Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody completed the MSF ERC on a Vrod? Thinking about taking the course but I am concerned with the low speed handling. If you have taken the course on your Vrod, post up with any tips or hints. Thanks.

·
DX Rider
630 Posts
I took the course nine years ago on a long chopperish Honda Shadow Spirit. No problems. I think it would be a good experience. You would practice maneuvering, braking, etc. on the bike you ride. Go for it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
thats nice they let u use your own bike, you have to use the course bikes here in pa, real small 500's

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took the class about a month ago. It is very beneficial. becuase the dx is so low I did ALOT of peg dragging. Some of the things I remember are....

SLow figure 8's
braking without locking up rear wheel
learning to brake as fast as possible
swerve then brake
brake then swerve
coming to a stop in a turn
negotiating speed coming into three different raduised curves
more slow speed turns

i think there was more but cant remember. I am very glad I took it. I took a few excercises to get used to leaning at slow speeds but eventually got it. I think these classes should be a must for newer riders.

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
I'll be at the advanced Riders Edge class on sunday with my D. Kinda worried about the box. The damn Buell Blast I learned on at the basic RE is like 1/4 the size of a V.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

masterofpuppets said:
I'll be at the advanced Riders Edge class on sunday with my D. Kinda worried about the box. The damn Buell Blast I learned on at the basic RE is like 1/4 the size of a V.

I hear the ERC box is 4 ft wider than the BRC. I can make the figure eight 2 out of 10 times in the BRC box. If I go out, it's usually only six inches or so. I don't think you will have a problem with that part. A friend of mine with a Busa was making it 8 out 10 times after 15 minutes.

I'm more concerned with 2nd gear at 20 MPH. My Vrod doesn't like that combo.

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
I called the guy that runs the RE classes at Central HD who is also a friend of mine and a customer at my store. He told me not to worry, the course is bike-specific. Yeah, 20 in 2nd....my bike no likey.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
I took the ERC back at Fort Bragg years ago. Probably should take it again just to maintain skill. Great course...you really learn how to handle your bike in slow moving situations. Some one-handed cone swerving as well. If I remember correctly, the instructors focused a lot on maintaining control of your bike. The instructors at this course even took time to provide some one-on-one training for those riders that were having a more difficult time handling their bikes through the course. Recommend you take it if you have the opportunity to do so. Can only improve your skill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts