Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're running it, where do you find it? Any chain autoparts stores carry it?

·
Registered
503 Posts
i found it at murrays discount auto in the Detroit, mich area.. I think they are in toledo, cleveland, chicago area.

I spoke to the Mobil 1 rep at bike week in Daytona... it REALLY is better oil than regular mobil 1... as it has components in it that cannot legally be put in "car" oil. cannot remember the particulars.. but had to do with "shear strenght", etc

It's really designed for air/oil cooled motors.... I put it... mixed with the same wt. regular Mobil One in my air /oil cooled Porsche 911 to get the 'Illegal" components into my system.

I cannot speak to the benifits of using it in a v rod..

greg

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
missin44 -- I buy mine at the AutoZone.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
My local autozone has it as well.

Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If anyone wonders the reason I use it over standard Mobil one is that it is the exact same weight as the moco syn 3 oil. While for some areas of the country it might be thick in Texas there is nothing wrong with running a 20-50w oil year round even in a water cooled engine. Rumor had it that Mobil worked hand in hand with HD to develop the oil but when it came down to packaging the oil Mobil wanted there name in the fine print and the moco said no.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
THE STORY Max tells about Mobil one approaching the MOCO to do the syn is the same story I got from the Mobil 1 rep... but I got the impression the SYN is NOT Mobil One... as the MOCO is as usual.. simply too greedy...

Max.. is that your understanding?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Living in Northern VA and having Mobil’s HQ just off the Beltway in VA; there are several members of my HOG chapter (Fairfax) that work or worked for Mobil during this phase of testing, and they tell me the exact same story. Harley Engineers loved Mobil synthetic oil and Harley wanted to go with it but all Mobil asked was to have a little Pegasus on the bottle to note they made it and the MoCo, said no.

It's not like we think they make their own oil but MoCo did not want anyone’s name on it but Harley. And as I understood it, they waited until Citgo or who ever makes their 360 developed or merged with a company that had a synthetic before they started to recommend it.

That my input on this matter for what it's worth.

Dave

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
VA V-Rod said:
It's not like we think they make their own oil but MoCo did not want anyone’s name on it but Harley.
I do sometimes find the MoCo's attitude on things like this somewhat puzzling. Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, and many other high-end car manufacturers seem to have no problem letting their owners know its OK to put Mobil1 synthetic in their crankcase - many of them even have little Mobil1 nameplates right in the engine compartment.

But of course, none of these manufacturers are anywhere nearly as profitable as H-D. So maybe (from a purely business standpoint) you can understand it. But anyone who tells you that you will be doing your engine, warranty, or peace of mind any harm by putting a "non-Harley" motoroil in your bike is full of b/s.

·
Jamie
60 Posts
Just be careful of the oil you put in. H-D oil has been designed to work with H-D engines. Others might work, others might not. The thousands of hours and miles durability testing H-D engines followed by the thousand of man-hours inspecting the components to ensure the additive package that is added to the base stock is working properly, is really what makes the difference.

Running H-D oil will ensure you excellent life of your powertrain.

But if you want to go else where, be careful of a lot of the automotive oils today that are designed to reduce internal engine friction and improve fuel economy/reduce emissions will cause problems in your V-Rod powertrain. These EP (extreme pressure) additives will reduce the wet clutch performance immediately, and once the oil is put in, the modifiers can not be removed from the plates.

Just my 2 cents…

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have seen that test, it is my understanding the while Amisoil did not conduct that test, they did fund it. Does that make the results false? no. Does that make the results less valid? yes, in my book. Does Amisoil make a quality product? yes. Is Amisoil big $$$? yes. Even more than the $8 per quart of HD Syn or Mobil1 V-Twin

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
JamieMac said:
Just be careful of the oil you put in. H-D oil has been designed to work with H-D engines. Others might work, others might not. The thousands of hours and miles durability testing H-D engines followed by the thousand of man-hours inspecting the components to ensure the additive package that is added to the base stock is working properly, is really what makes the difference.

Running H-D oil will ensure you excellent life of your powertrain.

But if you want to go else where, be careful of a lot of the automotive oils today that are designed to reduce internal engine friction and improve fuel economy/reduce emissions will cause problems in your V-Rod powertrain. These EP (extreme pressure) additives will reduce the wet clutch performance immediately, and once the oil is put in, the modifiers can not be removed from the plates.

Just my 2 cents…
Jamie,

That's why whatever oil I run in the bike is motorcycle specific oil. While I believe that a quality oil of any kind, with the proper ratings, can and will protect the motor the wet clutch is something that no automotive oil is designed to work with. For me it comes down to these, in this order:

Mobil 1 V-Twin
HD Syn
Spectro http://www.spectro-oils.com/
Amsoil MC oil

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I was checking the Spectro site and it seems they now have a specially formulated 20W-50 for HD's. The wording is almost word for word from the original HD literature. http://www.spectro-oils.com/new_products.htm (page down to get to the V-Twin oil)

They also have what is the clearest explanation of the difference between modern car oil and motorcycle oil.

Q. I’ve noticed a new API rating on automotive oils called SJ which I do not see on Spectro products. Why is this?

A. Because the API (American Petroleum Institute) quality assurance system is driven by the automobile manufacturers. When API had SG as its highest quality level, it was good for both motorcycles and automobiles. However, when the API went to SH quality levels, changes occurred. Lubricant manufacturers added friction modifiers to increase fuel efficiency and decreased the allowed levels of zinc and phosphorous in these oils. These were concessions to the automobile

manufacturers and were a step backward as far as lubricant performance in motorcycles and, in particular, Japanese models are concerned. Increased levels of friction modifiers can detrimentally affect the clutch and starter systems in some Japanese motorcycles. Decreased levels of zinc and phosphorous are not advised for high RPM, high-output motorcycle engines which run hotter and have small lubricant reservoirs compared to automobiles. The latest API SJ rating further increased friction modifier treat levels to improve automobile fuel efficiency. Zinc and phosphorous were further limited, as well. All of these steps are in the opposite direction of how a premium-motorcycle lubricant should be formulated. Therefore, Spectro oils do not have the SJ rating on them for the reasons stated above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts