Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a cycle lift from SAM's for my V-Rod. It works great, other than where or how do you use the two supplied tie-down straps? (Not sure if they are even required).

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
SSTuner said:
I purchased a cycle lift from SAM's for my V-Rod. It works great, other than where or how do you use the two supplied tie-down straps? (Not sure if they are even required).
I don't bother just make sure it's evenly centered ! :kaz:

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
I have the same lift from Sams. You can use the straps on the bottom of the frame if you want. I have never used the straps, and the lift has been stable if you just put the arms out to the side. Knock on wood, the bike hasn't taken a dive yet!!

·
V-Rod Addict
271 Posts
Hey, I've got a question . . . I got the Larin for Christmas and I decided to try it out last night. I started to lift the V-Rod and I didn't get a good feeling because the rubberized top part seemed just a little too narrow for the frame. Is it possible or do I have to install the adapter plate and the four adjustable frame arms?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
SSTuner said:
where or how do you use the two supplied tie-down straps?
Most "home use" lifts come with tie-down straps. Unlike professional or commercial-grade lifts (where the entire bike sits on the surface of the platform), home lifts typically raise the bike using only a small pair of lift arms located under the center of the frame (you knew this already..)

Because large portions of the bike extend beyond the ends of the lift arms, there is a possibility that by removing heavy pieces of the bike (i.e. wheels, fork, swingarms, etc.) you may upset the balance of the bike, causing it to tip off the lift. For that reason it is recommended that you tie the bike down when performing such operations. I generally put on the straps whenever I'm removing something big from the bike, or if I'm wrenching something that requires a lot of torque.

It is generally not a bad idea to use the tie-down straps whenever you have the bike raised on the lift. Do not make the mistake, however, of strapping the bike to the baseframe of the lift, and then trying to raise it....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vroddrew, I'm going to take your recomendation and atleast tie the bike down low to the lift for that extra measure of safety and of course spread those "stabalizing arms" out also.

·
4,638 Posts
I have the Sears Craftsman and it also came with straps...I have never used them on the bike while it is on the lift .

·
V-Rod Addict
271 Posts
I know lots of you guys have the Larin (Sams) lift . . . did you have to install the bracket with those arms (V-shaped) to get good engagement with the frame or did you leave it as it came out of the box (flat, rubber lift plates)?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I lift mine without the supplied bracket. I don't recall if their is enough clearence to slide the setup under the bike without driving the tires on a small ramp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts