Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm investigating which Vrod to buy, and between all the various models and years, I've decided to go with a Muscle or 2012+ Night Rod Special.

Theres pro's and con's to each in my view, but which parts are interchangeable? Things I'm considering are mid controls from earlier Night rods and Street rods, and if I go with a Muscle I'd want to change the exhaust into a one sided 2-1. Are both these feasible? :confused: This is purely down to mounts on the sides I guess.

Other things I'll consider once I've bought one would be tail swaps and bar setups. Thanks

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
You CAN put a single exhaust on the F (the Akro is a popular choice), but it tends to block the oil filler port.

There's a fix for that, but you won't like it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody know of any info sheets where I can find out which models/years had 5/6 gears, and I also read somewhere that the DX had a digital speedo, but all the pics I can find show analogue.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
There were no 6 speed transmissions available for V Rods. Not enough room within the cases.
And to the best of my knowledge,the only digital speedometers were aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... I also read somewhere that the DX had a digital speedo, but all the pics I can find show analogue.
The tach and speedo on VRSC bikes are digitally communicated and displayed as an analog sweep.

I.e., the values are sent digitally from the ECM to the IM over the DATA link line and the IM converts these values to an angular sweep of the instruments.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Jeez, there’s a lot of conflicting info on the web.
Why yes there is conflicting info on the web.:banghead: Just stay here and we can help you.

If you're looking for a bike with single sided exhaust, go with the Night Rod. You can always change the body panels and seat to make it look like a Muscle (or into some Euro Mod).

:vrodforu:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why yes there is conflicting info on the web.:banghead: Just stay here and we can help you.

If you're looking for a bike with single sided exhaust, go with the Night Rod. You can always change the body panels and seat to make it look like a Muscle (or into some Euro Mod).

:vrodforu:
Yeh I am leaning towards a Night Rod Special.

Other things I'm interested in though are the riding position - I read that the VRSCDX had the bars and pegs slightly back a little, making it a little less stretched and more comfortable.

I am predominantly getting it for comfort, as I currently ride a Buell 1125CR and my commute to work has gone from a 10 mile ride through town to 25 miles on fast roads and then 5 miles in town. I'm just too bunched up on my Buell - I'm not tall (5'9"), but I do have an XB Lightning tail/seat on it, and keeping below the wind over the flyscreen at 80 is a pain.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
You know I run the Buell front rim on mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, heres another Q...

I know in 2006/7 the rear wheel went up to 240, and the wider swing arm allowed for a larger 5gallon tank, but... the Street rod still had the 180 tyres but 5g tank. Did this have a wider swing arm but just unfulfilled it with the 180 tyre, or was it the standard swing arm and they just shoehorned in a bigger tank?

And was the higher seat height on the Street only due to suspension, or was the rear shock frame mount higher? (some pics look like that triangle was a little different)

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
The "R" has it's own frame which is taller in the rear area (seat & rear shocks). '06 & '07 only on the years. No wider swing arm. Not sure if anbody's tried to stuff a 240 tire under one.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
So there must be a wider swing arm on the 07+ 240 models. They must have made a different tank then for that one year to fit a 5G in a bike with a 180 tyre.
Not really. A 240 tire was used in 2006 for the VRSCSE2 using the earlier swingarm (with a notched brake caliper tab to clear the brake rotor). The 5 gallon tanks are no wider than the earlier 3.7 gallon tanks, these are longer and so are the 2007 and newer swingarms.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not really. A 240 tire was used in 2006 for the VRSCSE2 using the earlier swingarm (with a notched brake caliper tab to clear the brake rotor). The 5 gallon tanks are no wider than the earlier 3.7 gallon tanks, these are longer and so are the 2007 and newer swingarms.
So if you keep the standard brake, what stops you putting a wider wheel and 240 tyre on a Night rod, if its just the brake that has interference? The fender?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.