Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 2006 VRSCR on Sunday, and have slowly been learning about this thing. Anyway, the stock mufflers had been gutted so I have been looking for other changes that have been made, and whether they were done right. I noticed this bike doesn't have the low end grunt I expected it to have, so I was thinking since the mufflers were gutted, I should probably get a tuner.

Well when looking at Moto Fuel, they mention other mods that have been made, so I went looking.

Apparently, the previous owner removed the top of the air box, and put what looks like a hi flow air filter on. Can anybody identify it?

They also zip tied the IAT sensor in front of the airbox, is this acceptable?

Third, where is the o2 sensor on this thing? I dont see any wires coming from the exhaust anywhere. Did it have them in 2006?

Fourth, if the guy out a tuner on it, where would I find it at? I dont see anything in the obvious locations.

And lastly, are there any other common mods people do that I should be looking for?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I did a little more research and apparently the Street Rods did not come with O2 sensors. So I guess an Xied is out of the question. If I get a tuner, where would it go?

·
Registered
214 Posts
o2 sensors didn't start until 08 i think, my 07 never had them, i bought it new,probably screaming eagle air filter, tuner goes under the passenger seat

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
137 Posts
So I picked up a 2006 VRSCR on Sunday, and have slowly been learning about this thing. Anyway, the stock mufflers had been gutted so I have been looking for other changes that have been made, and whether they were done right. I noticed this bike doesn't have the low end grunt I expected it to have, so I was thinking since the mufflers were gutted, I should probably get a tuner.

Well when looking at Moto Fuel, they mention other mods that have been made, so I went looking.

Apparently, the previous owner removed the top of the air box, and put what looks like a hi flow air filter on. Can anybody identify it?
View attachment 608349

Third, where is the o2 sensor on this thing? I dont see any wires coming from the exhaust anywhere. Did it have them in 2006?

Fourth, if the guy out a tuner on it, where would I find it at? I dont see anything in the obvious locations.

And lastly, are there any other common mods people do that I should be looking for?

Well the topless thing :) I know people will hate me for this but I would put the cover back on it unless the velocity stacks have been changed? I have a friend who builds 2,000+ HP motors for dragsters so before I messed with the air box seeing two different sized stacks, I asked him to take a look. And he said leave the top on for better performance. If I wanted the sound from it removed I should change the stacks to equal lengths, change the air cleaner shape and find out the length would need to be according to that air flow. LOL I decided to leave the air box in tact. (slight mod)

Fuel tuners there are a bunch, some reprogram the ECM/ECU and they don't stay attached to the bike. You download maps and reprogram, drive and auto-tune, add a on the fly auto-tuner (all auto tuning needs O2 sensors). Then some that just plug into the ECM/ECU or into the fuel injectors on the bike. I have (A BROKEN ONE) Corba Fi2000R 3 dials (TINY DIALS) for settings. You plug the bike wires into the Fi2000R, the wires on the Fi2000R into the injectors, test, start, ride, adjust then repeat until you get the settings you like. Mine lasted about 6,000 miles know I have been waiting about 12 days with nothing from them on if they will fix it, replace it or how long it will take. :(

I went with the Cobra Fi2000R because I could adjust it. They give suggestions but I have dyna pipes, K&N air cleaner, shorten the nose/snorkel on the air box by 2 inches. On the suggestions of my friend get a little more air into the box without changing the air turbulence in the air box. All the other fuel tuners you need to set a map that matches what you did and none of them have Dyna Pipes on a VROD. LOL I've pretty much given up on the Corba Fi2000R I really can't wait another week or two. So I was looking at the Power Vision but I would need to weld O2 sensors for the auto tuning. So I think I will go for the Vance & Hines fuel pack. It looks like a very nice unit and I just need to find pipes that are close to the Dyna Python Mamba's.

Long post sorry lol so if you are going to new exhaust (not just mufflers) with O2 sensors I would go with the PV. It future proofs the bike all the way to a turbo!
Power Vision Black Series for All J1850 ECM Harley-Davidson Models

If you're just staying with the air cleaner & mufflers I would go with a V&H fuel tuner:
Vance & Hines Fuelpak LED Fuel Injection Controller $ 329.99

But of course I would see how it runs first?
Runs great, no decel pop, no lag, idles great... Maybe your ECM/ECU has already been reprogrammed and you don't need to do anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the topless thing :) I know people will hate me for this but I would put the cover back on it unless the velocity stacks have been changed? I have a friend who builds 2,000+ HP motors for dragsters so before I messed with the air box seeing two different sized stacks, I asked him to take a look. And he said leave the top on for better performance. If I wanted the sound from it removed I should change the stacks to equal lengths, change the air cleaner shape and find out the length would need to be according to that air flow. LOL I decided to leave the air box in tact. (slight mod)

Fuel tuners there are a bunch, some reprogram the ECM/ECU and they don't stay attached to the bike. You download maps and reprogram, drive and auto-tune, add a on the fly auto-tuner (all auto tuning needs O2 sensors). Then some that just plug into the ECM/ECU or into the fuel injectors on the bike. I have (A BROKEN ONE) Corba Fi2000R 3 dials (TINY DIALS) for settings. You plug the bike wires into the Fi2000R, the wires on the Fi2000R into the injectors, test, start, ride, adjust then repeat until you get the settings you like. Mine lasted about 6,000 miles know I have been waiting about 12 days with nothing from them on if they will fix it, replace it or how long it will take. :(

I went with the Corba Fi2000R because I could adjust it. They give suggestions but I have dyna pipes, K&N air cleaner, shorten the nose/snorkel on the air box by 2 inches. On the suggestions of my friend get a little more air into the box without changing the air turbulence in the air box. All the other fuel tuners you need to set a map that matches what you did and none of them have Dyna Pipes on a VROD. LOL I've pretty much given up on the Corba Fi2000R I really can't wait another week or two. So I was looking at the Power Vision but I would need to weld O2 sensors for the auto tuning. So I think I will go for the Vance & Hines fuel pack. It looks like a very nice unit and I just need to find pipes that are close to the Dyna Python Mamba's.

Long post sorry lol so if you are going to new exhaust (not just mufflers) with O2 sensors I would go with the PV. It future proofs the bike all the way to a turbo!

If you're just staying with the air cleaner & mufflers I would go with a V&H fuel tuner:

Runs great, no decel pop, no lag, idles great... Maybe your ECM/ECU has already been reprogrammed and you don't need to do anything.
I would put the cover back on if I had one. When I bought the bike, it seemed to run great, of course I have only ridden sport bikes, so I dont really know what to expect.

Well I washed it the next day and used a pressure washer. When taking it for a ride later, it just didn't seem to run as good as the day before. When I pulled the airbox cover, there was moisture around the filter, so I dont know if water got in the engine causing it not to run right. I would think it would've burned off by now. But that could be why it just doesn't seem right, I don't know.

Anyway, the top cover would've prevented the water getting in there. I will remove the backseat and see if there is a tuner under it, if not I may go with the one you suggested above.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Don’t use the fuel pak on an R as it won’t fit- not without cutting holes in things. The ecm connectors are too large and the harness too short to mount it anywhere decent. And it has limited adjustability (you set segments to their “number “ and that’s all, but you don’t know what those “numbers” actually do)
As for the topless air box mod- do a search here- there are many posts on this but the general consensus is that it only makes noise, not power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don’t use the fuel pak on an R as it won’t fit- not without cutting holes in things. The ecm connectors are too large and the harness too short to mount it anywhere decent. And it has limited adjustability (you set segments to their “number “ and that’s all, but you don’t know what those “numbers” actually do)
As for the topless air box mod- do a search here- there are many posts on this but the general consensus is that it only makes noise, not power.
Without O2 sensors, is there any point in getting the Power vision tuner? If I can only load tunes and not do auto-tuning, is there any reason to even have that option and pay more for it?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well… there are certainly others on here that know more about tuning than I do. But I guess it depends on your future plans. Correct, these run an open loop system (no o2’s) but if you plan to go farther, you’d want them. If you want a different sound, and no lack of power issues, you can certainly tune it without them. These bikes were very lean from the factory for emission reasons, and if all the previous owner did was open the intake and exhaust, it’s going to be way too lean. A tuner will address that.

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
137 Posts
One of the reasons I went with the Cobra Fi200R small, mounts anywhere (mounted mine on the front of the air box), I can adjust it on the fly.
first dial/screw 0-2,000 RPM & Idle, 2nd dial/screw 2,000-7,000 RPM, 3rd dial/screw 7,000-9,000 RPM. It worked great for 6 months then died but I don't know what killed it me or faulty part. If it was me (caught in the rain) I did wrap it in plastic but who knows. If I ever here back from them LOL I will post what broke because it was a good & great priced unit.

·
Registered
309 Posts

View attachment 608349

View attachment 608349

Nice Bike.
On my O6 D NightRod - Same Motor/Pipes as your R.
On the airbox- I go topless bottomless, "relocated" the IAT (pic)-
IMO Runs bad in real colder or hotter outside temp if IAT just hanging outside the closed AF area.
Stock Pipes "Gutted Out" aka VMOD
PV 5 Tuner - Loaded Generic "Screaming Eagles Pipes w/Hi Flow AF" Tunes.
Big Improvement.
Your Tuner maybe under rear seat area or up front under 1 of the upper side vent panels.

·
Simple Pleasures
82 Posts

I went with the Cobra Fi2000R because I could adjust it. They give suggestions but I have dyna pipes, K&N air cleaner, shorten the nose/snorkel on the air box by 2 inches. On the suggestions of my friend get a little more air into the box without changing the air turbulence in the air box. All the other fuel tuners you need to set a map that matches what you did and none of them have Dyna Pipes on a VROD. LOL I've pretty much given up on the Corba Fi2000R I really can't wait another week or two. So I was looking at the Power Vision but I would need to weld O2 sensors for the auto tuning. So I think I will go for the Vance & Hines fuel pack. It looks like a very nice unit and I just need to find pipes that are close to the Dyna Python Mamba's.

I have the DynoJet Power Commander III USB on my 06' Street Rod. It has been a great unit, and DynoJet has many maps you can down load to try, or as a base to get started. The nicest thing I like about it is you plug your laptop into it, even with the bike running, and you can fine tune any segment of the map. Fuel delivery and timing.

Reactions: beast-usa
1 - 12 of 12 Posts