Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got a 2008 VRSCD, and comes only with 2 keys and no FOB. the previous owner lost it and he said he has been riding like that and lock it manually with no problem at all. Ive been riding it too, so i assume the bike is in disarmed mode. so my questions:

1. would it be OK for not having keyfob at all? what if i have to replace the battery or pull the maxi fuse, would it go to armed mode?

2. one keyfob replacement is $45 + $55 stealer reprogram fee = $100. Scorpio 800 cost $200. can i just install Scorpio and forget about stock keyfob, or do i still need the keyfob regardless?

thanks for any input! :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ask the previous owner if he has previously set a "personal code" and what it is. If so you can use the security system and use the turn signal switches to turn it off (it arms automatically).

·
bcrichard
139 Posts
sounds like that bike is not equipped with the factory security if you can start it without the fob (is there a blinking red security key icon in the instrument cluster when the bike is shut down?). I know of no way to disarm the security without the fob present. On security equipped bikes the only way you can start them without a working fob is to punch in a PIN code.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think the bike has factory security, no blinking red when the bike is off. I will ask for PIN but i doubt if he has it. so i guess i can live without fob?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
definitely no factory security system. If you decide you want one, go aftermarket not HD. Scorpio makes a great bike system
OK thats what i was thinking too. So technically I can be with no HD keyfob at all, yes?

I wonder, folks with aftermarket alarm on 07+, do you still carry your HD fob or you just leave it at home?

·
bcrichard
139 Posts
OK thats what i was thinking too. So technically I can be with no HD fob at all, yes?

I wonder, folks with aftermarket alarm on 07+, do you still carry your HD fob or you just leave it at home?
The only reason to have the fob is to permit the HD security system to arm/disarm, it serves no other function, therefore if you don't have the HD security system on your bike you don't need the fob.(the later HD security on the '08's and newer is controlled by the fob which transmits the arm/disarm code by its proximity to the bike, it has no "on-off" buttons and is always activated as long as it's internal battery is good.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the only reason to have the fob is to permit the hd security system to arm/disarm, it serves no other function, therefore if you don't have the hd security system on your bike you don't need the fob.(the later hd security on the '07's and newer is controlled by the fob which transmits the arm/disarm code by its proximity to the bike, it has no "on-off" buttons and is always activated as long as it's internal battery is good.
fixed it for ya

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bit of a old thread revival
But I'm in the same boat recently purchased a 2008 VRSCDX and have no fobs from the previous owner
When I turn the master key on the red security key comes on for a few seconds then goes out. The bike starts and runs no worries what so ever but would like to know if I can just get a fob from my local Harley dealer and get it programmed? Or am I missing something else ??
Cheers ****
Ps pretty sure my bike was an import as I have the pink sticker on my frame ( I live in Australia)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts