Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm looking to find out what you think of the MSF courses both the good and the bad. I'm currently in the military and we do not have any choices whether or not we go it is a requirement. I can tell you that every course I have attended I learned something. So please let me know what you think.

·
Greg
604 Posts
I took a MSF course before I started riding (wasn't required, took it by choice). All good, nothing bad. Highly recommended for everyone thinking about riding.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
I took a MSF course before I started riding (wasn't required, took it by choice). All good, nothing bad. Highly recommended for everyone thinking about riding.
This. They teach good habits.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Experienced rider course is the better of the 2 but you have to have had the basic first.
Ed

·
Registered
79 Posts
I work on base & have taken both basic and experienced rider courses, They were informative and fun, I'd recommend to anyone. The fact that I was given class days off with pay was an added bonus.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, I thought that I would get positive reply's now onto what caused me to start this thread. As stated these courses are required and luck has it that they are free to the military community. Currently there is a retired Marine who feels that the Marine Corps should not burden you the tax payers because it is your privately owned vehicle. I disagree and believe if they are requiring us to attend the course they should indeed be free. So let me know how you feel about this unsettling disagreement. Should we have to pay for the training or do you the tax payers think it should be free? (keep in mind I do pay taxes)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I honestly believe that by taking the course we decrease the chance of one of our Marines being injured during a recreational activity. With that in mind, I have zero problem with my tax dollars going to protect those that protect US. A marine injured stateside during a recreational activity is of no use on the battlefield overseas. OOH RAH Gunny!

I took the MSF course after 15 years of riding to get the insurance discount. I was amazed at the number of bad habits I had picked up over the years.
MSF is a great starting point to honing your riding skills.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I took the course because I had No idea how to ride when I bought my bike. I took delivery of the the bike 5-6 weeks Prior to my class though so I started to teach myself to ride and got quite a few miles in before the class. I found this to be the Best way to do it for me (without knowing) as I could than focus on things I was having problems with, Especially leaning and steering. I have nothing bad to say about it, they taught me many techniques that I still use today AND they gave me my MC Endorsement instead of going to the DMV to do so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok, I thought that I would get positive reply's now onto what caused me to start this thread. As stated these courses are required and luck has it that they are free to the military community. Currently there is a retired Marine who feels that the Marine Corps should not burden you the tax payers because it is your privately owned vehicle. I disagree and believe if they are requiring us to attend the course they should indeed be free. So let me know how you feel about this unsettling disagreement. Should we have to pay for the training or do you the tax payers think it should be free? (keep in mind I do pay taxes)
My Basic Rider Course only cost me $250 bucks. Which as a tax payer I have NO problem what so ever knowing I would be paying that for you to take a course which has the potential to keep you safe and prevent the "tax payers" from then having to shell out thousands upon potentially MILLIONS of medical bills and then possibly VA disabillity benifits for a career ending motorcycle accident. Being a Disabled Vet myself I don't want to see anymore of us at the VA clinic, it's a very depressing place.

I also agree that if they make it manditory that it should be free. It's a form of insurance from the military's perspective, I'm sure.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The MCSC is mandatory in Florida to get the endorsement,and it should be in every state.A person cannot buy a motorcycle from a dealer,or an independent shop without the endorsement.Paying for the course is part of motorcycle ownership,just like having short and long term disability along with a good major medical plan and liability that covers everything that could happen after a crash.

·
Greg
604 Posts
With all of the crap our government wastes my taxes on, the one thing I will never argue against is picking up the tab for those that are willing to lay their life on the line in protection of my freedoms! I'm happy to know that an extremely small part of my taxes enables you to ride! Thanks for your service -- enjoy the ride!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I was in the Air Force it use to be free for the same reason you stated.....it was mandatory.

I taught the class as a "Volunteer" for most of my 21 year career. The AF sent me TDY for the required training, which they paid for. Each base that I went to we either had the materials on hand or had them purchased for the classes. All this done under the "HEADING" of "SAFETY". For me it was a great way to get out of the office for a couple of days a month and as I promoted myself to more of a desk job then hands on work, it was really nice way to enjoy the summer days (well except for Arizona, hated the summers there)

Check with Hickam AFB, I seem to remember them having a regular class. Call the safety office or if you run into a stone wall, try the EOD shop at Hickam for a good contact in the safety office. They are in the old FD building just inside the main gate.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Should we have to pay for the training or do you the tax payers think it should be free? (keep in mind I do pay taxes)
Let's put it in the idiot's terms: we (the taxpayers) spend a LOT of money just getting a Marine (or sailor, airman, soldier, ...) through just Basic. Add to this their advanced training (even the extra training for a Rifleman, or whatever the current title, isn't cheap), then factor in any in-job experience, and we have a substantial investment that is going to cost a helluva lot more than a few hundred dollars for an MSF class. Short of regulations requiring all active duty, active and inactive reserve, and retired (who are subject to call-up) to travel the streets and highways only in Strykers (sorry, Marine), spending a bit on safety training is really a significant saving of taxpayer dollars.

Having been disillusioned by Vietnam and Gulf II/Afghanistan, I'm not one of the biggest proponents of military spending, but, as long as we are going to send people off to make our corporate masters richer, we should damn well train and equip them to handle the risks of both combat and civilian travel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't want to be redundant as most was already covered in the previous posts that I agree with. Definitely worth taking the course and I have no problems paying for this via my tax dollars to ensure the safety of our military personnel...

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
The MSF course is worthwhile to take – even if it is required – and it should be free of charge.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
The MSF course is worthwhile to take – even if it is required – and it should be free of charge.

“...when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep." ---Ronald Reagan
I agree with everyone else who believes that servicemen should be given the MSF course without charge. However, nothing is free.

They pay for it with their service to our country. They also pay for it with their tax dollars, just as we do.

I work for the civil service on base. We too are required to take the MSF safety course every 3 years- without cost to us and during working hours. How does everyone feel about that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thank all of you for taking time to post your reply's. Here is a link to the Marine Corps forum this is what started the whole thing. If you have the time please feel free to check it out.
http://www.semperride.com/forum/showthread.php?258-When-is-the-USMC-going-to.........

Also to all of you who believe in what it is we do for a living thank you and I can tell you the Marines who are forward indeed feel the support.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I thank all of you for taking time to post your reply's. Here is a link to the Marine Corps forum this is what started the whole thing. If you have the time please feel free to check it out.
http://www.semperride.com/forum/showthread.php?258-When-is-the-USMC-going-to.........

Also to all of you who believe in what it is we do for a living thank you and I can tell you the Marines who are forward indeed feel the support.
Ok Gunny now that I have a better feel for what you are after.....I still support your quest for the classes that you seek. What I do not support is paying big dollars to bring the big names to come teach the classes. You guys need to put together a group of volunteers, get the required training and give the classes. With the current push by safety arena to have these classes you should have it all paid for to attend the instructor training. Then all those that are "REQUIRED" to attend these classes can now do so free of charge, using base aquired resources.

Now once you have the classes remember to have effective classes, not some BS get together during duty hours to ride crap. That was what was happening with the Snowmobile classes that were "REQUIRED" to ride on base...a good reason to go screw off for the afternoon. When I took over as Snowmachine club President on base we revamped the course into a 2 day course not only covering the aspects of riding on base but included basic survival technics for winter travel, and covered many aspects of riding in the huge state of Alaska. The base now has both a winter and summer program for recreational pursuits covering atv's, utv's, and motocross bikes. The reason the programs even came into existance was because of a huge spike in accidents/injuries around '97/'98 time frames. The club at the time looked forward and took on the responsiblility to get quailty instructors trained with the base backing.

If you guys are really wanting to have this happen then I would highly suggest putting a club togther. Go thru your legal office and get he required paperwork to have an offical club on post. This gives you direct access to the safety office, the Post Commander and a few other assests to help you get these courses on post and hopefully paid for. This will also bring most of the "REQUIRED" group together. Then don't forget to advertise your group to incoming "JEEPS".

Whenever the military had made something mandatory in the past were we were never required to pay for it. The bases have money under the heading of safety to pay for the required training just getting to it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts