Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from Texas to the Carolinas, and I'm not sure how to move my 2 bikes. I can either have them moved in the moving truck with household goods - the moving company will crate them at their dock (which means I won't be able to see how good of a job they do), or I can trailer them, and make the 17-18 hour drive with kids more like 20 hours, with the slower speeds...

It's a reputable moving company, and supposedly they do this all the time, but I'm just not sure how well/careful they are and it will be on the truck for up to 10 days before I can pick it up.

Any feedback, personal experiences, etc.?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The couple of times we've moved I did it both ways. When the moving company did it there were no problems. Well one problem that you mentioned, you won't have the bikes for up to ten days. The time I trailered the bike I was too busy moving into the new house to ride anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Moves are stressful and you dont want to add more stress, so Id say use the trucking company. They usually offer pretty good insurance on items and if you are concerned, take lots of pics to document condition in the case that something happens.

The guy who owns the independent bike shop here seems to get lots of bikes shipped to him and I have never heard him say anything about bad trucking experiences.

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
The only move I've made with a bike, I trailered it myself. But I was moving myself, and could make multiple trips, so the bike and my tools came in one of the loads. Move was a 6-hour drive total, but the logistics were that I could re-stage at the halfway point.

Next move, dunno. Depends on where it is, and now I have 2 bikes here, and I'd be moving at least 2 more. At that point, either I need a much bigger trailer, or have to give at least some over to somebody else.

If I were in your position, I'd definitely consider having somebody else truck it if it's not convenient for you to do yourself.

Good luck on the move either way.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
There are companies that specialize in transporting motorcycles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts