Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For the last few months I have been riding with the Custom Solo seat on my D. It was nice for long hauls. It changes the riding position to be a lot more comfortable when resting on front pegs but it was even worse than the stock seat when using the mids. So I decided to have the stock seat modified.

I brought it to a custom seat maker and he added some foam to raise the low point by about 2 inches and making it a lot flatter. I took it for a test ride yesterday and I loved it. It allows me to sit higher up and further back. The back support is gone but I really didn't like it anyways. The new riding position is more like the R except for the higher bars... I figure the seat hight will be about 28 inches. I also had him trim the passenger seat so it will fit properly into the fender base plate.

It's supposed to be finished tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a good test run through the twisties in the mountains.

I'll try to get some pics and post them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone explain how to attach a picture that's stored on my PC?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
When you make a post, down at the very bottom of the page there is an option to "Manage my attachments". Click on that and it will allow you to browse for the file/picture you want to attach.

PS. I would like to see this also. My stock seat is killing me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK,

Here are a few pics. You can see the shape is far less deep than stock.
I am sitting about 2 inches higher and a couple inches further back as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
ragbagz said:
PS. I would like to see this also. My stock seat is killing me.
I think my stock seat is really comfortable even after just finishing a week long 3000 mile ride but I think it is one of the ugliest seats ever.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It looks alot....fuller. How is it comfort wise?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ragbagz said:
It looks alot....fuller. How is it comfort wise?
It's a lot more comfortable overall...

The guy used a memory foam to pad it up. Which is softer than the original foam but the nylon/plastic middle section that looks like extra padding is actually very hard and doesn't give. I wanted to maintain the stock look so I asked him to keep it but I recommend that if you pay to have this done - have them replace the seat cover with a softer nylon material or leather.

Having said that, the ride height is much higher and gives your legs a lot more room. This kind of releives the pressure I was feeling when riding with my feet on the mid pegs. It's amazing what a few inches do for you. So even though it's not as soft as the Custom Solo seat, it's a lot more comfortable than stock and makes riding on the mid pegs a lot more fun.

It also makes me sit a few inches back so I leaning into the handlebars a lot more. I can feel the weight of my upper body on my hands. I didn't feel that before. That could get very tiring but it's probably not an issue on the highway given the wind will push you back.

The overall position is totally different. It feels a lot more like a sport touring bike. Your high up and leaned over. Kinda changes your center of gravity a bit. It really makes a difference when you turn or switch lanes quickly. The bike responds to your weight shifting a lot more than the Custom Solo seat...

Hope that gives you an idea...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thanks Peter. I appreciate that info. I dont know if I would like the weight on the wrist thing. I broke my wrist when I was a kid. It has never really bothered me until I was looking at getting one of the sportbikes, either the FZ1 or FJR. After a couple of rides I realized that my wrist was really sore. One of the reasons I ended up buying the V-rod. So I managed to avert the sore wrist. Now I have to work on the sore arse.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
I love the stock rider seat. My wife didn't care much for the D touring pillion. I relly liked the tuck&roll look all the way up the back rest. Now we have a Sundowner. It's OK for me and wy wife is happier. Can't wait 'til we get the new sissybar from Ginz. Going back 2" and up 6". I made a mock-up out of copper tubing thinking it would be too tall. Looked OK to me. I'll post pics when we get it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts