Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MICHELIN® Scorcher® "11" vs Metzeler ME 880 Marathon XXL

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone had expierence with MICHELIN® Scorcher® "11" vs Metzeler ME 880 Marathon XXL tires and which one would be a better choice.

Thanks in advance

HunterBug

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
try one, then the other, I so far have had the stock Dunlops f/r, The Metzlers f/r, and have currently the pirelli's f/r,
I already have a pair of avon cobras that will be going on next.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
just put a pirelli nightdragon on my F ..... love it . feels really different to the Dunlop that came on the 2010 model ..... easier into corners .. it dips in nice rather than having to push it into corners .... need a new front in 500 km so will put pirelli on there too

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Since Michelin just started making tires for the VRSCs for the 2011 lineup, it's doubtful that there is anyone out there that has put enough miles on the new stock Scorchers and have now switched to Metz or viceversa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Talking REAR tyre only. I just wore out my Scorcher after 13800k's. then went onto the 880 and have done 2000k's on them so far. i find it quite hard to compare. i think you really need to break traction in some shape or form to get to really know a tyre and thats not something i do on this bike... or very rarely. so they feel very similar to me. im sure better riders can understand it better. on a track you can compare but road conditions are so variable where i live you don't know if it is the tyre or that corner at that speed on that particular day that is making the difference. but, i would say, if i HAD to choose one i would choose the scorcher. just felt a little more predictable and settled. metzler tread pattern looks better if that counts, on such a cool and prominent rear tyre it is noticable. havent had a chance to try the metzler in the wet yet. im very interested to see what k's i'll get out of this tyre. i do a lot of traffic stop start and alot of county type rides at about 120-140k/hr with big sweeping corners. im interested to hear peoples comments on these tyres.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Since Michelin just started making tires for the VRSCs for the 2011 lineup, it's doubtful that there is anyone out there that has put enough miles on the new stock Scorchers and have now switched to Metz or viceversa.
I have. I am about to replace my Scorchers after 20,000 miles. Both front and rear seem to be wearing at about the same rate. Both were installed at the same time and both are now worn out. They aren't quite down to the wear marks yet but close. I ride a lot and need a high mileage tire.
They have performed well for my riding style. I am not aggressive but do occasionally scrape the foot pegs. I have ridden in all kinds of weather including sunshine rain and wind and have not had a single problem with them loosing traction. I spent a week at the4 Dragon running the mountain roads up there with no tire problems. The side walls are firm and do not flex like the Dunlop's do. I tried Pirelli Night Dragons and wore them out in 7500 miles. My Dunlop's normally would last 10-12,000 miles

Here are pictures after 20,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
you certainly got more distance out of it than me. my rear wear is from going to work on it every day and the huge amount of stop start i have to do at traffic lights. 28 sets of lights a day means a lot of launching. my front however is probably going to be good for about 20000ks.

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
I had to replace my Dunflops after 6000km...went metzlers......there round, made of rubber and black.....does the job for me.....

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
you certainly got more distance out of it than me. my rear wear is from going to work on it every day and the huge amount of stop start i have to do at traffic lights. 28 sets of lights a day means a lot of launching. my front however is probably going to be good for about 20000ks.
The road condition certainly has a lot to do with it. Our roads here in Florida are in good shape. Not a lot of pot holes and deterioration etc.

BTW. Those 28 lights; you don't have to launch at 9K rpms at every one to get going. Might have something to do with premature tire wear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally I love Michelin (would put my life on them and have). Ran them in my croch rocket days and I trust them. Have not tried the scorchers yet but I never doubted the Mich pilot power that I used to run. Can't wait for my tires to wear so I can replace them with Mich.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
1,783 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
How many miles on them and how are they in the rain??
I don't ride in the rain. I don't have many miles on them but it doesn't take long to feel the difference. They are soft and have lots of grip. Just like the tires on my racing kart.

They are pretty much a street legal road race tire. But they where made by Conti' with the V-Rod Muscle in mind. Not for everyone but just right for me. I like to go fast around corners. I think I said that once before.

Also remember I have a lot of work and $$ in my suspension, bring out the best in the tire and in turn bring out the best in the bike. The stock bike probably would not benefit as much as my bike has from the tire. (Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork cartridges and Bitubo racing shocks)

I an holding my breath to see how long they last. If you are an x sport bike rider and you like to ride your Muscle like its a sport bike in stead of a powder cruiser, this could be the tire for you. Just don't forget to rework your suspension.

Not for everyone but just right for me, at least till they wear out. If I buy another set, that's when we will know for sure, that they are OMG

Bicep

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the info Bicep!

I have nitto drag radials on my Ford Lightning, but I need rain tires for my F.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I as well am at 19,100kms on my Michelin Scorcher II's still on my stock rubber(2011) and im quite impressed with the handling on them...I did hear good things with Avon's and the Metzeler ME 880's.. I'll be do for a new back,front as well...Just not sure if I wanna experiment or not.. faack..

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Bumping this old thread, should be more relevant now since more people have miles on their scorchers and can compare.

I'm interested in the stock scorchers and the Avon cobras. Anyone have experiences on both of these sets? Going to change my tires over the winter.

·
VRSCF
1,288 Posts
I ran the Scorchers for first 5k miles, they were good, but then the ME880 were a good improvement so have stuck with them and now have the 3rd going on, they seem to last about 5k miles on the rear and 7-8k on the front

the Scorchers seemed to square off quite early, the Metz seem better up to the last 500 miles or so

key difference is weight. Many people spend thousands on new rims to save a few lbs. Just changing to the Metz tyres saves a few lbs over the factory Scorchers and its really noticeable on how the bike turns in easier

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scorcher 11 's by far the best. I got 13500 km out of rear and 16500 front, very sticky tyre and hangs on in either wet or dry conditions riding hard. Bit expensive here in NZ due to Harley Davidson dealers being the only ones allowed to sell them !!! Have tried Dunlop Elite 3...very hard compound, Metz 880 wear out around 10000 km . Says it all really

1 - 20 of 23 Posts