Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way to get more miles between fillups ? im open to any ideas a bigger tank ? idk but on a 800 mile trip i want to stop as little as possible

·
Registered
164 Posts
other than riding very slow i am not sure. even if you put on a bigger gas tank i dont think it would be large enough to get what you are looking for. considering the performance i think the VRSC line is really good on gas. but i am sure others will see differently. my advise is just deal with it and enjoy the ride. at least every time you stop to fill up you can see how nice of a bike it is. good luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Other than more air in the tires, a K&N filter & 5mph over the posted limit, not much else will add to your mpg. Ride smart.....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
have you considered having a custom map created to maximize fuel economy?
On my long freeway trips I average between 40mpg and 45mph.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got, almost, 25,000 miles on my '09 VRSCDX. PowerCommanderV, SE air cleaner, and SuperTrapp Fatshots slip-on exhaust. About the only way I have gotten good gas milage is to take low-rev shifts, ~2500-3500 RPM, and keep your speed limit down like seebee mentioned. I agree, also, with AOW about the mapping AND about the stinking fuel guage.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Think about your safety and the condition of your bike. Getting off the road for a fill-up and a once around the bike may be just what it takes to keep you riding ffor the rest of your days. You can do 800 in a day if you push it and still have time to stop.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you're going 800 in a day, it's likely all interstate. If you're not really speeding you should get nearly 40, so that's a stop every three hours or so. What's the big deal?

The touring bikes have bigger tanks and get better mileage. Not that I'd own one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
slow down, run 65 to 70, easy on throttle coming up the gears,(no jackrabbit starts)
all which is very very hard to do with a VRod...
bigger tank, etc. is wrong way to go...
remember, you bought this puppy not for cross country rides..
you bought this for "looks, fun and quickness when you need it..."

what more can you ask for?
the above will get you a true 150 miles between fill-ups..
you butt will need the rest by then..
don't try for the biggest tank
just go with the flow...
and enjoy the ride..

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
The more horses you own, the more feed you need!

·
Registered
8 Posts
right on about shifting in low rpm's.. easy to say but hard to do but right on if you are conserving fuel... also, I installed V&H competition 2 into 1 pipes and re-mapped the fuel with a super tuner and put it on Dyno... was immensely worth the bucks and effort.. I have the perfect Night Rod...out of the hole like nothing else and conserves fuel as I keep the throttle under control...at least most of the time.... still, 150 true miles per tank is all I ever dreamed for... Have a GoldWing for trips with "wife" if you get my drift.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i bought the vrod for a good all around bike performance but i also didnt want to sacrifice being able to ride, 40s not bad i can deal with that

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree about the drafting. By myself or in the lead with my bros I hit around 30-35MPG. If I draft in a group I can hit around 45...right with my airhead bros, lol.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I will never understand buying a high performance vehicle and then worrying about gas mileage. It's bizarre. :paper:

Buy a scooter, the mileage is phenomenal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will never understand buying a high performance vehicle and then worrying about gas mileage. It's bizarre. :paper:

Buy a scooter, the mileage is phenomenal.
There's nothing wrong with modding for a little more mileage. To think "I'm going to modify and customize to be the fastest possible and get 5MPG" is just as bizarre. In fact, the most efficient motors powerwise are ALSO the most efficient in fuel consumption.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
There's nothing wrong with modding for a little more mileage. To think "I'm going to modify and customize to be the fastest possible and get 5MPG" is just as bizarre. In fact, the most efficient motors powerwise are ALSO the most efficient in fuel consumption.
Not this one! :D

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I shift @ 3500rpms & ride @ 70mph (don't go over 70mph). I get 42-44mpg's on the highway, riding alone, no drafting or anything like that. I am 5'10" & weigh 195.lbs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not this one! :D
What I mean is Volumetric Efficiency. The old train of thought was "make it bigger" or "dump more fuel in it". If we follow this we'd have motors the size of the airheads and carburetors with venturis the size of bathroom trashcans. The Revolution engine is pretty efficient as it comes, but every vehicle can be improved on. It's why cages come equipped with whisper quiet exhaust systems and smooth as silk shifting slushboxes. Every true rodder improves upon whatever it is that he rides or drives. Improve a motor's Volumetric Efficiency and the greater power output equals less throttle input for the same work.

For me, that has ALWAYS equaled more MPG (Miles Per Gallon) AND more GPM (Grins Per Mile).

·
N R S N V
1,012 Posts
Gas up....ride for about 150-155 miles, stretch, gas up and hit it again! Your ass will need some relief after each 150.
I say run at 80-90mph and not worry about gas mileage but how much faster you'll get to your destination!!! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts