Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MUCH better ride today than earlier in the week. 72 when we left the house about 4 p.m., gorgeous spring everywhere. Hawthorne trees now competing with the vivid magenta of the redbuds, but the redbuds still win. Came over a rise and no truck this time -- just a glorious tunnel of wild white dogwoods floating between dark pines. At the end of the tunnel, a view of the mountain across the next valley arrayed in multi-colored greens. Wow!

So, we stopped on the bridge at the bottom of the mtn to watch the sun on the water and catch our breath after the twisties. And I noticed my rear tire is getting a bit worn. I have 6000 miles on it -- not time to change yet, but getting there. My front tire is still perfect. No evidence of cupping, still lots of good, deep tread. I got the Metz's because I was told they last longer than the stock Dunlops, but my front tire went first on my last set, around 7k miles. Can it be all these burn-outs I've been doing??

Seriously, anybody have extended experience with the Metz's? Can I possibly be riding that differently this year to make my rear tire actually start to bite it at 6k miles? Or, what's going on here. I might have another 2k to go on this rear tire, the way it looks.

Val

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Val.. The roads are starting to thaw out... warmer roads means better traction.The metz have been good to me but I'm looking at the avons for my next set.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg, how many miles have you gotten out of the Metz's so far? I hear the Avons go even faster than the Dunlops.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Val...About 4500 so far and the wear is good, I like the look of the avon and will help on top end with the 28 tooth pulley

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thats terrible Val I get at least 2,500 miles on my rear tires without a problem. :)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val I have a pretty aggressive riding style.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am on my third set of Dunlops and get 12,000 miles on front and rear. I peel away from most stops but my major Burn-out is saved for the same day I plan on changing out my tires. Then it's one fine major Burn-out. I still have a two inch deep groove in my driveway. Save your tread and play big at the end!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gal Flys,
I thought those flames on your bike were only PAINTED on...

·
Registered
178 Posts
vrod: HELLO ALL! HERE'S A ? I'VE BEEN OUT BREAKING IN MY NEW METZ 200 REAR AND STOCK SIZE FRONT. I WARM UP MY TIRES AS MUCH AS I CAN BEFORE I HIT THE TWISTY'S. I HAVE ABOUT 300 MILES ON MY NEW RUBBER. THIS WEEK WHEN I WAS TURNING LEFT FROM AN INTERSECTION, THE FRONT TIRE SLID A COUPLE OF INCHES WHEN I WENT OVER ONE OF THOSE TAR STRIPS THAT THE DOT SEALES UP THE CRACKS WITH. FIRST I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE BECAUSE OF A WET SPOT, LATER IN THE DAY I FELT A SLIP AT SPEED WHILE IN A LONG SWEEPING TURN, IT WAS NOT WET. THESE SLIPS MOVE THE FRONT END OF THE BIKE THE WIDTH OF THESE TAR STRIPS, 2 OR 3 IN. IS THIS HAPPENING TO ANY OF YOU? P.S. THE REG GAS PRICE HERE IN BATH, NY JUST HIT 1.95 PER.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1BADV, tar snakes and painted lines are notoriously slippery, especially when they're wet. I try to avoid them when possible!

Hope you're not shouting at us -- that's what writing in all caps usually indicates. All caps text is harder to read, too. Any chance you could unlock your caps button when posting?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Well VAl and gal flys my bike has never done a burn out. I simply do not do them, I have however spun the tires while doing normal take offs but never a power brake burn out.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have 3000 on the 200 metz rear and it's almost like new.I like to save mine for the major burnouts at the end of the tires life.The front is a new metz and the bike handles like a dream.The buffeting in big truck draft has been reduced w. front and rear metz.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that sounds about what I've got going here, vette family.

P.S. I was just kidding about the burn outs. Wouldn't even know how to do one!! maybe someone can tell me when it's time to replace the rear tire (soon)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts