Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

A few of you have changed the front motor mounts on your VR's and found that the rubber diaphragms had failed.

Recently, I had the same problem on my Road King. However I knew that something was wrong because the bike handled like absolute SH*T.

The failed mount allowed the motor to rotate with the rear swingarm and this caused a "broken hinge" ride quality over bumps and scariness in turns.

Fixing the mount has resulted in a night and day improvement in the ride quality! I became conditioned to the poor suspension as the mount failed and now I can hardly believe it's the same air cooled beast.

Now, the question, did anyone notice a change in the handling of their v-rod after changing the motor mount? It would be nice to know how much of an effect this could have... especially if one has become used to a gradual loss of ride quality...

Thanks!

Rodman

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Like Greg the answer for me was no and my mount was completely broken. The difference is the mount is completely enclosed so it can't really move but it does break.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
The road king motor shakes so much that I can see how a broken mount would totally change the handling. I don't think the revo engine would be affected quite as bad.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Max said:
Like Greg the answer for me was no and my mount was completely broken. The difference is the mount is completely enclosed so it can't really move but it does break.
Also, the rear motor mount is concentric with the swingarm pivot so even if the motor moved at the front mount its effect on the rear alignment is minimal: The belt might walk on the pulley but the major motion would be rotation around the swingarm pivot.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stever975 said:
Also, the rear motor mount is concentric with the swingarm pivot so even if the motor moved at the front mount its effect on the rear alignment is minimal: The belt might walk on the pulley but the major motion would be rotation around the swingarm pivot.

True, but this is the same as on the RK... But I take the point re less motion overall ... Perhaps the tolerances are tighter on the VR....

I'm planning a BIG trip from London to The middle of Italy to watch a MotoGP race.. wondered if I should replace the motor mount beforehand...

Rodman

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
On the v-rod when the mount breaks it has no way to move side to side, what happens is it can move just slightly up and down and let it become metal to metal. That i turn will transfer more vibration through the frame. But the mount is completely inclosed so it really doesn't move around like some mounts do when they break. I have never seen one that could move enough to effect belt alignment. I read that theory on another site and think it is BS.

·
Banned
744 Posts
true-track.com has some very good info on 'mounts' and handleing problems. i recently fitted their system to my road-king classic and the difference it made was worth the effort. i believe they are coming out with a system for our v-rods soon.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
v-dog said:
true-track.com has some very good info on 'mounts' and handleing problems. i recently fitted their system to my road-king classic and the difference it made was worth the effort. i believe they are coming out with a system for our v-rods soon.
The problem is the RK and v-rod mounts are nothing alike. While the RK does have a problem with the mounts coming apart and allowing the handling to change the v-rod mount breaks but is encapsulated. It's like the difference in motor mounts on engines in the 70's on cars when they would break and you would feel the engine bounce around and mounts made on cars today which have the rubber completely enclosed inside a steel housing so even if they break they won't let the engine flop around. The v-rod mount that is breaking does not come apart, it simply breaks the center out so it can move up and down. The updated mount for the 05 and later model fixes the problem of the mount breaking

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
v-dog said:
true-track.com has some very good info on 'mounts' and handling problems. i recently fitted their system to my road-king classic and the difference it made was worth the effort. i believe they are coming out with a system for our v-rods soon.
I have been considering this mod for my FL since they came out with it. I wanted to wait to hear real world feedback as to its effectiveness. Hows the bike handle now in high speed corners/ off ramps etc?
I believe they have a set up for the Vrod also.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good info on the RK upgrade from True Track... wish I'd known about it before last month!

Anyway, the VR handling is miles better than RK so I readily accept that the systems are very different.

In retrospect it is surprising that the VR isnt solid mounted... the motor has a balance shaft, and solid mounting would be lighter, simpler and would add contribute to chassis stiffness.

Rodman

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
smokenjoe01 said:
I have been considering this mod for my FL since they came out with it. I wanted to wait to hear real world feedback as to its effectiveness. Hows the bike handle now in high speed corners/ off ramps etc?
:them: Yeah - tell us all!

·
Banned
744 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
hey joe, i changed out the rear shocks (progressive 440's, standard duty) and progressives in the front at the same time as fitting the true-track. the bike rides better than new and the wobbles and wallowing in sweepers and high speeds is all but gone! every now and again when roads are real sh*t you get some of the old troubles. hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts