Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my 05 Vrod with the F (rigid bags for the muscle). I just took the pics, so they are rainy.. I'll get better pics later. They are 2900cc bags instead of the 1900cc bags you can get for the pre-09 vrods.

I had to fabricate some rear brackets to hold the frame (from the 02-06 saddlebags mounts 91440-06) onto the bike since someone cut off my dog's bahootey before I bought it. Other than that, it is a straight fit from the bolt holes in the 02-06 bag frame mount and the muscle frame that comes with the bags. If you still have the brackets for the dog's bahootey then you don't need to fabricate any bracket.

You'll need one bag mount kit (91440-06 for 02-06), 4 10mm x 1.5offset x 60mm long hex bolts with 4 nylock 10mm 1.5 offset nuts and some blue loctite. You'll also need to drill and tap the frame where the 2 bolts hit the frame for the Fbag frame, since only the 09 and later 240 rears have the bolts in those locations. you'll use the 4 hexcap screws that come with the 02-06 bag mount set and some red loctite.
You'll also want to modify the seat so you can use the piston that comes with the Fbag kit or remove the plastic spacer on the seat hinge and cut off the longest section of the 3-section pin on the front section of pin...then you can just unlock the seat and remove it to the rear to fill her up.
You might not need to mod the seat, but I had mine made at rich's and I had him make it wider than the standard vrod seat.

Let me know if want more detail on the install steps and I;'ll hook you up.

I just finished an 8-9 day trip for the washington and oregon state HOG rallies that was 2300+ miles, and they held up just fine without a problem, and I held all my gear and some of my brother's in the F bags and i the biker's friend. the Fbags had 2 camping bottles of fuel, a fire extinguisher, 2 sets of rain gear, a cooler, a large first aid kit, 2 sets of tools, a flashlight, and still had room for me to place items in there.
The only drawback is...there is no room for a passanger's legs with these bags installed. For me, that doesn't matter since I always have my XL Biker's friend on the back.
I'll add better pics when the weather improves. }:)

Pics are in the following post..

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134388&page=3

Thanks,

-Gumbysbuff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Looks great. I mounted mine out and to the rear to clear the seat. How do you get to the Gas tank?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great. I mounted mine out and to the rear to clear the seat. How do you get to the Gas tank?

I had Rottweiler custom make me a hinged mount that upens UP instead of sideways, then I put the muscle seat piston on the left side to keep it up so I can refill.. I'll post a pic of it when I get the chance today. }:)

Works Great!

And the pics..

WP_000392.jpg WP_000393.jpg WP_000394.jpg WP_000395.jpg WP_000396.jpg WP_000397.jpg WP_000398.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Very nice

·
EXCELSIOR
8,539 Posts
Creative use of a strap hinge. Very well done and the air piston really adds that little extra. Appears that it works "over center" so when it's down it holds it closed, you lift it past the center point and it lifts it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Creative use of a strap hinge. Very well done and the air piston really adds that little extra. Appears that it works "over center" so when it's down it holds it closed, you lift it past the center point and it lifts it.
Yup. The lock still works too.

On a side note, my ignition switch is locking up AGAIN.. I just had it replaced 3 months ago when it seized in the ON position. when I replace it this time, I'll be replacing it with a nightrod ignition switch. the only thing that cuts out is the seat latch cable, which I'll just zip-tie to the frame and pull the sheath to open it underneath the frame. (FYI.. you can do this for any seat with the latch through a cable sheath... it's a flaw)

}:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts