Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's time to do an oil change on my bike, and the previous owner gave me 2 quarts of Harley Syn3 with the bike when I bought it. The shop I work at sells the RevTech version of Syn3, and I can get a quart for $5. I've read both bottles and they both say not to mix with any other oil, but if they're both the 'same' I don't see what could go wrong... Can someone confirm one way or the other for me?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
ebrown0104 said:
Well, it's time to do an oil change on my bike, and the previous owner gave me 2 quarts of Harley Syn3 with the bike when I bought it. The shop I work at sells the RevTech version of Syn3, and I can get a quart for $5. I've read both bottles and they both say not to mix with any other oil, but if they're both the 'same' I don't see what could go wrong... Can someone confirm one way or the other for me?

Thanks
Do yourself a favor and order Amsoil. S3 is bad news do a search.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Mobil 1 V-Twin is also an excellent oil. I have used it in all 3 of my V-Rods. Dont mix syn's just to save $20.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Oils aint oils, not a good idea to mix them they all are 10w 50 etc but they have different chemicals in each and they may react with one another, you have a expensive bike dont be cheap, use one type of oil. use the other bottle in your mower.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Red-Rod said:
Do yourself a favor and order Amsoil. S3 is bad news do a search.
A lot of people are under the misguided impression that Syn3 oil is bad for your bike. The real fact is...it's a perfectly good oil.

Okay, now having said that don't everyone bite my head off. I have done my research.

Amsoil IS a superior oil in that it is a TRUE synthetic. The fact that Amsoil is superior does not make Syn3 (made by Castrol for those who are interested) bad.

Also, I do agree that you should not mix oil to save a few bucks, however, all of the research I have done shows that there is no evidence that mixing oil brands or even types is destructive, per se. I don't like the idea and never mix oil anyway.

Sorry, just had to say that. I love the advice people offer on this forum but people need to step up when certain advice is inaccurate. :soapbox:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
davetpilot said:
A lot of people are under the misguided impression that Syn3 oil is bad for your bike. The real fact is...it's a perfectly good oil.

Okay, now having said that don't everyone bite my head off. I have done my research.

Amsoil IS a superior oil in that it is a TRUE synthetic. The fact that Amsoil is superior does not make Syn3 (made by Castrol for those who are interested) bad.

Also, I do agree that you should not mix oil to save a few bucks, however, all of the research I have done shows that there is no evidence that mixing oil brands or even types is destructive, per se. I don't like the idea and never mix oil anyway.

Sorry, just had to say that. I love the advice people offer on this forum but people need to step up when certain advice is inaccurate. :soapbox:
Over the last four years I have read so many threads about people using oil and almost every case they used syn 3. Those that switched to anything else and reported back reported the oil use stopped. Not saying syn3 is bad but if your bike uses oil and you put syn3 in it before you jump to conclusions change oil to anything else. The odds are your consumption will stop. We have just seen it to many times now.

Syn3 is not made by castrol that I am aware of.

·
Damaged Goods.....
599 Posts
Hey Max, seems the same questions keep coming up on oil- just a thought FWIW, maybe you might consider making the following survey link a sticky? Or something like it with member results.

Oil Survey with research on each oil/member results/problems/solutions:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37406

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I use syn3 and doesn't use a drop of oil even after 4000 miles on the oil. If any bike uses oil it's because there is a problem with the engine either not being broke in all the way or rings are wore and it uses oil. This oil thing is total BS in my opinion and most of the complaining about bike using oil is from people with low miles on the bike and they never broke it in properly before going to sythetic.

·
Registered
330 Posts
ebrown0104 said:

Thanks

My advice......... No RevTech anything at any time!!!!!! :barf:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna go and grab another 3 quarts of Syn3 and use up the oil I have, and then switch to Amsoil or Mobil1 after that.

·
Registered
922 Posts
davetpilot said:

I'm not knocking your opinion here, but just thought you might like to know that Syn3 is a synthetic blend made for Harley by Citgo. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
MurphysLaw said:
I'm not knocking your opinion here, but just thought you might like to know that Syn3 is a synthetic blend made for Harley by Citgo. :)
I don't disbelieve you but can I ask where you got that info? The info I have says that the regular Harley oil is made by Citgo and the Syn3 is a proprietary blend made for Harley by Castrol.

I'm asking because, I have not had definitive proof that either of these statements are true.

Although I believe that an oil specifically designed or blended for Harley for engines that they warranty is a perfectly good oil, I would like to know where it comes from out of pure curiosity.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Citgo is the word I got also. I read it in a material data sheet if I remember correct. It was also the same sheet that showed it only being 40% synthetic blend.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Doh! My computer locked up before I could edit my post. The info I have read in many places including All About Motor Oil said that the regular Harley oil is made by Sunoco and Syn3 by Castrol.

Both could be incorrect. My point was that Harley obviously doesn't make any oil products but rather has them produced and blended to their specifications by some oil company.

I have also seen a lot of posts on various forums and such that state Citgo as the producer of Syn 3. I was hoping that wasn't true considering the fact that Citgo is owned by Venezuela's Chavez. I'm not a big boycotter but I do avoid Citgo fuel whenever possible.

After posting this I found this thread on another Harley enthusiast forum. I think this guy has some valid points but I hate to think that we are completely powerless to make a change.

Quote:

"something to think about:

Many different oil companies buy their crude oil from Venezuela so even Americans who shun Citgo brand gasoline have no guarantee that they aren't still sending their money to that country. And although Citgo may be owned by Petroleos de Venezuela, it is a formerly American company which is still headquarted in the US (Houston, Tx), employs 4,000 people, and supplies 14,000 independent retailers with gasoline and other petroleum products - Americans with no substantive connection to Venezuela who would be economically harmed by such an action. (Citgo also provides free or discounted heating oil to low income communities and tribal reservations within the United States.) And, of course, in today's oil market, Citgo could likely find alternative buyers for it's products far more easily than the US could make up the shortfall by a cut-off of Venezuelan oil.

it's a very tangled web and no matte what we do we're screwed. send money to the flaky dictator or send money to middle eastern terrorists? the only real solution is to cut back our dependence on oil, and that is going to take time. (and lots of money)."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts