any others or insist in the original being included.

2002 Yamaha sounds high at the price he wants. Bunch of mods included have to be to your taste to be worth anything.

If I could swing it I would buy a new Vrod muscle with ABS and ride it stock for a while. I did ride the big Yamaha twin in 2002 and It was trying to be an air-cooled Harley. Glad to get off, a long test ride is the only way to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I agree, a two year old Muscle can be had cheaper. Look around a little. I'd take the V over the Warrior, but not at twice the money.
So I take it you have a Warrior? I did and would pay twice the money for a vrod! No question about it!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys thanks for all the input thus far. I was kinda looking for reasons as to why to pick one over the other. I've heard guys that have had both and they all have the same opinion...the warrior is faster out of the hole, but then the v-rod catches and smokes the warrior. The vrod handles like a turd compared to the warrior. We live in the mountains of western NC and there are ALOT of twisties here, handling is important.

This is a vrod forum and i expect that 90% of you are going to say vrod as naturally you are biased, but i was really hoping to find some opinions of guys that have had both...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will say that if I were to buy a Harley it would absolutely buy a vrod. Great looks and awesome power. But I will say that they were sleeping when they designed the suspension on these things. I mean dual direct coil overs??? Screaming power with wooden wagon wheel suspension...

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'd get an older V-Rod that could be had for around $7-8K. I wouldn't own a Warrior if it was gifted to me. It's an air cooled pushrods engine. The V-Rod will destroy it from any speed to any other speed. Properly riden, the V-Rod can do 0-60 in just over 3 seconds and the quarter in the mid to low 11s.

I'm not trying to be an A-hole here but there is really no good excuse for bikes like the Warrior to even exist except for companies like Yamaha wanting to pick up the scraps from people who want and can't afford a Harley. Yamaha makes such masterpieces as the V-Max and the R1. Why on earth would a company that can make those two bikes stoop to the level of making a 102ci, 48°, air cooled, pushrod motor? There is no reason at all except for what I just pointed out. The Warrior might as well come with a "I couldn't afford a Night train" helmet sticker. Yamaha makes great bikes but they should be ashamed of themselves for making the Warrior.

At least the V-Rod, with all of it's many faults, is about as good a Harley can manage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having had both a warrior and a DX, I'd say if he can afford it go with the VRSC for sure. The Warrior was a fun bike, but its just not even in the same league as the VRSC. I put more miles on the DX in 6 months than I did on the warrior in 2 years. Just so much more fun to ride.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
friends don't let friends choose an inferior bike. fer christsakes, get the vrod. as for the extra cost, you can't take that money with you when entering the clearing at the end of the path.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is a nobrainer! Of course get the VROD! Just like what was said before you can get a nice used vrod for what he is willing to spend on a warrior and that bike dont even come close to the vrod in power, fit and finish, and everything else.

·
Registered
527 Posts
As was already written...Find a vrsc closer in price to the warrior and do it. :cheers:

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
look in the classifieds on this site.........you ndon't need to spend 15k to get a VROD

·
Registered
399 Posts
Guys thanks for all the input thus far. I was kinda looking for reasons as to why to pick one over the other. I've heard guys that have had both and they all have the same opinion...the warrior is faster out of the hole, but then the v-rod catches and smokes the warrior. The vrod handles like a turd compared to the warrior. We live in the mountains of western NC and there are ALOT of twisties here, handling is important.
Easy to find a nice VRSCR Street Rod for $7K ish with low miles. That would work real well in the twisties,smoke the Yamaha and not break the budget. You couldn't go wrong.

·
Captain DeadPool
660 Posts
I'm from that part of the country....Murphy NC. It doesn't get any more western in NC than that. Sayin the VROD handles like a turd is like saying a Porsche handles like a turd. I bet it does compared to a Ferrari. I have ran the dragon on an DX and scraped the hell out of the pegs. If you ain't scraping pegs then you ain't riding it right. It depends on what your comparing it too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was really into the warrior, I rode a few and then by chance I rode a vrod. It was over. I had to have one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts