Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 nrs,needless to say after an hour or so my back starts to get sore due to the stretching.any mods outthere to move the handle bars back a few inches and still retain that cool look.
thanks.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
get D/B bars. world of difference. or get a new seat like the sundowner

·
boo
5,211 Posts
do a search in the dx section. you will want to verify, but i believe the part numbers are

D bars #55988-04
front brake line #44735-06 (you may need this, i didn't but some have)

someone around here has a chart of all the bars. i'll look

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue after about 30 min of riding. I'm 5'7" and ended up getting a sundowner seat like scarecrow mentioned. And black sportster iron bars. Both mods made a world of difference for comfort. Good thing too about these bars is you don't have to change the brake line. It keeps the height of the bars about the same but has about 2in more pullback. And they are black so it went great with the dx
bars p/n... 56014-09a
seat p/n... 51780-07

·
boo
5,211 Posts
true, a bunch of folks here have switched to the sporty bars, which are a good option, and as mentioned no worries about the brake line. for me, they had a bit too much of an inward angle at the grips, i dunno. just seemed like they put my wrists in an uncomfortable position. the D bars didnt do that to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did the reduced reach DX bars (I'm 5'11). Perfect reach/height, but the angle mentioned is there and takes a little getting used to.

I have to say it feels a heckuva lot better to ride, too. For me, it's much easier in slow speed turns and easier to look over my shoulder when merging into traffic.

·
PJ
17 Posts
Mods

At 58 and 5'9" I had the same exact problem.

Handlebars from a 1200 Sportster, and Sundowner seat solved the problem. Been back and forth to Deals Gap in 3 days with 600 miles each way, plus the day playing in the smokies. No Pain in neck, or back. Here's how she looks now.
Handlebars did require extending the front brake lines. Parts for this at local parts store totaled $40 with new metric allen set

A V-rod for the aged. haha

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I'm 5'7" and found that just slackening the clamp and rotating the bars back toward me put them into the perfect position .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the great info,i decided to get the hd reduced reach handlebars,now my question is should i exchange the handlebars myself of let my dealer do it, about 70 bucks.?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did mine myself. Had a service manual handy b/c ide never messed with vrod bars before. And there are a few post up talking about handlebar removal and installation. With the combination of those two resources took about 30 min. Save your $70 so you can buy more vrod parts.

·
Wasted $40.00!
232 Posts
Chart!

If I read that chart right, AW bars would make one big difference, but don't know about cables and what else you'd have to change!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts