Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed my front Metzler tire is cupping. It probably has 4k miles on it. I thought this was just an issue with the Dunlop's. Anyone else have this issue with your Avon or Metzler?

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I have not seen any cupping on my Metzlers with 5,000 miles. What air pressure do you run your front at. I keep mine at 36 to 38 psi, that seems to help out.

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

·
orig member feb 2004
724 Posts
widdlewunn said:
I'll have to check it out tomorrow.
Depending on weather conditions where your at, I like to check my tire
pressure every two weeks,I do this on ALL my vehicles. I've spent way
to much replacing tires because of neglecting to check them often enough.
With 30 degree swings in temp. almost daily,my presures drop 2lbs in 2 wks.:D

·
Ex Night Rodder
152 Posts
ME880's front is cupped all to SH*T!!! after about 7500 miles. Tire psi was always kept at 37-38. I suspect it was due to either: the fork neck bearing beeing a bit on the loose side (serious wobble at 130); or the front brake discs being noticeably warped (POS!!!:mad: ). I am due to replace them anyway since the rear tire has almost no tread left. I haven't decided if I will go Metz again or back to the Dunlops, but I need to decide soon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It seems to be an air pressure issue i keep mine between 40 and 42 anything lower I noticed a bit of cupping. I have the me880's also, next year the rear will remain a 200 me880 but for the front I think that I will look for something softer (more grip)

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I have about 8,000 miles on my Metzlers and they still look ok. No cupping on front as I had with the OE Dunlops.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If you look at a new Metz tire you will see it is cast in the tire to run 42lbs.This pressure has been revised to help stiffen the sidewall for stabilty.This is the reason Harley went to the 280 Dunlop but as we all know it didn't help much.
I run 40lbs cold in my front Metzeler's without a cupping issue.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Um....help a brother out here.....Just what IS "cupping"? What am I looking for?

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
stever975 said:
Uneven wear around the circumference of the tire tread area. This video shows an example around 6:00 minutes in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Yq7DMRwbw
:notworth: YOU....are the man. That video was perfect...learned a lot actually. You should post that link as a permanant searchable fixture somewhere around here....

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I agree, that is the most useful video on youtube I have ever seen.

I have 5600 on the OEM Dunlops and they still look great. I have never had problems with Dunlops on the geezer glide either.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Gripit_n_Ripit said:
:notworth: YOU....are the man. That video was perfect...learned a lot actually. You should post that link as a permanant searchable fixture somewhere around here....

Nice video!

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Ran my 200 mm Metz till their bald and then some with lotza miles...10+ K.
Ride it like U stole it!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
All tires for front or steering applications wear in a manner that the leading edge of a tread block, the edge that first contacts the pavement as it rolls, wears more than the trailing edge.
Some tread patterns are more suseptible and things that can accentuate the problem are driving patterns, air pressure, steering geometry and rolling effort/friction due to bearings and brake drag.
I've got the first set of Metz's on my bike and have just over 3k miles on them. They show some this type of wear but I don't feel it is extreme or as bad as the wear on the Dunlop's previously run.
Back in the 70's, old Dunlop K70 and Pirrelli "universal" block tread tires would look like "saw blades" after 1000 miles the wear pattern was so extreme.
Modern tire designs do alot to help reduce this but as long as there are tread blocks or patterns of anytype you will have leading edge wear.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
rc4man said:
All tires for front or steering applications wear in a manner that the leading edge of a tread block, the edge that first contacts the pavement as it rolls, wears more than the trailing edge.
Some tread patterns are more suseptible and things that can accentuate the problem are driving patterns, air pressure, steering geometry and rolling effort/friction due to bearings and brake drag.
I've got the first set of Metz's on my bike and have just over 3k miles on them. They show some this type of wear but I don't feel it is extreme or as bad as the wear on the Dunlop's previously run.
Back in the 70's, old Dunlop K70 and Pirrelli "universal" block tread tires would look like "saw blades" after 1000 miles the wear pattern was so extreme.
Modern tire designs do alot to help reduce this but as long as there are tread blocks or patterns of anytype you will have leading edge wear.
:notworth: :notworth: exactly!

my Metz seem to have this to a less noticeable extent than the d207 or d208 that i ran but it is still clearly there...i suppose to totally eliminate this problem you could just ride in a straight line and never turn, but then you'd get a flat spot...it's a catch 22 :D

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
Went riding with Toby (Scooter58) this past weekend.
He's driving a new DX with the new Dunlops.
We've both 3k-4k miles on the tires and the Metz on my bike is not near cupped as bad as the Dunlop on his.
That new style Dulop appears to wear even more bizarrely than the older type.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts