Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using 32" drag bars with 2" pullback. I like the extra width, and they work great for around town and short road trips. :ride: But I'm getting ready for a 2500 mile road trip, and I think I should switch to something more upright.

What are the most comfortable handlebars that fit an '06 Night Rod With stock cables? I'd like to stay wider than stock, and I need them by Tuesday, so it would probably have to be something in stock. I'm thinking maybe bars from a Sportster 1200R or an '07 night Rod.

What do y'all think?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I :heart: my clip-ons! But that's probably not what you're looking for...:)

Do you not have your stock bars anymore? Seems to me they were pretty comfy. Are you getting a windshield too? That would make a big difference with wind relief on long trips I'd think.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang Kerri, don't you sleep?

It's hard to describe, but the stock bars just felt... Wrong. Too narrow maybe.

I love the clipons -your bike rocks- but I don't see how you can ride that thing for more than a few hours at a time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Night Ryder, I've got the standard bars still on my Nightrod and they do feel too narrow, so I want to go towards drag bars like you describe. Are yours HD or another brand?

Love what NightMare did with the clip ons, but I've got a Fireblade for trackdays, so I'll leave the clip ons at the track!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I use the drop-z bars on mine and love the feel, I think LUX uses the same bars on his bike also. They are wide enough and have some rise and the pull back is just right for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had slightly wider & flatter bars on my 06 D a while ago, but was getting some backache. Went back to the stock bars; for me they´re the best bars allround, I don´t think they´re too narrow. I´m 5´6".
I changed the grips to those HD "nostalgia" old style ones which are much fatter than stock, & that made quite a difference in the overall feel...
Just my 2 cents

drake

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
:) Not trying to pee in the pool here, but with the exception of SirFrancisDrake, all these posts are less than useful. Why, because the rider height and arm length are major points to consider. So what ever you posted that you love, won't work for someone else of a different size. Anyway, glad to hear that others here have found what works for them as it's important to be comfortable.

Other factors to think about are the seat position; stock, moved forward, moved rearward and to a lesser degree, the peg position.

I run drag bars of my own creation because the stock bars came way too far back for me at 6'2' and with my long arms. I'm too cheap to pay $250+ for drag bars, so I built mine for $33. My bars come out of the clam shell and bend back about 10 deg. and are 29" wide. I also changed to thicker grips to fill my hands better than the stock grips did. My seating position is about an inch more rearward than stock. I have both stock AW pegs and have added "D" mid-pegs too. This works for me. YMMV. :)

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
You find anything yet NightRyder?

I also find the stock bars too narrow and would like a wider bar.

I put the VMod drag bars on for a while. They were great around the city, but sucked for really long rides. My lower back was killing me.

I would like to find some bars the same height as stock, maybe a little "flatter" (straighter), and about 8 inches wider.

If you find something, please let me know.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
tapman22 said:
:) ...
I run drag bars of my own creation because the stock bars came way too far back for me at 6'2' and with my long arms. I'm too cheap to pay $250+ for drag bars, so I built mine for $33. My bars come out of the clam shell and bend back about 10 deg. and are 29" wide. I also changed to thicker grips to fill my hands better than the stock grips did. My seating position is about an inch more rearward than stock. I have both stock AW pegs and have added "D" mid-pegs too. This works for me. YMMV. :)
Tapman, do you have any pix of your creation? Sounds like you've done a lot of cool stuff...let's see it! (ew, you peed in the pool!) :)

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Recap

I have tried a couple of bars already. As I said before, the stock bars just didn't feel right, so I switched to black bars from the '07 VRSCR. Pushed forward it had great controll, but was too uncomfortable. Pulled back, the '07 R bars were a nice comprimise, but still not right. Next I tried the V-Mod 32" drag bars with 2" pull back. These are great bars with a nice balance of leverage, controll and comfort. Unfortunately after about a couple hundred miles in the saddle, I start feeling my lower back from leaning forward. On my upcoming trip, I'll be spending 6 to 8 hours a day riding, and after a couple days, the forward lean is going to really start bothering me.

On a Side note, my bike came with the Sundowner seat, which while ugly, is on of the best seats I've ever had on a motorcycle. I know the sundowner works so well, because I never notice that it's there. Anyway back to bars:

I'm taking my stock bar to the dealer tomorrow, and were going to see if they have anything the same height, but little bit wider an flatter. I'll let y'all know if I find anyhting that fits.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
At 6'2", now that we have a Sundowner I need to pull my stock bars back another inch. As for long rides, it's great having the mid controls with the highway pegs. I can always find a comfy position. The throttle lock helps a lot on the interstate.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Conclusion

I tried a set of bars from the Sportster 1200R, but they were just a little too wide. I could not get them to fit! I was resigned to putting the stock bars back on and suffering.:(

While installing the stock bars, I was playing with positions, when I noticed that it was very comfortable when pulled all the way back. So far back that the turn signals touched the airbox in sharp turns. It was perfect! The most natural riding position I felt since I had that KLR 650. I dug around in some boxes and pulled out the turn signal relocation kit I had never used, and Voila!:D

Along with the sundowner seat and the stock windshield, I put on 3000 miles in 2 weeks! A great solution that I wish I had found months ago! Don't let anyone ever tell you you can't tour on a Night Rod. With a frew simple mods, this has become the most comfortable bike I have ever owned!:thumb:

·
Registered
246 Posts
bars

Night Ryder said:
I'm currently using 32" drag bars with 2" pullback. I like the extra width, and they work great for around town and short road trips. :ride: But I'm getting ready for a 2500 mile road trip, and I think I should switch to something more upright.

What are the most comfortable handlebars that fit an '06 Night Rod With stock cables? I'd like to stay wider than stock, and I need them by Tuesday, so it would probably have to be something in stock. I'm thinking maybe bars from a Sportster 1200R or an '07 night Rod.

What do y'all think?

I think ur looking for a good touring bar, that'll let you sit up straight instead of leaning forward? Me too. The stock nightrod bars make me lean forward too much for a long trip. I like the feel of the stock v-rod bars, but that would require changing a lot of schitz, and spending lots of cash. I hear the reach bars work pretty well, and will fit without changing cables. I've never sat on a bike with them on, so its just heresay. They are about $60.

For all you guys and gals with the clip ons, and the drag bars, I envy you. I'd last about 10 minutes with those before my back craps out.

·
Live Free... or Die
28 Posts
I am 6'2 and looking for a pair of bars the will be comfortable in town and on the highway for long distance. Don't know if I even need to change the stock ones but wanted to know about someone elses experience being my height.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A bit over 6' 2", 37" sleeve length and the stockers are very comfortable to me. I only have the DX bars to compare them to but the stockers are more comfortable IMHO. I still like the look of ther DX bars and may puchase some if I can find them in chrome. I went again to my dealer who had a DX with them in chrome and he could not find the part # for them....I don't get it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just rode from Harrisburg PA to New Castle DE and it wasn't so much as my back hurt (no problem there). But the place between my forefinger and thumb. Seems like I'm hunched over the bike and putting too much pressure on my hands. I'm probably going to get the reduced reach handlebars from HD and see if it helps any.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts