Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the WEGO & Twin Scan system. Found one of the Bosch sensors was bad. It would not calibrate in the open air setup. Swapped it with the back one and the port worked. I will call then next week for a replacement.

The question here is how to obtain the data. The system records the last 12 minutes of data with the WEGO function active. So it looks like I will have to carry a lap top with the program running in real time mode to recover enough data in all of the ranges. Has anyone tried the software to see if it will work on Windows CE or Mobile? It would be great if it has a usb port on it where you could simply plug in a memory stick.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Dale wired in a switch that removes power to the TwinScan (you always want to keep power to the WEGO so the O2 sensors have power). With that switch you can turn it on when you want to record then off when you are done with the run.

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
For steady-state cruising, I configure the TSII+ for a 0.5-second sampling rate and hookup a laptop. Then you can collect as much data as you want (until your computer runs out of memory or battery power). When tuning for power and doing roll-ons in the different gears, set for the fastest sampling rate of 0.2-seconds without the computer plugged in. After a few runs, pull out the laptop and download the data.

I tried to use the computer (2-year-old Dell D600) to capture longer sets of data at the 0.2-sec sampling rate and communications always fails because the computer can't keep up. It may be able to keep up if you're using a USB 2.0 port. Having said that, I don't know the spec of the USB side of the TSII+ so I don't know if USB 2.0 gives you any advantage.

The switch solution that mjw930 suggests certainly maximizes the recording time. However, even if you're running on deserted public roads, that 12 minutes goes by in a hurry. I just resign myself to downloading the data from the module a few times during the runs.

Tune well,

Ghost

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ghost said:
For steady-state cruising, I configure the TSII+ for a 0.5-second sampling rate and hookup a laptop. Then you can collect as much data as you want (until your computer runs out of memory or battery power). When tuning for power and doing roll-ons in the different gears, set for the fastest sampling rate of 0.2-seconds without the computer plugged in. After a few runs, pull out the laptop and download the data.

I tried to use the computer (2-year-old Dell D600) to capture longer sets of data at the 0.2-sec sampling rate and communications always fails because the computer can't keep up. It may be able to keep up if you're using a USB 2.0 port. Having said that, I don't know the spec of the USB side of the TSII+ so I don't know if USB 2.0 gives you any advantage.

The switch solution that mjw930 suggests certainly maximizes the recording time. However, even if you're running on deserted public roads, that 12 minutes goes by in a hurry. I just resign myself to downloading the data from the module a few times during the runs.

Tune well,

Ghost
Do you know how big the data file is for 12 minutes at 0.2 sampeling rate?

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
Red-Rod said:
Do you know how big the data file is for 12 minutes at 0.2 sampeling rate?
Not very big: 150-200K. I think the communication protocol used by the computer during live data acquisition is a bit chatty and that's why I can't do live acquisition at the 0.2sec sampling rate. It obviously isn't the amount of acquired data.

Ghost

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If their was a way to connect a flash drive it would record for hours.

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
The TSII+ isn't configured to write directly to an external USB storage device. As near as I can tell, the computer drives the "conversation" during live acquisition. Consequently, you'd need to have the driver running on that USB storage device and they don't have a main processor for running the code. That puts you back to carrying a laptop.

Pick a route where you can easily go back and forth. I use the interstate just west of town between two interchanges that are about 10 miles apart. I start with by clearing the buffer on the TSII+ and ride to the other exit. I park on the on ramp for the return trip, pull out the computer, download from the TSII+, and save the file. Then I hop back on and make the return trip to the original on ramp where you download the data again.

If you make sure to cruise at a different target speed on each run, and include a few roll-ons and passes during each run, you can gather a huge amount of data in an hour or so. I usually finish with two hard 1/4-mile pulls from a standing start to work the high RPM ranges.

Ghost

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ghost said:

Tune well,

Ghost
If you plug in a USB 1.1 device into a USB 2.0 port the system will inform you of the performance shortfall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
does anyone know why the twinscan can't record knocking retard data in combination with afr reading imho dtt made a developement mistake here unless its technically hard to do

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
Harley, or their supplier has a patent on the ion knock sensor system so DTT could not use it. That is the only draw back to the system besides a 2 step rev limiter.

Mike

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
japie said:
elgavilan are you telling me the twinscan 2 cant record knocking retard?
Yes, that's what he telling you. Knock retard is part of the patented Delphi ION sensor technology.

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
Oops, My bad, I thought you were talking about the VRFID. My old twinscan 88+ could record and display the knock sensor readings, but don't know about the twinscan 2.

Mike

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Me too, sorry.

The Twinscan records timing retard just like the data mode of the race tuner....

The VRFID has no knock control.

·
Registered
136 Posts
that spooked me for a moment cause i have been using the twinscan 2 to monitor retard :stilpoke: acc dtt's manual :with the wego sensors disabled knocking retard is one of the parameters recorded :deal:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts