Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What risk does one undertake when running a free flowing exhaust (street force,samsons,or rinehards) without any further modifications? I've talked to several bike techs and have gotten different opinions. One told me that if the bike idles and doesn't miss then futher mods just address h.p. A dealer tech told me that any mods to the exhaust voids the warranty. Just want to know what my best options would be.

·
4,638 Posts
I think that you can talk to 10 different Dealerships and get 8 different answers. I think that the smart thing to do is get the input from the Dealership that you trust to work on your bike.....Most Dealerships tell you that if a problem arises with you bike and they can trace that the problem is from your modifications they will not cover it.....

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
If you make modifications to the V-Rod for exhaust or intake (air cleaner / airbox) then you must add fuel via a reflash to the ECM or various addon devices PERIOD! The Delphi EFI system is not set up to be able to compensate for variations in the engine package. It is specifically mapped to the combination of intake and exhaust. The tech that gave you the line regarding idling is a fool and knows nothing about EFI IMHO.

The other tech is partially right, any modifications to the bike effect the warranty. To what extent is up to the servicing dealer and Harley. If they can prove that the modifications you (or the dealer) made caused the failure then the warranty is null and void. Also remember, they (HD) can refuse ANY warranty claim for a modified bike. It's up to you to fight it if you believe the modifications had nothing to do with the failure. All the while your bike is down (or you're out the cost of repairs while you fight HD).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts