Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some research on the new Michelin tires available on the new 2011 V-rods. Here is what I found so far

120/70/ZR19 19" Front P/N # 43213-11

MSRP.........$189.95
CHI Harley $151.96
Zanotti's....$148.16

240/40/R18 18" Rear P/N # 43189-11
MSRP........ $259.95
CHI Harley $207.96
Zanotti's ...$202.76

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Thanks John. I will be interested to see how these tires play out. Hopefully very well so we have another good choice for the V's. Too bad they don't have a 180 option.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John. I will be interested to see how these tires play out. Hopefully very well so we have another good choice for the V's. Too bad they don't have a 180 option.
I did not check on a 180 tire option. It may be there.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
i am pretty sure there is a 180 option for them. We were waiting on the 240 and now its available!!

awesome

·
Beck
44 Posts
anythink the metzler me880 front tire looks odd on their bike with the different tread pattern, just got one I guess it will grow on me

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a chance to view the new Michelin tires on a 2011 Muscle. Harley branded all the way including the bar and shield logo burned into the rubber all the way around the tire sidewalls. Both sides. Must have been 50 bar and shield logos on the rear tire.
They looked good though. Looked a little like Low profile tires to me.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
My rear tire is a 40 profile on the F so it is a lower profile than usually mounted. So far they have performed well on tight turns etc. Haven't had any rain in more than a week to test the wet performance.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My rear tire is a 40 profile on the F so it is a lower profile than usually mounted. So far they have performed well on tight turns etc. Haven't had any rain in more than a week to test the wet performance.
I appreciate the confirmation. I wasn't quite sure I saw what I thought I saw.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I will let you know when I get them on possibly next week. I guess this is a follow up to my original thread.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Got a chance to view the new Michelin tires on a 2011 Muscle. Harley branded all the way including the bar and shield logo burned into the rubber all the way around the tire sidewalls. Both sides. Must have been 50 bar and shield logos on the rear tire.
They looked good though. Looked a little like Low profile tires to me.
Remember these tires are OEM tires made by Michelin FOR Harley-Davidson MOCO, these are not true aftermarket tires such as Avon or Metzeler. And as such the only place you will be able to purchase these will be through a Harley dealer (at least for awhile). Similar situation with the newer touring tires made by Dunlop (D407 and D408 F series) which were released in 2009 and still only available through the dealers. It will be interesting to hear peoples long term results with these OEM tires.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Remember these tires are OEM tires made by Michelin FOR Harley-Davidson MOCO, these are not true aftermarket tires such as Avon or Metzeler. And as such the only place you will be able to purchase these will be through a Harley dealer (at least for awhile). Similar situation with the newer touring tires made by Dunlop (D407 and D408 F series) which were released in 2009 and still only available through the dealers. It will be interesting to hear peoples long term results with these OEM tires.
Did you read the Michelin web site? It's just another tire they sell. Tell you what, go to your favorite after market tire store and try ordering a set, then tell us the outcome. I will bet money you can buy them from any place that works with a distributor who handles Michelin tires.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=scorcher11

All the motorcycle tire company's sell their OEM style rubber over the counter to anyone with the money. Spend a little time studying their web sites and see what is really available. Harley made a similar claim about the rubber used on the XR-1200 but in fact all they are is a normal D209 Sportmax available anywhere.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Anyone compare them side by side with a Metzler 260? I'm hoping they are close to the same size.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I appreciate the confirmation. I wasn't quite sure I saw what I thought I saw.

The profile # is the % of the width,making a 240 x 40 having 96mm from the bead to the ground.
If they do the profile on an actual 240mm's,instead of actual width,and the tire is wider than 240 mm's,it will look lower than the others that aren't 240mm's wide.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
:popcorn

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a new 11 nrs with the new michelin tires on it. I have rode it on wet pavement and it had pretty good grip so long as too much throttle was not applied. I tried them on a twisty mountain road and they done just great. They also have very good grip on dry pavement. But I don't ride aggressive on curvy roads. I do like to kick it a little every now and then when the road straightens out. I think it is a good tire for wet weather. Had pretty good wet grip. I liked the tire for now unless you guys enlighten me on a better tire

1 - 20 of 21 Posts