Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken possession of a 2003 HD V-Rod. I love the bike, and I've enjoyed riding it. But I've noticed the gas mileage is really crappy. Is it just me, or is it the bike itself? After filling up and riding just 35 or 40 miles or so, its already showing the tank is almost only half filled. Is that just the way it is with a V-Rod? I was expecting better gas mileage, but it would appear the range on this bike is about 100 miles or so on a tank of gas. Any comments or advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keep in mind that the tank is very small, so depending on your riding style you may just have to get used to frequent fillups.

·
Premium Member
11,214 Posts
If you have a stock bike with 3.7 gallon tank a couple of things come to mind
1. The fuel gauge is not reliable. Never was on the earlier bikes. You need to use the trip odometer to gauge when to resupply the fuel.
2. Depending on your riding style you can expect 30-40 mpg. You need to ride about 100 miles then fill up and figure out what your MPG is and go from there.
3. With the stock tank you can expect to have to fill up at about every 100-115 miles.
There were 5 gallon tanks available from after market vendors but the supply has
dwindled to almost nothing. lots of searching on this forum should produce the names of the manufactures, one being "Unlimited Engineering" I believe.
'
'
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice

Thank you for taking time to educate me on this MPG issue. I'll definately use the odometer going forward to gauge my mileage, and the range this stock tank gives me.

·
V Rod Enthusiast
12 Posts
All of the above... Agreed. It also depends on the tune you have. I noticed that my mileage drastically got worse when I loaded a more appropriate map for my bike via the Screaming Eagle Performance Tuner (no longer available but I have mine 🙂 ). I have been wanting to spend some quality time with my bike experimenting with a more lean map for mpg and cruising but man, when it’s setup like it is now... I have to pay the man at the pump and I’m ok with that!

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
2003 VRSC 100th Anniversary Edition. 1130cc, SE2 cams, CFR Pipe Dyno tuned to 119HP/79TQ. The bike comes with the 30T front pulley in 2004 they (factory) switched to the 28T pulley. If I cruise on the highway @ 70mph @ just about 4000rpm. I'll get 38-39mpgs. Years ago... I switched to the UE 5.25 gallon tank. Now I fill up @ 160/170miles. With the factory 3.8 gallon tank it would be every 85/105 miles. It was annoying. ****** PS. I just purchased a 32T front pulley, since I spend 90% of my riding on the highways etc. This should drop my rpm's by 7%.******* The pulleys that are available for our bikes are

26T,(aftermarket) Think 4.10 gears in a 1969 454SS Chevelle 4 speed manual

28T,(<both factory>)30T, Think 3.08 & 2.83 gears in a street car

32T (aftermarket) Think 2.56 gears in a street car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts