Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My street rod is a joy to ride, for the first 150 miles. By then however I have lost most of the feelings in my butt and lower back. Is there a seating solution, custom or otherwise, that will increase the distance between me and the bars?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
air hawk seat cushion. I do up to 600 miles aday with one.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I credit the air hawk for my 1350 mile ride (FT Lauderdale -Dallas) a couple years back. My ass wasn't an issue....

I bought a Corbin seat for the backrest. That is also a trip extender.

·
pronounced "shane"
441 Posts
Your seat was not built with your butt in mind. It was built for somebody else's. That said, it's highly possible that any aftermarket seat you come across was also built for somebody else's backside. Find a custom seat guy. You might try calling your local BMW motorcycle shop and asking them who their customers go to for custom seats. BMW riders, I think, ride longer than any other group of riders I know, and they tend to get their seats customized a lot. Once you find someone, set an appointment and block out a day off your calendar to get your seat molded to your butt. They can also put in a gel insert, remove hotspots from the seat pan, and clothe it in whatever material you want. You'll find a lot of aftermarket seats for sale in the classifieds because it's a crapshoot. It may fit. It may not. And just because it fits somebody else's butt perfectly doesn't mean it will fit yours. Don't waste your time and money buying an aftermarket seat, then selling it, then buying another, etc. Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it again. If the R is the bike of your dreams, get this problem fixed the first time and you won't have to ever deal with it again. It is probably the most important purchase you will ever make for your bike (you should be looking for the best solution, not the cheapest, and the best is not cheap). See my gallery for my custom fit seat. It's a lot lower than stock (b/c I have really short legs). Rich (my seat guy) also built up the back stop so I don't slide back in my seat when I accelerate. I also picked up an extra passenger pillion from a member. I left one in stock form but had it recovered in leather to match the seat (I leave this pillion on when it's just me riding - I like the shape of the stock pillion, I just wouldn't make my wife ride on it). The other one I had him build up for passenger comfort. She's small but the stock pillion still isn't very comfy. These are just examples of things a custom seat guy can do for you.

·
Cruzin the Dark Side
320 Posts
I'm really not to sure about the street rod version, but I installed a Harley Sundowner seat on my DX and it made a world of difference. I just did 850 miles over 2 days without a problem. I did the same trip a few years back with the stock seat and it was torture.

·
COLEROD
334 Posts
Sd

The Sundowner rocks as far as comfort. I only put mine on whenever I ride two up because it's butt ugly, but definitely comfortably.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The Sundowner rocks as far as comfort. I only put mine on whenever I ride two up because it's butt ugly, but definitely comfortably.
the Sundowner is a HUGE improvement over the stock seat, butt it's fugly on the narrow frame bikes.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
My street rod is a joy to ride, for the first 150 miles. By then however I have lost most of the feelings in my butt and lower back. Is there a seating solution, custom or otherwise, that will increase the distance between me and the bars?
IMO the R seat is seriously compromised by the design of the seat pan.

The Sundowner for the R will move you closer to the bars (maybe not so good for you). A Corbin is a possibility, although I don't think it increases the seat-to-bars distance. I have one and it feels very firm at first, but is actually pretty comfortable (and locks). Russell (http://www.day-long.com/) is expensive and different-looking but I know a couple people who swear by them.

A custom seat company can probably reshape some of the padding in the seat and move you back an inch or two, but the real problem (as I said earlier) is the shape of the seat pan. Because it has to be contoured around the stuff under the seat (e.g. the TSSM) there's only so much space to work with.

Before I got the Corbin I had a stock seat modded to reshape it and add a gel pad. It was an improvement, but IMO the Corbin is much better.

·
pronounced "shane"
441 Posts
IMO the R seat is seriously compromised by the design of the seat pan...A custom seat company can probably reshape some of the padding in the seat and move you back an inch or two, but the real problem (as I said earlier) is the shape of the seat pan...
My custom seat guy actually cut out the hotpoints in the seat pan (plastic parts that stick up into the foam).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts