Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some swing arm caps from Pondo, man he does nice work! I ordered them in the hard coated black finish, thinking I would like the contrast of the polished swing arm and all black swing arm caps. Well after looking at them for several months I decided that I made the wron choice and should have got some polished ones instead, so I chucked them up in my drill press and sanded the hard coat off. I wet sanded using 400 grit and 600 grit sand paper, then polished them with a buffing wheel, using the drill press to keep everything uniform. This is the result, the hard coating stayed in indented parts and man do they shine up nice! I have no idea what grade metal Pondo uses but I couldn't be happier with the result.

Thanks again Pondo!

Attachments

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Really cool! :thumb:
It must have been a PITA to get the hardcoating off. I did that once with a set of color anodized caps, and there's a reason I don't offer them like that. I wet sand/polish all the caps on an adapter on a hand drill in my kitchen sink. Really pisses my wife off.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pondo said:
Really cool! :thumb:
It must have been a PITA to get the hardcoating off. I did that once with a set of color anodized caps, and there's a reason I don't offer them like that. I wet sand/polish all the caps on an adapter on a hand drill in my kitchen sink. Really pisses my wife off.
Man you ain't kidding! Tha hard coating is aptly named!

I chucked it up in the drill press, then used a flap wheel sanding disk on my 4 1/2" grinder while it was spinning on the drill press. It took a while even with a 60 grit disk, I just had to be a little careful not to go too deep so I didn't remove any detail.

The good thing was the wet sanding and polishing, I used Windex in a spray bottle to keep everything lubricated and clean while wet sanding, man that worked great!

Once I got the hard coating off, it took maybe 10 minutes to wet sand it about 5 minutes with 400 and another 5 minutes with 600 grit.

That got the finish on the raw metal perfect for polishing so it took only another five minutes to polish it up.

I used a polishing wheel on a 4" angle grinder and polishing rouge for a high gloss finish.

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Those are really nice! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Shadow11 said:
I bought some swing arm caps from Pondo, man he does nice work! I ordered them in the hard coated black finish, thinking I would like the contrast of the polished swing arm and all black swing arm caps. Well after looking at them for several months I decided that I made the wron choice and should have got some polished ones instead, so I chucked them up in my drill press and sanded the hard coat off. I wet sanded using 400 grit and 600 grit sand paper, then polished them with a buffing wheel, using the drill press to keep everything uniform. This is the result, the hard coating stayed in indented parts and man do they shine up nice! I have no idea what grade metal Pondo uses but I couldn't be happier with the result.

Thanks again Pondo!
I'm sorry, but you need an 'Engineering Authorization" request to modify a modification. It must be filled out in triplicate and forwarded to the Engineering Dept. for disposition. Engineering will be out of the office for the upcoming Holiday. Your request will be taken in a first come, first serve, basis upon return. You will be notified, in writing, as to Approval, or Disapproval. Thank-You and Have a nice day.:spank:
'

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hd-v-rodder said:
I'm sorry, but you need an 'Engineering Authorization" request to modify a modification. It must be filled out in triplicate and forwarded to the Engineering Dept. for disposition. Engineering will be out of the office for the upcoming Holiday. Your request will be taken in a first come, first serve, basis upon return. You will be notified, in writing, as to Approval, or Disapproval. Thank-You and Have a nice day.:spank:
'
LOL

Engineering Department, I requested approval several weeks ago but received no response, so in compliance with your own regulation ER 55-100-69 pg 201, table 5-2, note 8, and I quote "if request goes unreplied after a minimum of 23 weeks you may assume your request is being ignored and we could care less so you may proceed with your modification to your modification".

·
Registered
494 Posts
shurshot said:
:hidesbeh: Easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!
Ain't gonna happen - forgiveness is not covered under the manufacturer's guidelines for disapproval!

Shadow11 said:
LOL
Engineering Department, I requested approval several weeks ago but received no response, so in compliance with your own regulation ER 55-100-69 pg 201, table 5-2, note 8, and I quote "if request goes unreplied after a minimum of 23 weeks you may assume your request is being ignored and we could care less so you may proceed with your modification to your modification".
As well, since you failed to comply with the afore stated requirements, your extended service contract is now nul and void - do NOT expect a refund. :spank:

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Shadow11 said:
LOL

That's funny...good response!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts