Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing my drag bars and running the wires through them. My problem is I've never worked with Molex connectors. How do you release the wires from the connector? Will I be able to reinsert the wires back into the connector after they are run through the bars or will I have to recrimp them first?

Please help... I want to ride this weekend! :)

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
You can take them apart. You need to remove the plug on the front end. You also need to remove the locking plug on the rear. There are small fingers inside them, when you get the plugs off. You can use the same small screwdriver to lift the ramps and remove the terminals.

Take a picture of the terminals inside the socket before you start to monkey with them. They only go in one way for everything to line up properly.

Take your time. They aren't too bad to work with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No surprise to me, I'm confused by this. I guess I need a little more detail if you don't mind because I really don't understand how a Molex connector works.

Remove the plug on the front end
Does that mean unplug it from the harness
Remove the locking plug on the rear
Is this the piece before you get to the rubber insert?
There are small fingers inside them, when you get the plugs off. You can use the same small screwdriver to lift the ramps and remove the terminals.
Are you talking about the ramps on the side of the connector?

I'm starting to think I should just cut the wires, solder, and heat shrink them. :banghead:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
chris40oz77 said:
No surprise to me, I'm confused by this. I guess I need a little more detail if you don't mind because I really don't understand how a Molex connector works.

Does that mean unplug it from the harness

Is this the piece before you get to the rubber insert?

Are you talking about the ramps on the side of the connector?

I'm starting to think I should just cut the wires, solder, and heat shrink them. :banghead:
No. When you unplug it from the harness, there is a pale whiteish plug you need to remove with a small screwdriver.

Yes it is.

Ramps are inside the connector, under the white plug.

·
Gotta Blast!
3,389 Posts
Do you have a service manual? There are pictures there that may help you to better understand. RJ is correct, it isn't too bad if you are paitient with yourself. You just need a strong thin pointy device to lift the ramps. I have had mine appart on several occasions and had the most success with using the probe from an old "trouble light" that I have in my tool box. I guess a jewelers screw driver would also work.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
roxxley-rockets said:
Do you have a service manual? There are pictures there that may help you to better understand. RJ is correct, it isn't too bad if you are paitient with yourself. You just need a strong thin pointy device to lift the ramps. I have had mine appart on several occasions and had the most success with using the probe from an old "trouble light" that I have in my tool box. I guess a jewelers screw driver would also work.
Rox,

The molex connectors are new for the 2007 and 2008 Hand Controls. The ones on your 2003 are Deutsch Connectors.

·
Gotta Blast!
3,389 Posts
Oh, in that case go get yourself a 2003 VRSCA, and give me a call! :angeldev:

·
VRSCX #395
206 Posts
the molex is different to deutsch , a service manual shows you the procedure when you have the connector apart pull up the the inside part there are 2 holes in the center, i bent a piece of wire it will come out about 4-5 mm then with a pin punch which is only about 2mm wide you push the terminal out

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
There is a tool for this you can buy it from an electronics shop for a couple bucks. Take pictures and/or notes, very detailed notes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I tkink I've got the same problem and couldn't solve it so far.
I want to change bars on my DX and put the wiring inside the bars.

I fiddled with the Molex Connectors for over an hour and nearly gone mad about it. The f***ers won't come out! I shot a few pics of the connector. Maybe someone can give me a hint about what to do, referring to the pictures.
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
See those holes next to the pins? A straitened paper clip poked into those holes will allow you to get the wires out. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks buddy - you made my day! Worked great and all the cables are inside the bars now. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Cool! Timely, too! I am exploring the world of wires and connectors. So far, I have resisted my diagonal side cutters................!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts