Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on here snooping trying to find culprets for my front vibration problem. Went on a 450miler last sat and The vibration was the perfect pitch to make my hands go numb. I kept hearing a high pitch wine coming from the fron so I assumed the bearings had gone. Changed them and they did need to be changed. Still a vibration. So I bit the bullet and ripped the radiotor off and was checking out my motor mount. I found the mount was being held by the two bolts that also hold the radiator in place. All the other bolts were tight. My long winded question is, is that normal or did the third bolt that goes in between these two break off or was never put in? I'm so hoping that this missing third bolt up front is the culprit in my vibration issue. and before anyone starts in on me no I dont have THE BOOK. I havent had my 2006 R very long. Thanks guys and girls for your imput and suggestions on the bolt and or my vibration issue.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
that missing third bolt is for an engine guard and is not your culprit. you can run wither with out without it. i suspect it might be the mount itself. the inside of that mount you mentioned is rubber and have been known to crack.

i know you dont want to hear this but the procedure and a picture of what i am talking about is in the BOOK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn. I was all excited that i had finaly found it. Ok. For what little wieght i hold to the stealers I took it in shortly after i bought the end of last year and they claimed the mount itself wasnt warn. so new question and I will order that mount today. If i rev my engine to about 3500 i can see the front of the motor pulsating front to back. I assume that means new mount time? And from all ive read it is a lot of fun to replace. Thank you for your fast responce. I love this site!

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The front mount requres the removal of the air box so the battery can come out. Then you can access the engine mount. This isn't terrible to do. Replacing the left rear engine mount requires engine removal.

You can confirm the front engine mount is worn out by getting under the right side of the frame and looking to see if the header rubs the frame where it clamps into the collector. When the front mount sags it allows the pipe to rub the frame and, yes, it will give you a nice buzz, though in my case it was from 3500 to 5000 rpm.

·
Ted
1,626 Posts
Cyclops, don't know if you have found your vibration problem yet, but I just installed a new front motor mount 16307-01A. It was a huge step in the right direction. There is still some vibration but my hands don't tingle or go numb anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice!! Looks like I will be doing it myself or paying out of pocket. Dealership called me today and said it is a "normal" vibration for this type of bike and that 3500 RPMs is "low" for this bike. Sounds like BS to me. But either way they didnt find anything wrong. Maybe another dealership will find something.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have the same problem and the dealers also tell me its normal.
my header pipes also touch the frame at the collector area.

do i just get a mounting and replace it?

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
The header pipes should not touch the frame. Exhaust was not mounted properly. Manual says to insert a 1/2" piece of wood between frame and exhaust pipes before tightening to prevent the pipes etc from touching the frame. Remove wood after tightening.
All V-Rods have an inherent vibe at around 3000-3200 rpms. subsides as you near 4K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts