Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
V Rod 1250...Love it
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Brand new to site and the world of Harley, just bought a 2009 V Rod Muscle with a 240 tire, have heard that it can be replaced with a 260 width and not cause any fowling...Is this TRUE? and if so whats the exact tyre size please..

P.S Love Love my Harley, wish I had done this years ago.

Dickey

·
Registered
583 Posts
you can switch to a metz 260 but many will tell you the Avon 250 looks wider on the bike and cost less.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I put a 260 on my 07 DX and there is no reason why you couldn't do that on a muscle. The only thing I had to watch was the clearance distance at the belt guard, check that after you mount your tire, secondly I found it much easier to mount the 260 Metzler by mounting the tire with the brake rotor off and then mounting the rotor on the hub. Worked fine for me.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have the 260 metz on my 07 X.It fit on without a hitch.
I was looking at the 2011 F the other day and the new Continental rear 240 tire appeared to be as wide as my 260.Something I am going to measure and compare before I buy a new set of metz again.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
I have the 260 metz on my 07 X.It fit on without a hitch.
I was looking at the 2011 F the other day and the new Continental rear 240 tire appeared to be as wide as my 260.Something I am going to measure and compare before I buy a new set of metz again.
I just picked up my 2011 DX yesterday and it has Michelins on it. They are WAY better tires than the Dunlops that I had on my 09 F. Do the F models have different make tires on them now?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I put the Metz 260 on the back of my 2009 F. I then lowered the bike front and rear one inch.

Looks great, no complaints. I purchased the tire from another motorcycle supply shop and had them install it. I didn't bother the HD dealer for that switch. I got great service, a better price on the tire, and less expensive labor. The dealer I purchased my bike from kept on damaging the bike so I stopped going to them. Sloppy, careless technicians.

Tell the shop what you want and they will get the right Metz for you.

My HD dealer could not even mount the 260 tire because they don't have the equipment. When they put my chrome rims on with the 240, they had to send it out to a custom shop because they didn't have the tools.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dicky - I've heard you don't need to use the side stand with the 260 tyre - just step off and walk away lol.....

won't this wreck the corner handling even more?

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
Not exactly a corner bike anyway... went from 180 to 200 to 260.. looks over function but to me it corners fine in hairpins and than blast up the next curve ya see barely hitting red line...
At least that wide tyre keeps the pipes from scraping..

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
With drag bars and the 260,it takes more effort to stay in a curve.
I've ridden several hours at a shot doing 45 and 50 in twistys w posted speed limits as low as 15 and 20 mph.I wouldn't want to have to hang corners all the time though,so I'm glad I live where I can cruise at 80 and 90 mph without much effort.

·
V Rod 1250...Love it
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Admiral Nelson,
Dont expect any probs with the 260 over the 240 fitted now, ive removed the plate holder and you can all the rear tyre and it looks silly with the 240..needs 260 min .....some of the Harleys by me run a 300, now thats wide and would expect problems.

I have looked and reckon the 260 will just fit and miss the belt guard.

·
V Rod 1250...Love it
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jasper,
You say the 250 looks wider than the 260 metz....would all agree on this, being in the tire biz I know the width's stated on the side wall do vary and do'nt always measure up as the stated width.

So which 1 for the widest look, and what is the height pls..e.g 35 profile.

Cheers all
Dickey

·
Registered
53 Posts
Was your 280 mounted on the stock rim? From the clearance i seen on other vrods with 260 there isn't much room for more.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts