Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil from HD Syn3 to Amsoil. I immeadiately lost 2 miles per gallon. Any ideas as to why? The only reason I can come up with is a change in the gas blend at the same time. I live in the Chicago area and during the summer months (May to Sept) there is a different blend of gasoline then in the other months (I believe that more ethanol is added). It may be just coincidence, but is there another reason? I went from an average of 33.1 to 30.7. I always use a 92 or 93 octane. See chart below. Note: I did not change my PCIII or anything else during this time. Also, I started getting my readings on July 2 after I installed RICK's tank. You'll notice that my miles traveled went up from there.

2005 VRSCA
16GA SE pipes with PCIII (setup for same) and SE Airfilter TOPLESS
28T pulley? (stock)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I can possibly see 2 things here.

1. The seasonal gas change. I know when it happens I lose a couple MPG in all my vehicles. Reformulated gasoline drives me nuts.

2. It is possible that the old oil had thinned out some since new. This happens from shearing forces and fuel dilution. I have seen the Syn3 shear down to a 30wt in 1700 miles. When you go from this thin sheared oil to a new full viscosity it may cause this as well.

Just my thoughts
Ken

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Um...I'm guessing the gas blend change. Or maybe because the bike runs so much better with the Amsoil, you've been more aggressive in your riding? I'm not much help...sorry!

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
I know when you switch a race car from gas to alcohol you have to re-do carb fuel pump filters, pretty much anything having to do with the fuel system to make it flow enough to keep up with the engine. It takes approximately 2.4 times as much alcohol as it does gas to make the car run well and not lean. So effectively the fuel consumption on an alcohol engine is about 2.4 times as much. I don't know if this helps or not.................

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you're going to make a comparison, maybe you should keep everything constant. Surely its the gas change.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
That is an incredible job you did monitoring your mpg!!!! :notworth:

You must be an engineer or work in quality control :)

Several factors can be involved with mpg, so you should see if any of these other factors have changed too, besides the amsoil and gas mixture change. Riding more aggressive, carrying more gear, increased body weight (fun summer parties), more city driving than usual, a new mod to bike, less conservative with new bigger gas tank, other mechanical influences, etc...

·
'06 night rod
567 Posts
holy crap.... I thought I had a lot of time on my hands!

I haven't changed my oil recently, but also noticed that lately I get less miles per tank.. never thought of the seasonal gas thing, but I have noticed that I can no longer commute two days on one tank.

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
parkus said:
Tire pressure? Type of driving, highway or stop n go.
Tire pressure is good at 38 front and 40 rear.

My usual workweek driving:
5 miles city - make most of the lights in the AM
10 miles Highway - let her eat up to 90 MPH getting on the highway, unless I see the cop sitting there around the corner. Then I usually go around 70 - 80 mph the rest of the way.

Repeat above for the return trip home.

I drive this way almost everyday for the last couple of months so I no my driving habits didn't change.

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
balius said:
You must be an engineer or work in quality control :)
I'm a production manager in an ISO 9002 company. So I kind of always do this stuff even at home.

balius said:
Several factors can be involved with mpg, so you should see if any of these other factors have changed too, besides the amsoil and gas mixture change. Riding more aggressive, carrying more gear, increased body weight (fun summer parties), more city driving than usual, a new mod to bike, less conservative with new bigger gas tank, other mechanical influences, etc...
Nothing new or out of the ordinary on the driving habits. Almost always the same.

My vote goes with the gas reformulation as the culprit

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I will continue to monitor the MPG thing for the rest of the riding season. Will continue into next year and watch for a change when the gas gets reformulated again in May/June. Hopefully, it goes back up.

Thanks for the input.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Mpg

2003 VRSCA with 40,000 plus miles.
I just removed my 16 gauge SE II and replaced with Screaming Eagle flared pipes. SE race tuner left in place.Changed to a SE washable screened air filter.These pipes are not sold by Harley anymore. They might not make as much noise/decibel's as the SE II's , but the bike is still fast. I also put new 200 mm Metzler on the rear and new Dunlop on the front.I replaced my 3.7 gal tank with a 5 gallon. I also changed oil and filter(always use SCREAMING EAGLE Synthetic).

RESULTS= 50 + miles per gallon !!! (this is City and Hywy)
I previously was getting 30 to 37 miles per gallon.

When the gauge hits bottom line, I still have 1 gallon left. I call this my reserve.

Now if I lighten the load by losing adipose tissue(FAT) and carbon wheels , I may get 60+/gal. !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts