Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming it's been done, but has anybody put on some mid foot pegs on a model with forward controls? It would be great to change up foot positions.

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Yup its been done, there is a couple of options out there for you. The most common are switch for the R or D model controls, next up would be Vmods and last because it is the most expensive is the Rizoma's.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
If you have a DX you could use the OEM midset controls from the D model. Some V-Rod exhaust systems interfere with midset controls, something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep a DX. I'm wanting to leave the forward controls, just put on some mid pegs. Is that doable?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Yep a DX. I'm wanting to leave the forward controls, just put on some mid pegs. Is that doable?
Do you want to have duplicate sets of controls forward and midset, or do you just want fold out footrests up fronts like the D model did? The latter would be simple to do by duplicating the D model's set up part for part. I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty of setting up two complete sets of foot controls forward and midset.

Years ago I used to ride a friend's Low Rider and could operate the shifter and rear brake with my heels from the fold out forward pegs. Copying the D models control set up and using the mid controls from the fold out forward foot rests might be the easy way to accomplish what you want to do, depending on your boot size.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have an 07 DX and I just put mid pegs only on it keeping my forward controls..
I used the stock D parts except the levers and instead of using the right side motormount, I used a beefy piece of round tube for a spacers and notched it for the peg mount thenn used grade 8 bolts for it.
stong enough for what im using it for , I wouldnt stand on it at 260 lbs, but even then its probably fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Part numbers would make this thread much more valuable to folks searching for this answer. Also, weren't there changes to the DX after the '07 model year? I've been researching mid foot rests for my '09 DX and thought the changes to the swing arm did not allow a plug and play for mid foot rests (?). Thank you.

Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
mid mounts

I'm assuming it's been done, but has anybody put on some mid foot pegs on a model with forward controls? It would be great to change up foot positions.
If you want full controls HD a week ago came out with a mid mount set for the dx. I have had the prototype kit now for over a year and love it. Much easer to maintain proper foot control positioning at 120mph pluss. 499.
If you just want the mid pegs You can go to the 06 cr right motor mount and the left mount and peg mounts. about 200, with out the chancy self fabing on the right side,and is a streight foward bolt on concept.
Also the 07 D/ came with stock midmounts.
These options preserve your ground clearence and improvr cornering as you may shift your weight from side to side.
Least desirable from ground clearance / astetics are the mounts from VMOD. Thhey bolt to the down tube to frame and greatly reduce ground clearence/handling and look cluncy. also the cheapest at about 250.
The HD setup can retain the foward pegs for a set of "highway pegs" tho I kept tring to brake with them, some really hairy moments till per discarding them.
Hope this helps.:broke:

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've looked at that website, called and emailed earlier today. Not sure if he's still in business. If he is I wonder if he has them in stock. Will try and call again later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
nHDot like th
I had forgotten that either goastridercustoms.com or vmod.com has a swing arm pivot shaft that you can screw a set of standerd HD foot peg mounts to. Posioning is similad to the 07 d and the 06 cr.
kind of pricy for what you get but cheaper than the HD,rizoma or the cr. Hope this helps:broke::banghead:

·
Registered
655 Posts
These are so easy to make it's ridiculous.All you have to do is get a 2"wide 18"long 1/4" thick piece of hot rolled flat stock and cut it in half then two 4x2"x 2"thick steel blocks and also cut it to fit the frame mounts grinding the front edge flush with the frame.Then take the flat stock and put it up to the frame mark the holes and transfer it to the steel blocks.Drill the holes and go to Fastenal and get 70mm by 1.25 pitch plated cap head bolts.Mount it and put the slightest bend in it so it wont hit the belt guard on the right side of the bike when the bike swingarm bottoms out then take them off and paint them.Cost $25 plus $2 per bolt and 10 for paint.If you Know a high school kid in metal shop or just stop buy a school they will do it for you sans paint.Took me and hour to make my set.Make sure you get swinging instead of fixed pegs regardless of which way you go as Fixed pegs will catch the back of you knees and jam you feet into the pavement when you launch the bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Matt,

might be easy for you, not for me. Will the AW mufflers be in the way on these?
You should make them and sell them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A mid mounts

The AW and DX share the same frame so anything that will work on the DX will work fine on the AW
Got to disagree with you on that , the aw and the dx do share the sane frames but the exaust is different in the two. So unless you mount the same exaust sysyem(aftermarket of course) what will fit the D/X it will not fit the A/W

1 - 20 of 29 Posts