• Automotive Synthetic Oil

Votes: 11 8.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The City of Angels
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an interesting old article >>here<<

I didn't have time to read the whole article yet but it attempts to compare any real differences between motorcycle and automotive. I am about halfway but it already seems to argue that the difference is insignificant and the prices are inflated. Granted it is a very old article (1994), but I am curious as I am sure others are if anyone has any real insight into the significance of these oils. Interestingly Mobile 1 scored the best in this test.

I guess if you can say with more certainty than just believing the hype or the sales pitch the better.

Anyone on this forum use regular vehicle oil? Obvious benefits is price, but any problems with it?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
lavrod said:
Found an interesting old article >>here<<

I didn't have time to read the whole article yet but it attempts to compare any real differences between motorcycle and automotive. I am about halfway but it already seems to argue that the difference is insignificant and the prices are inflated. Granted it is a very old article (1994), but I am curious as I am sure others are if anyone has any real insight into the significance of these oils. Interestingly Mobile 1 scored the best in this test.

I guess if you can say with more certainty than just believing the hype or the sales pitch the better.

Anyone on this forum use regular vehicle oil? Obvious benefits is price, but any problems with it?

Oil and fuels have made huge changes since that article was written. You will find a lot of debates on the subject already and the point is moot . Run whatever your comfortable with in your bike but IMHO don't go cheap on oil, it's not like you really have to buy that much of it.

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
Max said:
Oil and fuels have made huge changes since that article was written. You will find a lot of debates on the subject already and the point is moot . Run whatever your comfortable with in your bike but IMHO don't go cheap on oil, it's not like you really have to buy that much of it.
:them:
It reminds me of those idiots that use regular gas vs. high grade to save a few cents. Hmm how much is it gonna cost when your you motor dies?:spank: I am talking about vehicles that require the higher octane gas.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The only real debate is with the friction modifiers that are used in todays modern "energy efficient" car oils. Those modifiers are not compatible with your wet clutch PERIOD. As long as you stay away from the "S" grade oils and stick with either the "C" grade diesel or motorcycle specific oils listed as suitable for a wet clutch application you're fine.

All the discussions about temperature, shear strength because of the transmission, etc are idle marketing chatter. There is absolutely no way a modern oil of any formulation is going to harm your motor as long as it's the proper viscosity as specified in your owners manual.

I'm with Max on this too, don't cheap out on the oil, that $20 you save now could cost you $2000 down the road.

Here's the latest API publication for your review.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
oils?

I will add that most synthetics for bikes are really not needed. the oil is contaminated with clutch debris long before the oil breaks down. You never see oil related failures anymore period.. many folks lay claim to this or that which is just that, their opinion....the key is a good semi synthetic with no friction modifiers and you'll be good to go!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hmmm ....all I use (dura-blend) in both my V and wing. I tried others and personally I couldn't tell the difference in shifting etc like so many seem to be able to. I've got friends with over 200,000 miles on wing motors pulling heavy trailers as well as their being heavy that use a name brand dino (so called) oil.

There is one caveat however and thats in personal perception. If anyone believes that the oil they use is the only answer than by all means they should use it. In my case its been dura blend.... at least for the last couple years. Not because I think its a super oil over other brands but because it when it goes on sale twice a year or so I get it for 2 bucks a quart as opposed to over 4. So you can get a quality oil with out losing the farm.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
When was motorcycle oil introduced to the public? A friend at work just got a free motorcycle when he saw it out with the trash by his neighbors house. It's a 1979 Honda and the clymer manual makes no mention at all about motorcycle oil.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
EZE RIDER said:
When was motorcycle oil introduced to the public? A friend at work just got a free motorcycle when he saw it out with the trash by his neighbors house. It's a 1979 Honda and the clymer manual makes no mention at all about motorcycle oil.
That's because in 1969 there was no such thing as fuel efficiency friction modifiers and their negative effect on wet clutches. The friction modifiers and your wet clutch are the ONLY reason to steer clear of modern automotive oils.

One thing to note, most 20W-50 mixtures contain far less friction modifiers than the 5w-30 or 0w-40 oils being specified in modern motors. That may be why some are seeing no ill effects when using oils like Durablend in the 20W-50 viscosity. These tend to be diesel motor oils which would be much more like a motorcycle specific blend.

·
Registered
690 Posts
mjw... I've used 10w30 and 40 as well in several brands and never had a clutch slip, in my current or previous bikes. Honda 900 cb custom, KZ 1000, LC1500 current Honda Goldwing (pulling heavy loads) & V rod. Most of these oils were not diesel rated with the exception of the dura blend and rotella.

Now the energy conserving oils that my bmw cage calls for I would never use knowing the problems that would result, but they are marked as such so avoiding them requires no effort.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Joseph said:
mjw... I've used 10w30 and 40 as well in several brands and never had a clutch slip, in my current or previous bikes. Honda 900 cb custom, KZ 1000, LC1500 current Honda Goldwing (pulling heavy loads) & V rod. Most of these oils were not diesel rated with the exception of the dura blend and rotella.

Now the energy conserving oils that my bmw cage calls for I would never use knowing the problems that would result, but they are marked as such so avoiding them requires no effort.
I'm glad you haven't had any problems but I know of many who have and all could be traced to using automotive spec synthetics with energy conservation additives. BTW, it isn't always easy to see if these additive are in but if you use CF rated Diesel or motorcycle specific oil you can be assured it hasn't, that's my only point.

·
Registered
690 Posts
MJW, the bottles are marked Energy conserving in the circle that also lists if its CF / SL etc.

And yes your point is correct, you can use motorcycle specific and not have to read, I don't diss that at all. What I diss is the manufacturers selling so called Cycle specific oils at BS prices when its nothing but a marketing gimmick to charge more. There are literally tens of thousands of hard ridden motorcycles out there that use nothing but so called dino or syn oil that is not motorcycle specific. And thousands of those have hundreds of thousands on the clocks.

Will motorcycle specific oil make my bikes last longer? Could be, can't prove it by me, I have yet to keep one of mine past 100,000 miles and with countless motors out there way over that I'll let someone else worry and spend the extra coin. To each their own, its just a motorcycle and its just oil.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Motorcycle oil will not make the bike last longer, I never intimated that. My ONLY point is the friction modifiers. There are plenty of motorcycle or diesel specific oils that will work perfectly in our motors without spending the $6 / quart that offends you. Personally, the time wasted looking for these bargains is time I don't have, I simply have Ken deliver a case of Amsoil when my supplies get low.

Hell, I pay between $150 and $200 to get the oil changed in my Porsche's every year (or 7500 miles, whichever comes first). Dropping $30 on MC oil ain't a big deal.

·
Registered
690 Posts
MJW.. Sorry I wasn't implying you said one oil would make it last longer than another. Anyway to each their own, I don't spend any time searching out bargains. I read my Sunday paper and check the auto parts adds from time to time. If I see something I need I go to the store, read the label and buy it if it fits my needs.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bimsb6... damn, everything over there is high priced. I go to London about twice a year and stay at the Claridges hotel. Breakfast at that hotel costs me 60 USD on avg so I'm not surprised on the cost of oil. Is most of that cost Taxes like your fuel costs?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I put 60K miles on my 1998 fatboy before I sold it and I only used Mobil 1 NOT Vtwin, but car Mobil 1. A friend I ride with has over 110K on his Heritage on Mobil 1 car sys only.

·
Registered
164 Posts
oil filter question?

:notworth: i know if might be alittle off topic.,,what about the oil filter.i know the fram pluss that fits my 03 chev express 2500is theexaxt size oil filter a.it would be nice to hear a reply back that says it should be fine to use:)
for others that read my posts. my camera should be here in a dew days. man i love Ebay) i cant wait to get some nice pic of my custom r.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Moe Dog said:
I put 60K miles on my 1998 fatboy before I sold it and I only used Mobil 1 NOT Vtwin, but car Mobil 1. A friend I ride with has over 110K on his Heritage on Mobil 1 car sys only.
The difference between the Fatboy and Heritage is the oil is contained in the engine. The car oil in the engine never contacts the clutch in the primary or gears in the transmission.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts