Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched on this topic for two evenings, and I can't seem to find an answer.:hidesbeh: What exhaust produces the most power on an otherwise stock vrod? I gather it's a 2 - 1, Good sound is a bonus, as losing power for sound is not what I'm after. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a sert, and all the associated tuning at the stealer.

I'm considering the CFR exhaust and their fueler, but the Tab slipons, and fueler are attractive because of Price.

opinions? facts?

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! Looks like the CFR is a great choice. I don't run around at 8500 rpm very often. The bump in mid is what I'm looking for. I think this is the one for me! Did anyone here use the CFR fueler? I don't think i'm going to do any other mods, maybe topless.

·
Registered
523 Posts
A CFR pipe is really good if you want to boost the mid range but it comes at the cost of the top end power. Based on your question - I quote "What exhaust produces the most power on an otherwise stock vrod?" I think you'd better decide what you really want before you invest in a pipe and a fueler.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, well help me out then, I don't race, I don't rev it out to 8500rpm. I guess I should have worded my question different. I'd like a bit more grunt in the mid range. I suppose i could take a small hit in power.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I think part of the quandry comes from the revolution engine characteristics. The engine on a stock Vrod is powerful and has a wide flat powerband that can be used even if you aren't racing.
Vrod only has 5 speeds in the transmission. It will out accelerate any stock HD while reaching a higher top speed when the other bikes have a six speed.
The engine is strong and isn't peaky so that it makes outrageous power at top rpm. This makes a harder to manage riding experience and is often left to the racer set or racer wanna-be set.
The exhaust systems that are available are many and in differenct configurations. Drag race pipes from V&H and others. 2-1 pipes with longer baffles and different sounds. Most of these are within a few hp of each other and most don't seriously change the torque curve, still pretty flat if some effort is done to re-map fueling for the new configuration.
I personally think the most efficient, broadest power curve is produced by Harley Davidson in their stock system. It has draw backs to the consumer because amount other things, it is heavy, the sound level is low to satisfy legal restrictions.
So unless you are a serious drag racer and run top end shorty 2-1 pipes, most people pick pipes based on their personal preferences, with sound and looks a priority. It appears that 2-2 drag style pipes that are popular on big twins don't work as well in producing power as the 2-1 (the same is true on big twins, go figure), and most Vrod folks here are interested in power so they are constantly trying to find the silver bullet.
There isn't one. Mostly pick the pipe you like and see if several people here are running it. See what they say about it. You will probably be o.k. There is not killer setup, though many here feel that theirs is the one. :stilpoke:

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
thank you! Looks like the CFR is a great choice. I don't run around at 8500 rpm very often. The bump in mid is what I'm looking for. I think this is the one for me! Did anyone here use the CFR fueler? I don't think i'm going to do any other mods, maybe topless.
Based entirely on "seat of the pants feel" on the pipes I have had...

Supertrapp....GREAT top end power, a little wimpy off the line unless you rev high and dump the clutch but still not bad. Looks wise, you love it or hate it. Sound wise, with then encap on, it sounds like a Honda 4-wheeler. Without the cap it has a nice rumble with upper medium volume similar to the self mods. My 2nd favorite pipe due to tunability.

CFR...okay off the line, good midrange, POOR top end power. Great looks and unique and loud DEEEEEEP sound.

Rinehart 2-1...good off the line, GREAT in the midrange, and good in the upper rpm's. Best all around pipe I have had. Deep medium volume idle and SCREAMS when you open it up.

Jug Huggers...okay off the line, decent mid range, and ANEMIC top end power. GREATEST sound and looks IMVHO

Self-Mods...good power all around, just don't like the stock look of the exhaust. Good deep sound.

DRKS slip ons...good power all around similar to self mods, just too wimpy on sound for me.

Pipes I have heard and seen in person....

Force longs...look cool and sound LOUD!

Thunderheader....if I ever switch to another pipe, I will get this one. Sounds just fantastic and looks really good.

Rinehart 2 into 2....looks and sounds very good. Almost got them instead of the jug huggers but I liked the huggers looks a little bit better.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Forgot to add...your bike will never ever sound like a big twin. It will sound great, but it cannot mimick the air cooled motor sound.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok that makes sense. I wanted good sound, but not at the expense of power. Maybe I'll just leave it alone, as I've got drilled stock.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
DungeonWorks said:
Based entirely on "seat of the pants feel" on the pipes I have had...

Supertrapp....GREAT top end power, a little wimpy off the line unless you rev high and dump the clutch but still not bad. Looks wise, you love it or hate it. Sound wise, with then encap on, it sounds like a Honda 4-wheeler. Without the cap it has a nice rumble with upper medium volume similar to the self mods. My 2nd favorite pipe due to tunability.

CFR...okay off the line, good midrange, POOR top end power. Great looks and unique and loud DEEEEEEP sound.

Rinehart 2-1...good off the line, GREAT in the midrange, and good in the upper rpm's. Best all around pipe I have had. Deep medium volume idle and SCREAMS when you open it up.
Jug Huggers...okay off the line, decent mid range, and ANEMIC top end power. GREATEST sound and looks IMVHO

Self-Mods...good power all around, just don't like the stock look of the exhaust. Good deep sound.

DRKS slip ons...good power all around similar to self mods, just too wimpy on sound for me.

Pipes I have heard and seen in person....

Force longs...look cool and sound LOUD!

Thunderheader....if I ever switch to another pipe, I will get this one. Sounds just fantastic and looks really good.

Rinehart 2 into 2....looks and sounds very good. Almost got them instead of the jug huggers but I liked the huggers looks a little bit better.

That is what I run on mine. Makes power everywhere and the sound at 9,000 RPM's in just mind blowing!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
streetrodder06 said:
That is what I run on mine. Makes power everywhere and the sound at 9,000 RPM's in just mind blowing!
I'm glad I'm not your neighbor!:laugh:

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
hd-v-rodder said:
I'm glad I'm not your neighbor!:laugh:
That's just it...keep the rpm's low and it isn't that loud and your neighbors still invite you over for BBQ & Beers! :D I love the Rinehart 2-1.

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
DungeonWorks said:
Forgot to add...your bike will never ever sound like a big twin. It will sound great, but it cannot mimick the air cooled motor sound.
Yeah. Harley has that sound patented so you can't use it on a V-Rod.:angeldev: :stilpoke: :bash: :banghead: :spank: :chair:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run bub jug huggers with a Kn and PC custom map. I think it is faster than stock but I hear lots of disagreements. It sounds down right wicked and turns heads in a good way, not in a shut that annoying thing off way.

·
Registered
494 Posts
DungeonWorks said:
RustyG said:
Yeah. Harley has that sound patented so you can't use it on a V-Rod.:angeldev: :stilpoke: :bash: :banghead: :spank: :chair:
:rofl2: :rofl:

Check this out:
You can mod your own: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65920&highlight=Bullets
In motion video: http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=38155&c=503

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
I have been running the CFR for the past year and just got annoyed with the sound in my right ear, I was in the process of getting the Rinehart 2:1 and was just messing with the CFR as stated here
and am very happy. I think it has similar characteristics as the Rinehart and I would recommend that over both the CFR and Thunderheader.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
RustyG said:
:laugh: but we ride "-Davidson's" and so they should sound like "-Davidson's" :D

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
atvcrazy said:
I run bub jug huggers with a Kn and PC custom map. I think it is faster than stock but I hear lots of disagreements. It sounds down right wicked and turns heads in a good way, not in a shut that annoying thing off way.
One thing I do miss about my huggers is the sounds. They really sounded sweet. Too bad they lose power. I have a really good race tuner map posted in the EFI room. Got great gas mileage and the bike moved pretty good with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like my Bassani road rage pipes. They mount a bit lower than i would like, but they dyno out at just under 119 rwhp. Oh ya, and they are wicked loud (for a v-rod). hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts