Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new exhaust for my 2009 vrscaw but it seems most are very loud like the V&H comp 2-1 pipe. Can you recommend something that sound better than stock but it not too loud? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Only exhaust experience I have on the V-Rod is with the Super Trapp Fat Shots. I'm running 12 discs in each muffler and the sound at idle and cruising speed is a deep rumble. When you wail on the throttle they get quite a bit louder, but not like the V&H Big Radius or Short Shots on my previous three Dyna's.

You can tune the Super Trapps by adding more discs for more flow and sound volume, or remove them for the opposite, but I haven't got around to that yet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I reckon you can't go past the V Mod. They sound great and you still get to retain the beautiful flow of the stock pipes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Only exhaust experience I have on the V-Rod is with the Super Trapp Fat Shots. I'm running 12 discs in each muffler and the sound at idle and cruising speed is a deep rumble. When you wail on the throttle they get quite a bit louder, but not like the V&H Big Radius or Short Shots on my previous three Dyna's.

You can tune the Super Trapps by adding more discs for more flow and sound volume, or remove them for the opposite, but I haven't got around to that yet.
He has an AW, Fatshotts wont fit on that model, only DX.

I do agree, Fatshott's sound great. 8-10 discs is whats recommended to run without a tune. If the discs/plugs get sooty, add a disc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, several people have mentioned the V Mod is pretty loud but they also have a series II which is not as loud. Of course it's all in the balance, stock pipes are a 1 V&N are a 10, I probably would like a 5. Seems all the pipes out there are above a 7.

Anybody done the V Mod II??

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not sure if it fits your bike, but the Vance and Hines 2 into 1 is not too loud. Stay away from the Comp/Indy that V&H makes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if it fits your bike, but the Vance and Hines 2 into 1 is not too loud. Stay away from the Comp/Indy that V&H makes.
I never considered this pipe, I guess I thought it looked too much like a metric pipe and did not look right on a vrod, I have to find some better pictures than V&N has on there site. Do you like the way it looks?

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Spinner muffler is not too loud. I'd go with that.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
...stock pipes are a 1 V&N are a 10, I probably would like a 5. Seems all the pipes out there are above a 7.

Anybody done the V Mod II??
If you are considering the V&H a 10 out of 10 then even the V-mods are going to probably be to loud for you. The V-mods are roughly the same decibel as the V&H 2 into 1 pipe but a completely different tone, smoother and less raspy. I am guessing that about the only thing I could think of that would truly be a 5 on your scale would be just drilling four 1/2" holes through your end caps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
V-Mod Series II

Did the vmod series II last week. In addition I added the powercommander III usb and K&N Filter. I love the sound, deep and throaty. It's enough to know your coming, but not too load to piss people off. I leave for work at 5:00am and don't wake up the entire neighborhood. I plan on posting a Youtube clip next week. I only found one clip on Youtube that has the series II, it's good but nice to hear more. If you check out the clip, it's a little louder in real life. The folks at vmod were great, they received my pipes on a Friday (they called to let me know they arrived), I had them on the bike the following Wednesday.

·
Registered
182 Posts
He has an AW, Fatshotts wont fit on that model, only DX.

I do agree, Fatshott's sound great. 8-10 discs is whats recommended to run without a tune. If the discs/plugs get sooty, add a disc.
Thanks for the info. Mine came installed by the dealership when I bought it new. With 12 discs I'm getting a little soot on the discs and end cap. Guess I need to buy more discs and try 13.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks for the info. Mine came installed by the dealership when I bought it new. With 12 discs I'm getting a little soot on the discs and end cap. Guess I need to buy more discs and try 13.
I believe thats what I read. If you go to Supertrapp website there is a forum link in top right corner, and if you make a post asking questions they will help you out. its part of there customer service.

that or just give them a call.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
there's a set or two of tester VMODs floating around the forum. It's worth the shipping to check them out to be sure they are "too" loud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GRB60, I forgot to reply thanks for the pictures, I keep looking them and they are growing on me, maybe this will be my choice now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
vmod series II cut

Here is a link to a video I did of my vmod series II cut pipes. The sound from the video really doesn't do it justice, it's much louder than can be heard in the video. I am very happy with the sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pug slayer thanks for the video, the pipes look great and have a really nice finish at the end, was the a extra option?

BTW your bike looks great, I assume its a 2006 screaming eagle?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts