Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinkin on puttin mini apes on my road rod.I know about the issues with riser's and cables etc.(it's an AW)and none of these sound insurmountable.What I would like to hear is feedback from someone who has these bar's on a v-rod.I've heard the buddies buddy stories but I could really use some 1'st hand info! Anybody help me out?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got many miles on my ride with 16" bars. They work well for me. I've got a rotator cuff that needs work and wrist/arm/hand injuries from years past that result in numbness with drag bars or low bars in general after a few miles. I get a lot more range with the ape's.
On a naked bike they aren't good for me because I'm holding myself against the breeze but you said you have a road rod so no problem there.
Mine worked well with a very small windscreen that only took the wind off my chest, I've got more wind protection now and they're still comfortable for me.
I put on quite a few miles per week and they've helped me a lot.
I do get the occasional stupid comment from dickheads, but I've never give two hoots what anybody else thinks about my ride. I consider it a plus, a proper motorcycle should piss people off.
But they let me ride several more hours per day in happiness than I could otherwise and I dig em.

Mac

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Mac! Your input is greatly appreciated! I think I may be in the same phys. boat as you after nearly 40yrs of const. work.I like the stock set up around town a lot but after awhile on the hwy. I am always lookin for a less stretched position.Since I'm doin this on an AW it's a bit more complicated but thank's to some excellent thread's on this forum I'm goin to be able to do it,the price just get's up there havin to buy the B riser assemb.And yer right,make yer bike your's,you're payin the freight,screw em!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
i am often asked, why do people put apehangers on their bikes, and i cannot honestly answer them.i would like to know the answer to this question.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
i am often asked, why do people put apehangers on their bikes, and i cannot honestly answer them.i would like to know the answer to this question.
Because they look BADASS.
I saw a Road Rod at Bedford HD today outside of Dallas...full Cycle Visions kit..the whole thing was flat black..the only thing that would've made it better was a set of apes on it.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I saw a Road Rod at Bedford HD today outside of Dallas...full Cycle Visions kit..the whole thing was flat black..the only thing that would've made it better was a set of apes on it.
.....and powdercoating those foot controls black. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used the 12" mini apes on my 2008 DX road rod conversion and love them.
Gets your arms up about level and allows you to ride back in the saddle rather than up over the air box. Click my username and look under album for a few pics. On an AW it is not radical but may be worth the change.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
im not sure others agree due to their reason for asking.is that the only reason?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wildcat,I checked yer pic's-nice! I'm runnin the same frng. and a tall wndshld. pretty much the same as yer's so I can about picture what mine will look like,thank's a heap man! Pecee,from what anyone that has em says ape's (of reasonable height) are the most comfortable position for the long haul.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
Pecee--honestly, it's my only valid reason.
I have a friend with a Road King with apes on it and I rode it for about an hour..was very comfortable..they were about an inch higher than my shoulder height.
I have no "real-world" experience riding a bike with apes for any great length of time so I really can't comment on practicality other than that..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ape reasons

I tried putting 16" apes on my heritage springer as a I got a bargain on e-bay and I have always liked the look of them on the springers. I found out that they give way better control of the bike and with my back problems are so much more comfortable for short or long rides in combination with a backrest. I will definitely leave them on the springer.

Attachments

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
The thing is..there are extremes..

Drag bars (for me anyway) make my neck and back hurt. They create a knot between my shoulders.
I hear if you have apes "too high" your hands can fall asleep b/c they are raised above your heart.
I think there is a middle ground.
I find the "mini apes" on the Crossbones, for example, to be VERY ergonomically comfortable.
I think it's a matter of personal style preference and also what is actually comfortable while riding.
I think for me, anything higher than 16 would make it difficult to manuever at slow speeds..I like having the feeling of control over the bike with my current handlebar set-up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya gotta love the old style chopper's with the major ape's and here in milw. you see plenty,especially at the museum on bike night. I'm gonna do this and I've pretty well settled on 12" bars,but now I see all the different brands have different width's! There's no end to the cotton pickin opts,overloading my circuts! Is there a general rule of thumb? Wider-narrower-same as shoulder's?

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very different starrzzz,I like it ! Mines in progress,wiring goin to sharkey to be inst. in 13" fatty ape's soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts