Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find out info about the Screaming Eagle Pipes? In my area they are busting people for loud pipes. Any suggestions?

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
noinfo - Where are you??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Screamin Eagle pipe's are not that "loud". If there bustin people for those, your cop's are real pri#@%. SE pipe's are maybe, 10 to 15 db's louder than stock if I had to guess. I've got a pair that I replaced with V-Mod stock version. I'll sell you my SE's for$275.00. I only used them for about two and a half month's.

Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I line in New Hampshire and work in Massachusetts. The police in several towns in my area have stated that if they aren't stock then they aren't legal. Also if it isn’t welded (i.e. slip-ons). The argument of coarse is that the police should ticket every car coming out of Meineke and the tickets usually get thrown out but who wants the hassle?

I like the sound of that djkuntz but I would like more info first. How tuff is it to install for a non tech guy? Do I need a remap etc. I have looked everywhere on the net but have found nothing on Screaming Eagles for V-Rods.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
The stealer can (all it takes is $$) install the 16ga, air cleaner and flash the EProm. I bought mine that way from the dealer. Can't imagine the cops giving one a hard time if it came from the dealer that way (although there is fine print that says "for off-road use only" or some such thing. You definately need a remap, and only the dealer can do that. With anything besides the SE, or SE16ga pipes, you have to have a power Commander or race tuner. I'm betting its a wash between doing it yourself + the power Commander vs. letting the dealer install SE stuff.
HD has moved all the SE stuff off their main page (probably the Feds again).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm about as mechanical as a 2 year old, but I put my V-Mod pipe's on myself. Took about 45 minute's. I also bought the Billet fastener's to replace those ugly clamp's. Putting those billet's on took about half the time. If you don't have one, buy a rubber mallot. You'll need it. That and some WD40. (or you might end up throwing the damn thing's accross the room) If you don't have a Power Commander, I'd buy one of those too. Then all you have to do is upload the map for your configuration, and your set. The differance with the Power commander is like night and day.

Dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
Daniii said:
The stealer can (all it takes is $$) install the 16ga, air cleaner and flash the EProm. I bought mine that way from the dealer.
Me also. Not quite sure as to the performance as I'm still running it in but they're sure as hell loud.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Funny they are citing for non-welded slip-ons. That is what is stock. I'll bet the PD motors are running non-stock pipes. They do around here. Sounds like someone in the biker community upset pd. Maybe you can get a copy of your traffic laws from your local department office? They are probably missing a section in their interpretation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The law states a decibel level. The problem is that the police don't own a decibel meter so they cite any bike that sounds too loud. It is then the responsibility of the motorcycle owner to report to the police station and have an actual test done. If you pass then you just need to show up for your court date and the police will state that they aren't pursuing the fine because of the passed test. If you don't have the test done then it is your word against theirs. For some reason the burden of proof has been removed from the police and placed on the owner.

It's funny in Massachusetts it is law that you must wear a DOT approved helmet. Then someone pointed out that all the state police are wearing unapproved helmets. Apparently the laws don't apply to police motorcycles.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Get your stock pipes V-Modded. They retain the stock look and state they are legal and meet federal requirements on the pipes!

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
To boldly go where no pork has gone before!

My respects to those in law enforcement.
But this getting busted after you get the thing? :eatme:

The law states a decibel level? OK! BUT, police don't own a decibel meter :plause: ? AND, they cite any bike that sounds too loud? Well I guess if they don't have the resources you have to put up with this :bs: .

:thumb: Motown_VROD
"Get your stock pipes V-Modded. They retain the stock look and state they are legal and meet federal requirements on the pipes!" :thumb:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
If you get pulled over here by an uneducated officer, and it "sounds" too loud, and he cites you, the city attorney won't accept it. there are 5 decibel meters in the city, and none of them are with pd. Now, if you get pulled over, and the officer sees "for racing/off-road use only" stamped on the pipes, you will get cited, and that will stick. The PD harleys have their baffles punched out at the stealer. As for laws not applying to police... that is true, to a point. the seat belt law applies to everyone, but who is going to cite an officer on duty without his seatbelt? not another officer, that sure. I still stand by my earlier point.... some biker p-o'ed the cops, and they are getting back in a legal, although frustrating way. you do have the option of filiing a complaint every time this happens... eventually somethin has to happen. Check your local chapter of ABATE if there is one, or whatever motorcycle rights org there is. I belong to TMRA here. They already have all the steps in place if something like this happens. Best of luck to you. I think the v-mod stock option is probably best for you, because it will still have the DOT stamp on it. I have D&D slip ons... they look and sound great, and dont have any stampings on them. They even look kind of stock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me state... I am not overly upset at the police. I know the crack down is because of people with straight pipes and other annoying behavior. My local HOG chapter and ABATE have organized a boycott of several towns in the area. Unfortunately I work in one of those towns and I don't feel like getting busted in the parking lot at work. I would love the V-Mod but what about new uploads? What does that do to my 1 year factory warranty. Also they can bust you for modifying a stock pipe :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts