Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/enginelabs-blueprint-series-the-art-and-science-of-cylinder-honing/

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
swampboogie Doug - hey the red linkey no workey but when typed in google search it does. Excellent article ! I don't know how a guy would hone Revo cylinder liners - there is no way to hold them and keep them from spinning -if installed in the engine case a torque plate would have to be made to hold the liner flange down tight in the top of the bore so it wouldn't spin. Maybe Fitzgerald, V&H, Vreeland or some of the other Revo machine shops have that to hone used cylinder liners but I ended up buying new H-D liners and pistons, due to some light rust on my used liners in a bought used 1250 case. Do you or anyone here know anyone that hones Revo cylinder liners ? Be good to know - might salvage some otherwise cast aside liners for re-use. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
swampboogie Doug - hey the red linkey no workey but when typed in google search it does. Excellent article ! I don't know how a guy would hone Revo cylinder liners - there is no way to hold them and keep them from spinning -if installed in the engine case a torque plate would have to be made to hold the liner flange down tight in the top of the bore so it wouldn't spin. Maybe Fitzgerald, V&H, Vreeland or some of the other Revo machine shops have that to hone used cylinder liners but I ended up buying new H-D liners and pistons, due to some light rust on my used liners in a bought used 1250 case. Do you or anyone here know anyone that hones Revo cylinder liners ? Be good to know - might salvage some otherwise cast aside liners for re-use. :blahblah: :D
Best way would be clamp them between two plates. Similar to the big twin torque plates but in this case just to hold them. For just basic refresh hone as in a ball hone, a strap around the cyl and a vise clamping the strap. Done a lot of hydraulic cyls that way when no other way to hold them. The biggest issue is one needs experience when hand honing to get the speed and in and out to get the correct degree of cross hatch. Unless you are some form of robot or have years of hands on at this task, the machine always wins for best results.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Nothing is easy on the Revo -

Yea Ron two plates with long bolts or all thread connecting them would work and if a guy machined a bore into the plates that would match the larger top cylinder liner flange and the smaller non flange bottom of the liner so they would be located in the plate and there would be no worry of the hone torque pulling the liners out of the plates. Then the assembly could be locked into a hone machine and you could get a perfect hone every time. It would be some time & machining work but pretty easily do-able. I've hand honed a lot of 2 stroke cylinders but they're pretty soft, easy and the engine is forgiving.The H-D liners are very hard and the manufacturer must have special stones, maybe even diamond stones to get the right final hone finish - probably less time, money and best to just buy new H-D liners with fit pistons & rings for stock engines ( and Advanced makes softer but excellent oversize liners ) but if these parts dry up we may have to get a fixture as described to properly hone them in a good machine shop & reuse our cylinder liners. I'll spray my used liners with Chain Wax ( Cosmoline ) wrap 'em in wax paper, & put 'em in a box till that day comes - :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Yea Ron two plates with long bolts or all thread connecting them would work and if a guy machined a bore into the plates that would match the larger top cylinder liner flange and the smaller non flange bottom of the liner so they would be located in the plate and there would be no worry of the hone torque pulling the liners out of the plates. Then the assembly could be locked into a hone machine and you could get a perfect hone every time. It would be some time & machining work but pretty easily do-able. I've hand honed a lot of 2 stroke cylinders but they're pretty soft, easy and the engine is forgiving.The H-D liners are very hard and the manufacturer must have special stones, maybe even diamond stones to get the right final hone finish - probably less time, money and best to just buy new H-D liners with fit pistons & rings for stock engines ( and Advanced makes softer but excellent oversize liners ) but if these parts dry up we may have to get a fixture as described to properly hone them in a good machine shop & reuse our cylinder liners. I'll spray my used liners with Chain Wax ( Cosmoline ) wrap 'em in wax paper, & put 'em in a box till that day comes - :blahblah: :D
Yes, a simple version of the HD torque plate will work. It's more to just hold them to stop rotation during honing. That said for one off jobs, aluminum discs would be fine as there's no real torquing involved. Hell, even some decent wood will work in a pinch. The true purpose of a torque plate doesn't apply for our sleeves.
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts