Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a great deal from a forum member, plus the slip ons were vmodded already. Pretty strange hearing exhaust coming from both sides of the bike :) I love the look! Now gotta decide powdercoat or leave silver.... Sorry for the fuzzy pics, cell camera's all I got

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got to ask (as I'm doing the same mod myself) - how close is the oil cooler line to the front exhaust ? Do you think it may need extra heat shielding ? I know that it's the same part as on the Muscle but I've not got a VRSCF near me to go take a look.

And did you have to cut off the "stick" part of the dipstick ?

And which exhaust seals did you end up using ?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the oil cooler line is okay, just moved it(twisted) for a little for more clearance.. I'll keep a close eye on it though. I havent done any long rides yet, just a few miles here and there

I did have to cut the stick part of the dipstick, it will hit the pipe when you try to pull it out if you dont

I used new stock 07DX seals.. I didn't do the water leak test as I was in a rush yesterday but I made sure the seated evenly and I'm pretty sure theyre good!

I've got to ask (as I'm doing the same mod myself) - how close is the oil cooler line to the front exhaust ? Do you think it may need extra heat shielding ? I know that it's the same part as on the Muscle but I've not got a VRSCF near me to go take a look.

And did you have to cut off the "stick" part of the dipstick ?

And which exhaust seals did you end up using ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the info - I bought a set of both types of gasket just in case.

Hopefully the oil line won't be an issue - IIRC it's listed as the same part number for both bikes - if I think it's a problem I have a little exhaust wrap in the garage - I'll use that.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UK-
Had the misfortunate experience of burning a hole in the oil cooler line there off the left side header! Luckily I noticed it and shut her down, and I was only a mile or so away from my house when it happened. I had to remove the entire radiator and now I'm going to modify my line to make sure it doesn't happen again. I will be lengthening the line and wrapping the pipe with header wrap to make sure I don't go through this again!

For you, use header wrap and zip tie the line as far away as you can!

-Nick

Thanks for the info - I bought a set of both types of gasket just in case.

Hopefully the oil line won't be an issue - IIRC it's listed as the same part number for both bikes - if I think it's a problem I have a little exhaust wrap in the garage - I'll use that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow ! Thanks for letting me know !

Still not done mine yet though - other things keep getting in my way.

Although I am a little confused now - just did a double check and the part number is the same for both models - so I wonder if any Muscle owners have had the same problem ?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not know for sure, but I read somewhere on the forum that the way the oil cooler lines are routed changed on all the bikes after 2008 or 2009, I can't remember. Mine is a 2007. Removing the radiator is a severe pain in the arse, never want to do it again! Oil went everywhere too so I'm dealing with that mess on top of everything else

-Nick

Wow ! Thanks for letting me know !

Still not done mine yet though - other things keep getting in my way.

Although I am a little confused now - just did a double check and the part number is the same for both models - so I wonder if any Muscle owners have had the same problem ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I dig it

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
i think that looks AWESOME !!!!!! but i am bias !!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Already got some exhaust wrap - I think that I'll use that round the oil line to protect it ...

... and a little of the heat reflective material to be sure !

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Try turning the end caps to point down. I think that may look better.

Looks really close to the ground on the DX. Have you had a chance to bang it around a corner and see how easily it hits if it does?

·
FFFWD
765 Posts
Got a great deal from a forum member, plus the slip ons were vmodded already. Pretty strange hearing exhaust coming from both sides of the bike :) I love the look! Now gotta decide powdercoat or leave silver.... Sorry for the fuzzy pics, cell camera's all I got

Nick
Ceramic coat 'em!!! ...helps with heat shielding too!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
had myne sliver first but I felt it was to much so painted them black. but that said each to their own. pics in the garage if your interested

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hey myotherworld pics in garage are cool .... did you finish off the rear guard idea .....i think looks KILLA

·
Registered
206 Posts
Right, I've finally got the exhaust on my bike, but I have a problem ! The rear pipe is touching the "clutch cover" where it curves round the front of it - will I have to fit the cover from a Muscle to cure this ? I did use wooden wedges before tightening everything up but it forced the wedge out. Am I just unlucky and got an exhaust with a tight bend - I've been looking at pictures of Muscles and there seems to be a fair gap between the cover and the exhaust - but I've been unable to find a close up ot the Muscle exhaust fitted to a DX.

Anybody got any pics or can offer some advice ?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UK- I don't know about the stock clutch cover hitting because I had a custom one made before I put the exhaust on. I do know it sits really close though on the clutch side. I'm going straight pipes with my muscle exhaust, getting them slash cut much shorter and took out all the baffling. I will post pics once they're back on the bike.
-Nick
Right, I've finally got the exhaust on my bike, but I have a problem ! The rear pipe is touching the "clutch cover" where it curves round the front of it - will I have to fit the cover from a Muscle to cure this ? I did use wooden wedges before tightening everything up but it forced the wedge out. Am I just unlucky and got an exhaust with a tight bend - I've been looking at pictures of Muscles and there seems to be a fair gap between the cover and the exhaust - but I've been unable to find a close up ot the Muscle exhaust fitted to a DX.

Anybody got any pics or can offer some advice ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nick, did you resolve the problem with the oil line ?

I think I may have the same problem, I've put a piece of exhaust wrap around the top part of the pipe (above the O2 sensor plug) but it's still getting really hot and I'm concerned that it will melt the oil line eventually ...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Forgot to ask, did you change the kickstand ? It's really difficult to reach now it's under the exhaust and doesn't stick out at the side any more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts