Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm just about to buy another V Rod (haven't had one for a few years now). Pretty much decided on getting a muscle but wondering what changes have been made between the earlier ones (2010) and later ones (2015/16)?
I see there are some pretty good deals on earlier (low km) bikes but should i get a later (more $$) one?

Appreciate any thoughts...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think there were any real changes at all. I've got an 09 Muscle. Great bike. Definitely get the Budman Riser which can be found on these pages. That mod is a must! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think ABS was added after the 2011 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think ABS was added after the 2011 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ABS was available on the F/Muscle since day 1 (2009). It was optional the first few years though (not sure when it became standard...but I believe it did around 2011 ish....).

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
The footpeg mount was changed-- after 2011 I think? The 2009-2011 was a bad design-- the 2012 (for sure) and up have the revised design which is much more solid. More than one person on the forum had the early version's bolt snap, which could ruin your day.

Other than that, I believe the O2 sensors changed size on the manifold pipes about 2012. That also changed how the ECU is pinned since one of the previously blank pins was used with them.

Other than that, the entire model line is pretty much identical-- there might be one or two smaller details, but nothing of any major importance.

R.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Big is right....the O2 sensors went to the larger heated O2 sensors around 2012. If you want wide bands (i.e. TargetTune kit from Dynojet) you will need to put the smaller 12mm sensors in (and bungs if your exhaust has the larger ones).

I THOUGHT there was a bolt/etc type fix for the early peg mounts....I haven't kept up on that though.

Honestly your best deal money wise are the 2009 F's.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Honestly your best deal money wise are the 2009 F's.
AND research the fix for the forward pegs.

I think it might be as simple as putting in a harder bolt, but since it never was an issue on my bike, I'm just going by memory from what I read years 7-8 years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I concur with the bolt on the front pegs. About 5 years ago, I had my snap 100 miles from home and had to get a lift home from a very bitter, angry ex-wife! I put a hardened bolt in the peg and haven't had any trouble with it since. As for the ex-wife, she's living miserably ever after in another state in a crummy apartment with no job and no money. Her choice, not mine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts