Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought maybe some would want to know an easy way to pick up more luggage capacity on the V-Rod without sacrificing taking up what little space the bike offers for more capacity.

I picked up one of the T-Bags that take a single helmet in the main storage compartment, and has 2 zipper side panels for other "junk" you might be inclined to carry. These are designed to fit over a short sissy bar and fit the OEM equipment well.

Best news about the T-Bag is they are insulated, and living in a tropical climate, the bag allows ice cold beverages to stay that way (Gatoraide--the beer stays at home unless it is a LONG day at the beach where one could nap it off for awhile) or hot food to stay hot for that picnic with a significant other.

Back to the subject at hand. Luggage capacity. If you've added the OEM luggage rack, MoCo says it is good for 10LBS. Don't believe them, it will take at least 10.5 :icon_mrgr and then some. Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and look for the diamond deck sheet aluminum they sell. Usually it is in different mil thickness, so with the at least 10.5 lb rate, you won't want to go to heavy with the material. Once you get it back home, take the T-bag, put it over the aluminum diamond deck material, and trace an outline at the maximum outline of the T-bag with a grease crayon or magic marker. By placing the bag at one of the corners, you are sure not to have to take 4 cuts, only 2. Use a hack-saw to cut as far as I could into the material, locked it into a vice, bent it back and forth till it split. Then used my die grinder to clean the cut up so it was clean. Or if you are not ruled by Mickey-Mouse and have a power saw to handle the cut, that'll do the work too.

Pick up from a NAPA automotive store the chrome door side panel trim to install around your cleaned edges so if you should happen to strike the edge or hit it with bare skin, the edge won't chew up the skin.

Square the cut material onto the OEM luggage rack & with a magic marker, mark holes on the material on each side of the OEM luggage rack tubular from the bottom.

I marked 2 holes to be drilled at 3 locations, center rear, and at each side of the OEM luggage rack.

Drill the holes out with a 3/16th drill. If you can find the chrome platic wire ties or cable ties, use these to secure the aluminum deck plate to the luggage rack. If not the black ones work fine, as they are hard to see from beneath the rack unless you happen to be a wee small lad and use a step ladder to climb onto your v-rod.

The reason I use cable ties is if you should go down on the bike, the cable ties will break and release the aluminum plate, causing no injury to you or your passenger or additional damage to the bike. The cable ties are there only to keep the plate from slidding off, and are not designed to carry side weight in any way. Also, the plate will keep oversize bags from sagging, possible blocking your tailight, or from shifiting around from the load that you might be carrying in your T-bag.

The T-Bag I use has 4 rings tied to the bag, and through those I run a black shoelace to tie the bag to itself on the rack, sort of a zig-zag pattern to hold the bag from any slides on the plate.

Keep in mind that the aluminum plate is highly polished, so it matches the V-Rod quite well.

No, it is not a high-performance set up (been accused of a race wing on the rear of the bike!), simply a way to carry more in less space.

If anyone wants photos, let me know, as I can take a couple so you can see what it looks like installed without the bag, and then with the bag.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Photo's would be nice Rich.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one shows how the T-bag mounts to the bikes sissy bar and the snap locK mechanism. pretty sure most people have seent these set ups, but they are not seen commonly in Hawaii as few go on overnight journeys to another state. Something to do with the water I think.

Attachments

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the plate from the top, its as ugly as all-get out, but when covered does the trick. My memory is really getting short, as there are more tie-down points with the cable ties than what I put in previous on this thread. The chrome plastic trim is seen around the edge so the cut is hidden from view.

Attachments

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last shot shows how the plate ties onto the OEM luggage rack. Once covered, all that is exposed is the edge of the plate from the side view, and the look is of a touring pack. If you are going to travel, and need the extra space, this goes on easy, and when you return, can remove it for around town riding if you do not like the look. It installs once made in less than 5 minutes.

The weight limitation, well I have had 25 ears of corn, my jacket, a 16 ounce gatoraide, rags, and some other stuff in the bag without problems of the OEM rack coming apart. Okay, for something heavier, how about 2 EVO Sportster heads with valves installed?

Attachments

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another rear shot a little further away.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Thanks, Rich! I have 2 duffles and a t-bag I use for long trips, besides my teacup HD saddlebags. That plastic clothes hanger I duct-taped inside my limpo-duffle doesn't hold a candle to this!

I recently learned I can go 3 days in the same t-shirt and my Crash still loves me, tho, so I suspect future trips will require less luggage...

I could put my house on the back this way!

;)

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good god, good thing this is not a high spped turn or I'd be in deep kim chee. Not meaning to advertise here, but that is me and the better half at an BIA show...we do corrosion control. If you can delete the message above do it!!

Anyway, here is what I was trying to post.....

Attachments

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Val,

If not the house, maybe a mini-hot tub!! Small dog house maybe? A kegger!! Hows bout bricks....that'd get the front end up in a snap!!

Seriously, when your traveling, all the space you can find is a help, and this is quick, inexpensive and can be removed if not being used.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Yup, it's excellent, Rich.

And so is the pic of you and wife! Wouldn't delete it for the world!!

:goof

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Val,

I tried giving her the V-rod as a 25th wedding anniversary (silver) present....she refused it and said she was fine riding on the back. She falls asleep frequently. When we rode cross country, at the end of 500 -700 mile days, she was rarin to go, and I was half dead. When she nods off, the weight of her head pushes me to one side, and I tend to lean that way.....damn, its hell gettin old!!

The other bike is an 89 Sportster that is a fire breather. I was going to ride that while she rode the V-Rod. The 2 bike thang ya know....now she insists I sell the Sportster.....whtzaguytodo?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Well, there you go -- it's what works for you both that matters! After a long day on my v-rod, I LOVE riding to dinner behind my DH on that big ol Road King. A chance to cuddle up, talk a little sweet stuff in his ear, and have a glass or 2 of something with dinner without worrying about riding the bike.

So, you've got 2 toys - v-rod and a hot sporty!!! Don't sell it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wanted to thank Rich for posting those instructions. I also do some long distance riding and my bag has slumped down a little bit to cover the tail light. I knew what I needed I just didn't know where to buy the material. Next time I am in Home Depot I am going to look for that diamond plate stuff.

One problem I have with the backrest is that it is mighty short. Does anyone know of a bigger backrest for the V-Rod? Some of the bigger bags would be better supported with a taller backrest.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bruzer,

Call the Home Depot before going to look for the plate. I got mine at Lowes, I would think Home Depot would stock the material, but, double check to be sure. If they do not stock it, find a Lowes Hardware. If none around, look in the yellow pages for a mill supply or nut and bolt supply house, call them before going.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rich, thanks for the advice. I have never seen diamond plate at Home Depot, but I guess I never looked. I go there enough I will ask next time I am there. We don't have a Lowe's in Minnesota.

I purchased a bag with a rigid plastic liner inside it. It is a Renegade made by Saddleman. New bags these days have some really good mounting contraptions. I am able to mount it to the V-Rod with out too much slump. But when it is fully loaded it slumps a little. A taller backrest for the passenger would allow bigger bags to mount to the V-Rod, I am looking for some option to get the backrest seat higher.

Here are some pictures of my V-Rod fully loaded.

I don't get many pictures of me and the bike fully loaded, so these pictures are rare. The images do not have a close-up of the bag either. The bag is loaded and we are on our way back from the Harley Davidson 100 year party. As you can see the bag isn't slumping, but it does have a tendancy to do so.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Cool idea

How much gasolina will that thing hold? I already carry a tub of water on my back with a long sippy straw and don't need to change clothes, don't sweat here in the desert :paper: oh yeh, and need some tp for my bunghole, not many leaves laying around in the desert

·
Ride 'til ya rot!
193 Posts
One problem I have with the backrest is that it is mighty short. Does anyone know of a bigger backrest for the V-Rod? Some of the bigger bags would be better supported with a taller backrest.[/QUOTE]

I have the Kuryakyn sissy bar and luggage rack which are both taller and longer. As I found out, you cannot mix and match with the H-D rack and bar. (My black H-D's are for sale!). I am very happy with the Kuryakyn and have a smaller version of the bag - but with this idea, I will now get the larger one.
Gabriel

·
I used 2 B Disturbed
1,782 Posts
Nice addition! Some very thin foam between the luggage rack and the plate might save the finnish on the luggage rack as well as solve possible rattles from vibration...

·
2loud=2cool
448 Posts
that's perfect, that's about the amount of space you need to take enough gear, to make the difference between being cold/wet/miserable and having enough coats/gloves/raingear/chaps

be nice to be able to enjoy leaving home when it's cold, cruising while it's hot, and having enough gear to get home in the dark and rain if you need to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts