Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've about 750-1000 miles on a 240 Metzler Marathon. Have been through a number of rear tires on my 2011 VRSCF. The stock tire, a Pirelli Nightdragon, Michelin Commander - all come to mind.

This marathon though, I cannot go WOT in first gear without the rear breaking loose. It is fine in all other conditions. Running at recommended pressure (42psi cold). I've always been able to break the rear loose with the clutch, but this kinda sucks. Just cannot WOT in first gear. No engine mods in years. WTF...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've about 750-1000 miles on a 240 Metzler Marathon. Have been through a number of rear tires on my 2011 VRSCF. The stock tire, a Pirelli Nightdragon, Michelin Commander - all come to mind.

This marathon though, I cannot go WOT in first gear without the rear breaking loose. It is fine in all other conditions. Running at recommended pressure (42psi cold). I've always been able to break the rear loose with the clutch, but this kinda sucks. Just cannot WOT in first gear. No engine mods in years. WTF...
That sucks.

However letting us know that lets us avoid that tire, so thanks for the feedback

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Been using the Marathon for years, on my old R, my buddy's A, my wife's 1200N and my F.

Never, ever had a problem like you described. Great, great tire as far as I'm concerned.

Huh.

R.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
1 up, 42 psi? ain't that too much air?
36 f, 38 rear for stock anyway I think
At 42 id expect it to be slippery
I have 2500 miles on my Mets' and no weird wear or cupping running @
36, 38.
I think they are on the slick side overall, i just got used to them.
stock 06 D

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
993 Posts
Try Bridgestone. I really like them. They wear well, last long, stick good, and don't leave you with that "is there a hinge in the middle of my ride?" Feeling.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did a little experimentation this weekend. Dropped cold pressure from 42 to 36. Rode on hot surface, warmed tire up. Same slippery behavior. Let it cool down, dropped to 30. Same ****in' slippery tire, it'll even spin in 2nd gear. Hate this thing. Maybe someone will want to buy it slightly used.

·
USMC Tanker
457 Posts
Never had any slippage on mine. Even high rpm ass haulin up, down and around mountain roads near Chattanooga last month.

·
VRSCF
1,299 Posts
Ive had a new Metz on each year for the last 5 years and never had any slipping.

There has to be something causing this. Could the tyre have got anything on it ? Had a coolant change recently? coolant is really slippery and hard to get off. An overfill and drip out of the overflow pipe in front of rear tyre could make it really slippery

·
119WHP/88lbsTQ
138 Posts
I just put the 880's on my CVO..260 on the rear and it hooks up very well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lost tire grip

That's what is written on the sidewall..
Yes, it could be one of the reason. Proper tire pressure.

The other reason, I have personally experienced is the bad condition of my OEM rear shocks. On some more agressive turns I have experienced slippery of my back tire.
I have neglected that very much. After I changed with new shocks (not OEM) type all back to normal. Now my grip is still very good even the tires are not new.

I have other complain. It is about the front tire. Which is worn out already. Tires are on 12000km only.
Worn out is side belts, while center part is still good condition, probably due to a lot of windings on my routes in my place. I think the Metzeler use two components for making tires and soft is aside the center belt.
Now planning to change to Night Dragon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.