Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 08 DX and would like to replace the sewing machine pipes it came with. I could go with some really loud pipes like CFR's or Rhinehart's and I'm sure I'd love them. The only problem is the guards at the gate would never let me on base with them. I have Screamin Eagle's on my FLSTSI and no one has ever said anything and I'm satisfied with their sound. So I'm asking for some suggestions on pipes for the DX (not chrome) that will be similar in sound (low rumble) to my SE's but also give me some extra performance. I'll be adding a K&N, Gil's Box and going topless at the same time. Was thinking about SuperTrapps or Tabs so far. Thanx!
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
Or you can have your pipes modded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm new to VRods but I've heard of drilling 1/2" holes in the end caps and removing baffles. I understand that drilling improves sound, but not performance and removing baffles, wouldn't that be just like running straight pipes/open headers???
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
I thought I saw some supertrap cans on some that not only look nice but they let you change the end caps as you desire so you can get the exact tone your looking for. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I ride with Thunderheaders and have never had the guards at the gate stop me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JD_V-Rod said:
I ride with Thunderheaders and have never had the guards at the gate stop me.
Yeah but I think the Navy is more anal than the Air Force.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
I'll second the modded pipes. It's cost effective, sounds good, and will still meet all sound level specs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Just Vmodded mine. Sound isn't near as loud as what I had expected. Low rumble and not at all loud at idle. Get on it a bit and they do come to life real nice but not a sharp bark like a Rhinehart. I had drilled mine earlier with 8 1/2inch holes and so removing the baffles added a bit more sound but not overwhelming.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
COVROD said:
Just Vmodded mine. Sound isn't near as loud as what I had expected. Low rumble and not at all loud at idle. Get on it a bit and they do come to life real nice but not a sharp bark like a Rhinehart. I had drilled mine earlier with 8 1/2inch holes and so removing the baffles added a bit more sound but not overwhelming.
That's an advantage from where I sit. You can glide quietly in and out of a neighborhood at will and then romp on it an listen to it sing.
 

·
Not in EP anymore
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
moby_dog said:
Yeah but I think the Navy is more anal than the Air Force.
Ok, this guy is just asking for it. But I'll be nice and leave the Navy :dance: alone.

:stilpoke:
 

·
Jay Johnston
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
NightRod ELPASO said:
Ok, this guy is just asking for it. But I'll be nice and leave the Navy :dance: alone.

:stilpoke:
LOL I thought the same thing.

Anyway to answer his question, V-Mod them! It will do all you want and keep the guards at the gate drinking coffee and not worrying about you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I have never heard or read anything that says there is a maximum sound level for a motorcycle....and I used to be an MP. CFR is the ONLY way to go!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
usarmyttt said:
I have never heard or read anything that says there is a maximum sound level for a motorcycle....and I used to be an MP. CFR is the ONLY way to go!!!
I agree, but I once saw someone on a sportster get reported because his pipes were too loud. Then again, whoever reported him probably didn't get any the night before. And I'm not sure if anything ever came of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
moby_dog said:
Just bought an 08 DX and would like to replace the sewing machine pipes it came with. I could go with some really loud pipes like CFR's or Rhinehart's and I'm sure I'd love them. The only problem is the guards at the gate would never let me on base with them. I have Screamin Eagle's on my FLSTSI and no one has ever said anything and I'm satisfied with their sound. So I'm asking for some suggestions on pipes for the DX (not chrome) that will be similar in sound (low rumble) to my SE's but also give me some extra performance. I'll be adding a K&N, Gil's Box and going topless at the same time. Was thinking about SuperTrapps or Tabs so far. Thanx!
Try these [thoughts] out for size . . . Supertrapps included.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1001397#post1001397
:D
 

·
Where's Max?
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
D & D Fat Cats are pretty good sounding and look ok on a DX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, thanks for all the inputs. I'm still torn between supertrapps, tabs and CFR's but I guess I'll stop considering loud pipes on base as an issue. I like the idea of supertrapps being tunable, I like the look of tabs and CFR's but I heard someone say that CFR's black ceramic coating had some issues. So we'll see. Are the CFR's a slip on or are they complete all the way to the cylinders? And someone also said that 2:2's were better than 2:1's for low end torque. Is that true? If so, does anyone have an opinion on the best pipes for low end torque? I don't race and I may never get to 9K rpm but I like to take off from lights. Thanks again for all the input!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top