Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
George
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a dilemma with space in my shop. The bike was always in the way, and it was always pointing the wrong direction! I have a lift, but it just made things worse because it stuck out so far. I found myself jacking the bike up pushing it sideways into any available space, then letting the jack down, resting the bike on the jiffy stand and storing the jack in its own nook..... I had to reverse the process whenever I wanted to ride (or get to my paint bench). Washing the bike on the jack was taking its corrosion toll on the jack as well.

A little aluminum, 4 casters, some Starboard, a few screws, and my handy TIG welder and Viola'

The tires are just off the floor, the suspension is unloaded, the bike is upright and level, and it can be pushed and rotated easily

Full size pix in My Gallery

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
Do you have the space to put a small shed on your property and keep the bike in that?
The solution you have is great BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Necessity is THE mother of invention.

Well done!

·
George
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bonketi said:
Do you have the space to put a small shed on your property and keep the bike in that?
The solution you have is great BTW.
My "shed" is 20 x 40!

Thanks

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Nice work! Good idea for us up north here who cant ride during the winter for storage.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
whoa, very sweet! I could use one of those in my garage. You going to mass produce those babies?

·
George
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update on this one.....
I replaced the casters with heavier-duty ones.... the first ones were rated @200# each (thinking 200x4=800... no problem right?) it seems the weight was not distributed evenly and the front left failed. The new casters are 375# each, but no brakes. Much easier to roll around too!

To those who've asked if I can build them one....

I PM'd Max to see if he wants to handle them in the "store". If he does, look for them soon.... If he declines, yes, I can make more and I'll post a thread in the "Classified" area.....

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Nice welds. Where did you get the "Starboard"?

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
I had thought of making something in the line of a plus sign +
So you could drive the bike straight on to it and maybe use the kick stand or use something like some of the trailers where your front wheel is caught in a "C" channel. Have rollers on all 4 ends so you could push it in any direction- especially 180 degrees so it could be driven back out instead of pushed backward all the way thru the shop. The draw back would be the extra space required by the + cross to keep the bike stable.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rjrivero said:
Nice welds. Where did you get the "Starboard"?
Thanks Doc! I've been welding since I was a tyke! I have a pile of starboard left over from a job I did on a boat. But if you want some the manufacturer is King Plastic which is about 10 miles from my Sarasota "home"

I had thought of making something in the line of a plus sign +
So you could drive the bike straight on to it and maybe use the kick stand or use something like some of the trailers where your front wheel is caught in a "C" channel. Have rollers on all 4 ends so you could push it in any direction- especially 180 degrees so it could be driven back out instead of pushed backward all the way thru the shop. The draw back would be the extra space required by the + cross to keep the bike stable.
I've seen something like that, but I didn't want the bike leaning on the stand, nor did I want the tires carrying the weight.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
capngeo said:
I have a pile of starboard left over from a job I did on a boat. But if you want some the manufacturer is King Plastic which is about 10 miles from my Sarasota "home"
Thanks for the lead. :thumb:
capngeo said:
I've seen something like that, but I didn't want the bike leaning on the stand, nor did I want the tires carrying the weight.
Why not? I know alot of folks who perfer to store their vehicles suspended. But a bike, or a car is designed to support it's weight on the wheels. I have heard of shocks leaking when the weight of the wheels are pulling on them to their max lenght and the seals start to leak.

Again, I have no personal experience on this matter, so i'm interest to hear other's opinions.

RJ

·
George
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rjrivero said:
Thanks for the lead. :thumb:

Why not? I know alot of folks who perfer to store their vehicles suspended. But a bike, or a car is designed to support it's weight on the wheels. I have heard of shocks leaking when the weight of the wheels are pulling on them to their max lenght and the seals start to leak.

Again, I have no personal experience on this matter, so i'm interest to hear other's opinions.

RJ
Can't say I'm an expert Doc, but I've been told that long term storage with the weight in one spot on the tire promotes premature "cracking". The springs (again I'm no expert here either... so don't jump my butt everyone) also gain a "set" when constantly compressed to the same spot.

None of the above are really pertinent to us "year-round" riders in the South, so MY major criteria in the design was having something compact enough to toss on a shelf when not in use.

If you need some Starboard, and don't want to buy a full sheet, let me know what you want.... there's 3 major boat-builders near here, and there are all sorts of "drops" available at the surplus places.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
I store my bike on my jackstand year round cause I have no room at my current house. My 67 E-Type I store in the winter time, I put it up on 4 jack stands to keep the weight off the tires, so they dont crack out on me. But I am no expert but I did stay a Holiday Inn Express last month!

·
George
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darnit! forgot to stay at the HIExpress! No wonder!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rjrivero said:
I have heard of shocks leaking when the weight of the wheels are pulling on them to their max lenght and the seals start to leak.

RJ
RJ shocks that leak when extended have already been leaking in my experience and it is extending them that forces the oil which has leaked into the vent side of the shock to be forced out around the shaft. I don't think it has anything to do with them being in the air. I see this all the time on cars on the lift. They won't have a sign of any kind of a leak and when we lift them oil will drip out of the shaft top because they are fully extended. It is my guess they have been leaking for a long time because lifting them up to change oil wouldn't be long enough to hurt anything, thats just the time that the leak appears because of the extension of the shock.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DallasV Rod said:
If you sold them, would you provide a lifetime warranty? :D
Sure....... as long as this aint yer girl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts